MICROSOFT lobbyists pushing to vastly increase the number of foreign workers in (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
This is an organization to which I have subscribed, which sends alerts for items I have selected which are of interest to me. In this case, it calls for phone calls to be made to make a difference. Other alerts may be for faxes to be sent, and will include a link to the people in your district to whom the faxes should be sent. Just by clicking on the link, and selecting a pre-written statement or writing one of your own, then clicking on 'send' your fax is sent directly to the Senators/Congressmen. I could not possibly be any easier to let your representatives in Washington know how YOU feel about items before the Senate & Congress. Members of NumbersUSA have successfully made a difference in many, many issues.

This specific action alert is about Microsoft lobbyists who bombarded the Senate yesterday in a last minute attempt to ram through the Cornyn Skil Act which will vastly increase the number of American jobs being done by foreign workers. If this is an issue for YOU, please take one moment of your day today, to make these calls. If you do not act, then don't be surprised if YOUR job is filled by a foreign worker one day. Please step up and do something about a situation which affects so many Americans!

All the information you need is enclosed below! YOU can make a difference. If you'd like to sign up with NumbersUSA, here is a link.
NumbersUSA Please encourage others to act TODAY ...Jackee
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thursday 7DEC06 3:15 a.m. EST

Phone Senators this morn -- Cornyn SKIL Act giant increase in foreign workers ready to pass
YOU'VE STOPPED EVERY OTHER IMMIGRATION DISASTER THIS YEAR ...

... NOW STOP THIS LAST ATTEMPT BEFORE CONGRESS GOES HOME

Please phone the congressional leaders listed below and urge them:

"Do NOT entertain debate on Sen. Cornyn's H-1B bill. Oppose all increases in H-1B visas."

Capitol Switchboard
202-224-3121

By the time you wake up later this morning and read this, Sen. Cornyn (R-TX) will be well on his way to ramming through a bill to radically increase foreign workers in the tech, nursing, physical therapy, science and engineering fields.

Believe me, the only way to defeat this last-minute desperation attempt by Robber Baron Tech Corporations to keep wages low is if Senate offices are stunned today by the public outcry against this disreputable maneuver.

A swarm of Mic rosoft lobbyists -- surely reeking of the musty odor of giant wads of campaign contributions -- buzzed and stang their way through Senate offices Wednesday, demanding that they and others of their ilk be given hundreds of thousands more foreign workers next year.

Will you let them once again get their way at the very last minute of a Congress?

PHONE THESE CONGRESSIONAL LEADERS NOW

I am sending this email to the more than 20,000 of you who have told us that you (or somebody close to you) works in the tech, nursing, physical therapy, science or engineering field.

I am also sending a similar alert to the other 215,000 members of the NumbersUSA Network, asking them to call their own Senators on this matter.

But I am asking you to go to the leaders of Senate and House who are most in a position to stop the Microsoft/Cornyn effort.

If you have any connection to the suffering caused by the H-1B program, mention it to the staffer.

Please call as many of these as you can:

Senate Majority Republican Leaders
Sen. Frist (R-TN)
Sen. McConnell (R-KY)
Sen. Santorum (R-PA)
Sen. Kyl (R-AZ)
Sen. Lott (R-MS)

Senate Minority Democratic Leaders
Sen. Reid (D-NV)
Sen. Durbin (D-IL)
Sen. Dodd (D-CT)

House Majority Republican Leaders
Rep. Hastert (R-IL)
Rep. Boehner (R-OH)
Rep. Blunt (R-MO)
Rep. Cantor (R-VA)

House Minority Democratic Leaders
Rep. Pelosi (D-CA)
Rep. Hoyer (D-MD)
Rep. Emmanuel (D-IL)

Tell Senate leaders to not let Cornyn's bill come up on the floor for any kind of discussion.

Tell House leaders to inform Senate leaders that they will NOT bring the bill up if the Senate passes it.

in this email:
1. Call these congressional leaders

2. A key fact for your call

3. The short story of Sen. Cornyn's perfidy against American workers

4. MORE ARGUING POINTS
actions in brief:
Phone Senate & House leaders to stop giant increase in foreign skilled workers.

Refer all friends to the NumbersUSA.com website.

