Dom Lagana? (1 Viewer)

I'm wondering what kinda injuries he had where they had to induce him in a coma? Don't want to be prying into personal business but it has to worse than we all think.

One report last week mentioned there were burns over 50% of his body. Praying this was not true.......

Burn centers can do miracles. I worked for 18 years at the County hospital in Phoenix. We had a burn center that was the best in the southwest, & I think one of the best in the country. People went in there & you'd think they're not gonna make it, but they did. It is a long, hard fight to recover from burns, physically & mentally. Pray that Dom has the strength & the will to survive this.

I'm wondering what kinda injuries he had where they had to induce him in a coma? Don't want to be prying into personal business but it has to worse than we all think.
The coma is so that you don't freak out and try to rip the intubation out of your windpipe.... I was in one for 5 days, hands tied down, while they healed my pneumonia, rinsed the inside of my lungs out with saline (called a "lavage") and put a camera down there to observe the damage that you can't see with a CAT scan. I guess with severe smoke inhalation (hopefully not flame inhalation like some Indycar drivers died from) they paralyzed his lung function like they did with me so that you don't fight the ventilator. They have to wean you slowly off of the paralytic drugs and the machinery breathing for you. They also have to keep you from drowning in pneumonia from all the fluids your body creates from the immune system response to the irritation in the alveoli (air sacs) and the interstitium ( supporting framework for the delicate alveolar sacs ) , which is where my trouble was. Antibiotics will treat the infections, strong steroids will suppress the immune response.

Dom and the Lagana family really need our support during this recovery....it won't be quick. Add to this repairing his burns and he will be in the hospital for months.

Last edited:
As Bob mentioned above, some Indy 500 drivers died because of their burns, especially if they inhaled fire into their lungs. Years ago, John Zookeeper Mulligan was burned in a bad T/F fire at our Indy. The fire got into his lungs & he died 2 weeks later. This was my biggest fear about Dom. I didn't want to mention it. Haven't seen any info that says Dom was burned in the lungs, so that is good. A person can recover from outside burns. We had a Phoenix police officer some years ago that got rear ended by a Taxi driver who had a seizure. Was going almost 100 MPH when he hit the police car. The officer recovered, but his face (and body) was so badly burned you couldn't recognize him. I used to see him at the hospital. There are burn patients that can use wigs, prosthetic noses, ears, etc and look somewhat normal. Pray that Dom doesn't have to do that. Don Garlits can tell you stories about being burned.

"As Bob mentioned above, some Indy 500 drivers died because of their burns, especially if they inhaled fire into their lungs. Years ago, John Zookeeper Mulligan was burned in a bad T/F fire at our Indy. The fire got into his lungs & he died 2 weeks later. "

I don't think John Mulligan died from smoke/fire inhalation. I believe it is noted either on the WDIFL website or the website about the re-created Beebe and Mulligan dragster that he was actually doing pretty well and was up and talking to visitors, etc when he got some infections related to the burns - I think maybe it was kidney related - and died from the infections. If he had those injuries today it is speculated that he would have easily survived.

Hi Jon. I had always read that Mulligans' lungs got burned. But after reading what you wrote, I'd agree that's what killed him. I wish they had the knowledge that todays Docs have, and agree Mulligan would have survived.

"As Bob mentioned above, some Indy 500 drivers died because of their burns, especially if they inhaled fire into their lungs. Years ago, John Zookeeper Mulligan was burned in a bad T/F fire at our Indy. The fire got into his lungs & he died 2 weeks later. "

I don't think John Mulligan died from smoke/fire inhalation. I believe it is noted either on the WDIFL website or the website about the re-created Beebe and Mulligan dragster that he was actually doing pretty well and was up and talking to visitors, etc when he got some infections related to the burns - I think maybe it was kidney related - and died from the infections. If he had those injuries today it is speculated that he would have easily survived.
What I heard from Kenny Stafford who was there with Mulligan was he never got up and was in terrible screaming pain when his body shut down and he passed

What I heard from Kenny Stafford who was there with Mulligan was he never got up and was in terrible screaming pain when his body shut down and he passed
The Death Cry worst sound you will ever hear and remember I've heard it twice and I hope never again

One of the things I forgot to mention... when they were wheeling my gurney down to the operating room or whatever room they were going to do my procedure in, they turned right around and quickly ran me back up to my ICU room. My oxygen levels had dropped so low after taking me off the room spigot and hooking me up to a tank on the gurney that they were afraid I wouldn't survive the trip down. Back in the ICU room, the doctor came in and did the whole coma/ventilator/intubation procedure right there.

