Doubling Up (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Am I correct in thinking there is no longer a cash bonus for doubling up at Indy, winning the Traxxas Shootout and the event? If not, there really should be. In all the talk about declining TV ratings, I don't think I've heard anyone mention purses in awhile. In this day and age, big numbers get people's attention. With Traxxas stepping up with the shootouts, NHRA needs to do their part and offer the double-up incentive like in the old days. At least, IMO.

Am I correct in thinking there is no longer a cash bonus for doubling up at Indy, winning the Traxxas Shootout and the event? If not, there really should be. In all the talk about declining TV ratings, I don't think I've heard anyone mention purses in awhile. In this day and age, big numbers get people's attention. With Traxxas stepping up with the shootouts, NHRA needs to do their part and offer the double-up incentive like in the old days. At least, IMO.
According to this he did ... $100k for the shootout and $100k for the event

NHRA Story » Langdon, Hight, Edwards, Hall revel in U.S. Nationals glory

Right, but I meant a bonus from the NHRA for winning both. In the past, NHRA offered a bonus to anyone who could win both on the same weekend, maybe it was $50K.

think the 100k monday purse was 50k coca-cola and 50k nhra for doubling up.....could be wrong

They quit with the double up Bonus sometime back. Can't remember the year... This one is a little fuzzy in the memory bank, but it goes something like this.....

Scelzi won the finals, the Shootout was delayed to the Winternationals. Scelzi won both events, but they didn't give him the double up bonus because they moved the date, so it wasn't offically a "double up". Scelzi/AJ thought they should get it becasue they won what what they were supposed to win. Made pretty big news back then. I think it was after that they cut out the bonus deal.

Last edited:
Didn't someone win $500k several years ago when they doubled up?

You may be thinking of Force way back in 96? He won the shootout, indy, and the championship all at the same time and had a near million dollar payday. I don't remember any other NHRA racer winning anything close to that.

well there you have it, wrong again....anyone know if r/u on down is also double pay?....and how about the number
of non-q's that get paid and how much?.....did Mike Edwards pocket $50k for his win?... John Hall $25k?

funny how all the reports of indy wave the 'traxxas shootout $100k' around like a lottery ticket winner, but then
post race reports say NOTHING about amounts won except for langdon's double win :rolleyes:

They quit with the double up Bonus sometime back. Can't remember the year... This one is a little fuzzy in the memory bank, but it goes something like this.....

Scelzi won the finals, the Shootout was delayed to the Winternationals. Scelzi won both events, but they didn't give him the double up bonus because they moved the date, so it wasn't offically a "double up". Scelzi/AJ thought they should get it becasue they won what what they were supposed to win. Made pretty big news back then. I think it was after that they cut out the bonus deal.

And as a bit of trivia... who won the Winternationals and almost the February double up after being in the Bud Classic finals?

And as a bit of trivia... who won the Winternationals and almost the February double up after being in the Bud Classic finals?

darrell russell: pro debut in amato's car.....ok i looked it up :eek:....did remember
d.r. winning winters in debut somewhere in correct era.

Just to clarify, I know that Indy pays 100k to win in fuel. And we know that Traxxas pays 100K for their shootouts. I'm very glad Traxxas is in the sport, and that they brought back the shootouts, which have helped in restoring the Indy magic. I just think NHRA should step up and provide the added incentive to someone who can manage to win both on the same weekend, by throwing an extra 50-100K at the racer who doubles. For that matter, would it hurt them to add a bonus to a sportsman racer who wins 2 eliminators at one event? Like my hometown hero Dan Fletcher did recently. The sportsman eliminators pay very little, it would be great if a racer who managed a double got an extra $5K or whatever, it certainly doesn't happen very often.

Well, given the fact they the TV folks kept hyping the opportunity to "double up" you'd think NHRA or TRAXXAS would provide an extra prize.

'Kinda surprised that TRAXXAS or the NHRA doesn't just up-front a special insurance policy (i.e. similar to hole-in-one awards) to cover it. That way, costs are firmly established in-advance.

Well, given the fact they the TV folks kept hyping the opportunity to "double up" you'd think NHRA or TRAXXAS would provide an extra prize.

'Kinda surprised that TRAXXAS or the NHRA doesn't just up-front a special insurance policy (i.e. similar to hole-in-one awards) to cover it. That way, costs are firmly established in-advance.

Getting a company to sign on for the shootout money hasn't been an easy task as seen by the lack of shootouts over the years. Telling them (TRAXXAS) after coughing up $100 large X 2 plus NHRA's cut (whatever amount that was) that they could be on the hook for even more if the shootout winner wins the NHRA event could well be a deal killer.

I agree, my thinking was since Traxxas has stepped up in such a big way, it would be nice to see NHRA provide a bonus for a double-up.

The guy who came in 43rd (out of 43 cars) in last week's Atlanta NASCAR race won nearly as much money as Shawn Langdon did winning Top Fuel at NHRA's premier race. Doesn't quite seem fair. There's teams making $2-3 million a year qualifying for a NASCAR race, then dropping out on the first lap due to a 'vibration' or some other BS reason (you can't just drop out, you have to give them a reason). The winner pocketed over a million bucks.

I know, it's 3+ hours compared to 4 3.8 second bursts....still, seems like these guys need to be compensated a bit more.

Can't do the NASCAR vs. NHRA comparison when speaking of purses, the budgets are worlds apart, so it's apples & oranges. One of the tough things is the purse money for the Pros is divided into multiple classes, so the money is diluted. How much do you think it costs for a team in NASCAR to "make" 2-3Mil? Nobody's "making" any money racing a car unless they're underwritten by someone else.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back