This faxing system is 100% financed by the voluntary generosity of the 235,000- plus Americans who use it.

A KEY FACT FOR YOUR CALL

The United States has lost 700,000 high-tech American jobs in the past 4 years.

The country is awash in American tech workers who are now unemployed or working outside their field. While the tech lobbyists claim the companies face a labor shortage and won't be able to keep providing benefits to the economy without more foreign labor, there are plenty of skilled Americans available.

Same thing goes for nurses and physical therapists. Offer better pay for nursing and underemployed nurses will come out of the woodwork.

Each year, thousands of American students who qualify can't get into Physical Therapy schools because the schools feel no pressure to expand their enrollment while such a large percentage of physical therapy jobs are being filled by foreign therapists.

The message to Congress must be t hat it should NOT foreclose the future for our own American students who are seeking jobs in these fields.

The Short Story of Sen. Cornyn's Perfidy Against American Skilled Workers

Americans had been assured that the clock had already run out on this kind of sneak-pass play. Congress was supposed to be in town this week just to pass a Continuing Resolution to keep the federal government funded.

But tech industry lobbyists -- desperate to continue to hold down wages with foreign labor -- have stopped the legislative clock.

A near-football team of Microsoft blockers, tackles and fleet-footed lobbyists (10 of them!) roamed the Senate hallways Wednesday looking for a way score on their usual last-minute, rule-breaking, end-of-Congress style.

Many times in recent years, Microsoft and other tech lobbyists have sneaked through major increases in H-1B visas just as Con gress was leaving town.

Since being publicly embarrassed in the late 1990s by debating the merits of this kind of legislation publicly, Congress has declined to pass these H-1B visa increases in the true light of day, with standard debate and using normal procedures.

But nearly all inside staffers told us they had received assurances from congressional leaders that no sneak play would be allowed this year.

On Tuesday, Senate staffers were stunned to see Sen. Cornyn suddenly emerge as the person willing to bring shame on himself by carrying the Robber Barons' water and force his pet project ahead of all others.

We sent an email to all our members last Friday, asking for steady pressure on Senators to make sure they knew public sentiment in case something like this happened.

Then Tuesday afternoon, we got word that Cornyn was trying to ram his bill onto the Senate floor. We went to all of our members in about a dozen states with Senators who often fight for American workers against foreign labor importation. We stirred up a flurry of phone calls.

We were pleased that by late Tuesday, many of those Senators had placed "holds" on Cornyn's bill. But those holds tend to have power to only slow the process down for awhile and can be overcome if Senate leadership decides to do so. The word we had late Wednesday was that the "holds" were breaking as Microsoft's lobbyists gathered more support.

You are calling the congressional leaders just stop the bill from moving to the floor and to concentrate instead on spending bills.

MORE ARGUING POINTS

Prof. Norm Matloff of the University of California has given this advice to tech professionals and engineers:

"Ask to speak to someone who handles immigration issues. Do NOT be long-winded. Keep it down to two or three sentences, something like 'I O PPOSE any increase to the H-1B program. The program is just used as cheap labor. Thank you.' If you are asked to elaborate ("Isn't it true that our schools aren't producing enough programmers and engineers?"), then do so, but otherwise keep it SHORT AND SIMPLE. And make sure they understand that you OPPOSE the H-1B increase (some of the staffers get it wrong)."

Dr. Matloff has done many papers showing that there is no shortage of programmers and engineers.

For much more information about this issue go to our page at:

Numbers USA
For me, the clincher in the debate is that the tech industry has resolutely fought any effort inside Congress to require that their solicitation of foreign workers be entirely public and transparent. If they truly need the workers, then they should not object to posting these jobs on a special internet website so that all Americans would first have the opportunity to apply for the jobs and then for that website to keep a record of each company that ends up hiring foreign workers, the number of workers for each company and a description of the
job duties and pay for each. This would expose a lot of the fraud that currently is in the program.
But the tech companies want nothing of that kind of good-faith behavior.