Lungs with smoke damage would be even more sensitive to getting the right amount of oxygen. I hope Dom has minimal damage in there.
I was on oxygen the entire time I was in the hospital...they thought I would need it at home too, but luckily my levels were up to around 92-93 so I skipped getting the equipment (there was some red tape getting it under my insurance anyway...)

5 days later , when I was coming out of the anesthesia, I didn't understand how dire things had been. I didn't get the whole story about how close it was until I was home 3 weeks later....

Last edited:
Bob, I think it wasn't your time to pass. I bet everyone in here has had an experience where you thought you could have died. I was in a car accident when I first got out of the USAF, around 1968. Was with a buddy in a 1965 Chevelle, with the rear end raised up (as was the style then). We were turning left, a drunk in a Corvair ran the red light & hit us on passenger side. Everything went black, & I came to looking at a hole in the windshield where my head hit it. A cop saw the accident happen, we all went to the hospital, & all of us survived w/ minor injuries. I don't think anyone was wearing seat belts. Realized later that because the Chevelle was jacked up in the back, the Corvair hit us "lower" than normal, & probably why we survived. Bible says each person has an "appointed time" (how long you live) and until that time life will go on. Just don't skate board..... heh

Bob, I think it wasn't your time to pass. I bet everyone in here has had an experience where you thought you could have died. I was in a car accident when I first got out of the USAF, around 1968. Was with a buddy in a 1965 Chevelle, with the rear end raised up (as was the style then). We were turning left, a drunk in a Corvair ran the red light & hit us on passenger side. Everything went black, & I came to looking at a hole in the windshield where my head hit it. A cop saw the accident happen, we all went to the hospital, & all of us survived w/ minor injuries. I don't think anyone was wearing seat belts. Realized later that because the Chevelle was jacked up in the back, the Corvair hit us "lower" than normal, & probably why we survived. Bible says each person has an "appointed time" (how long you live) and until that time life will go on. Just don't skate board..... heh
Cliff, I definitely believe in that. I had two experiences like that. At Indy four years ago I was driving from Avon to the track on a wet country road and I rounded a curve only to see a woman in a SUV spinning out of country heading right for me for a head on collision with no where for me to go. Somehow she missed me. I stopped to see if she was OK and told her, God was riding with you today. Walking back to my car I realized God was riding with me too. A couple of years ago that 737-MAX plan crashed in Ethiopia. My wife and I were scheduled for that exact flight a month later. It was not our time. We did take the flight, obviously not on a 737-MAX but were a bit nervous the whole time.

Cliff, I definitely believe in that. I had two experiences like that. At Indy four years ago I was driving from Avon to the track on a wet country road and I rounded a curve only to see a woman in a SUV spinning out of country heading right for me for a head on collision with no where for me to go. Somehow she missed me. I stopped to see if she was OK and told her, God was riding with you today. Walking back to my car I realized God was riding with me too. A couple of years ago that 737-MAX plan crashed in Ethiopia. My wife and I were scheduled for that exact flight a month later. It was not our time. We did take the flight, obviously not on a 737-MAX but were a bit nervous the whole time.
I believe you time is set when your born. I truly believe I have nine lives I have used up 4 of them to date. There's still work for me to take care of..

My Dad raced flat track motorcycle til he was 74 years old. His last race he wound up in the wall. Fourteen broken bones, 1 week in intensive care, 1 week in general care, a month relaxing at home. He continued to skydive and be very active until he passed at 91.
I always told him God reached into the bowl picked up a handful of numbers, dropped all of them but one, his was one of the ones dropped, it wasn't his time.

This was from the year before when we got back home. The bandage on his leg is from the exhaust burning thru his leathers. Made some adjustments for the next year.

fullsizeoutput_201.jpeg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back