Connect this vote with the personal story you can tell about the impact of foreign worker programs on you or somebody you know.

THANKS,

-- ROY

Last edited:
Update !

Date: Thursday 7DEC06 10:30 a.m. EST

What to do if nobody answers phone in Senate -- Stop the Cornyn doubling of foreign workers
UPDATE ON TODAY'S CRITICAL BATTLE

No. 1:Many of you are telling us that nobody is answering the phone when you call Senators this morning.

That is a wonderful sign. It means that NumbersUSA Network members are keeping all the staff busy so they can't answer every phone call that comes in.

If nobody answers the phone in the DC office, then look up the Senator's home state offices and start calling some of them.
Numbers USA

The point will be to cause every state office staff person to understand that this issue is THE BIG ISSUE of the week for their constituents. Believe me, somebody from those offices will be getting in touch with the Washington office about the uproar.

No. 2: Just keep all phones busy -- DC and home state -- but make your calls short so others can get through.

No. 3: Those of you who will be directly affected if Cornyn succeeds -- those in tech, engineering, physical therapy, science, nursing fields -- need to keep calling DC and home state offices of the leadership list I sent you in the middle of the night.

No. 4: We will likely be changing the information on our home page at least once an hour today to reflect any changes in the situation here. Keep up to date at:
NumbersUSA

No. 5: We may send out several Action Alerts today. I f you don't want to be kept that informed and receive so many emails, make sure you are registered for MODERATE ACTIVISM on this page: (deleted, as it is my information)

No. 6: Be assured that your NumbersUSA Capitol Hill Team -- though nothing of the size of the swarm of Microsoft lobbyists -- is making contacts throughout the Senate this morning (as it has the last two weeks) trying to avert this disaster.

Their reports to me in the last 15 minutes indicate that either almost nobody has any idea what leadership is about to do on the Cornyn bill or they are in a conspiracy of silence.

Our best friends in the Senate and the House were telling us late last night that they feared they were not going to be able to hold back the Microsoft lobbying surge. No change in that information this morning.

Please phone the congressional leaders listed below and urge them:

"Do NOT entertain debate on Sen. Cornyn's H-1B bill. Oppose all increases in H-1B visas."

Will you let them once again get their way at the very last minute of a Congress?

CALL YOUR U.S. SENATORS

I am asking you to call your own Senators on this matter.

(I have sent a separate alert to t he members of our Network who are in the affected fields of work, asking them to phone the leadership in both House and Senate.)

Please call both of your Senators.

Tell your Senators to NOT let Cornyn's bill come up on the floor for any kind of discussion.
in this email:
(deleted because this brings you to my senators)

2. A key fact for your call

3. The short background to understand today's battle

4. MORE ARGUING POINTS
actions in brief:
Phone your two U.S. Senators to stop giant increase in foreign skilled workers.

Refer all friends to the NumbersUSA.com website.

Check for your latest free faxes to send to Congress & the Administration at:

Homeland security-Cronyn's threat to US economy

Someone sent me a copy of an email they sent to Homeland Security office

Category: Security Threats

Please USE YOUR INFLUENCE TO STOP Sen. Cornyn's H-1 Bill and H-1B visas which would vastly increase the number of foreigners doing American jobs. I believe this to be a SECURITY THREAT TO OUR ECONOMY. I am speaking, particularly, about the technical jobs, for which I am familiar. I have been searching since July, and can't find one. I am constantly called by foreign employment "headhunters." The foreigners are taking over the technical industry. If this CONTINUES, they will know more about our computer systems than we do. Did it ever occur to anyone that this is a security risk??

DON'T YOU THINK THEY COULD CRIPPLE OUR ECONOMY! HOW MANY COMPANIES would be brought to their knees if there were a technological attack. WAKE UP!!! This threat may not cause bodily harm to our people, but it would certainly destroy our economy. Thanks for listening. This has been a concern of mine for some time.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back