Divisional Attendance (2 Viewers)

It just solidfies that people come to see the pro fuels cars yet people still complain when people want them to have their own venue now you know why! :rolleyes:
If they didn't let the divisional guy's compete at national events hardly anybody would attend yet people insist they are the backbone of the association.
I do attend any divisonal event's in my area to support them most of the new fans couldn't care less and the attendace proves it.

Divisionals need to have the ProMod class and need to be not run at national tracks and if they are need to be a month out. Also ticket and radio promotions etc. need to be in the mix.

Mike, we'll be there in person, but not with th car. They don't have anywhere we can run, and exhibition runs have been iffy at best. They depend on oil downs and other problems. It still is one of the greatest events going.
Dave Hough

I personally prefer divisional races. As a spectator you can get much closer to the racing. just pick a seat or stand by the rail. No crowds. Haven't met a Lucas Oil racer who didn't treat you like a friend. I think people are missing a GREAT thing by not going. But NO back to back races.
Lee
Nitroclovers

low risk profit, decent to strong return....that coupled with lazy track directors and you get no crowd divisionals.

as mentioned in a few threads, the business structure is set up where if the track has a decent turnout as far as car counts go, they make money.

that is why i'm continually lobbying for either a regional series or fixing the divisional series. having a race as big as a divisional with no crowd is terrible for every single sportsman class, alcohol down to sportsman motorcycle.

there are a few exceptions to the rule, tracks that get crowds, some get paying crowds. it's my opinion that nhra or lucas needs to start holding tracks accountable. either start getting some people through the gate, whatever means, or we'll take our series race somewhere that does.

the recent interview with steve earwood on comp plus says alot. i've helped manage a local track, and he's absolutely right, if you're not constantly beating the door down of local newspapers, they won't cover your track.

the new nhra regime would be wise to hire earwood, densmore and bader to take nhra to the 'next level'

If there weren't 23-24 national events, plus IHRA's 10-12 races a year, I think 8 car pro fields, or match races would help fill the stands.

When Maple Grove still had the 8 car FC & 8 car PS fields for the "Super Stock" Nationals, it was a really good show, and really good crowds.

I think Pro Mods would help the ticket sales at divisional races.

I don't think you need pro mods at divisionals, you need promotion TAD/TAFC are plenty exciting and so is comp. People just need to know that there is something going on. The events at Bandimere are great examples.

S/F
D

Exactly! NHRA needs to hold the tracks accountable! Since NHRA is now sportsman only assoc. they can concentrate on getting the division events back up to par. It screws the racers up as far as getting sponsors when you are racing in a series with no spectators. How dumb is that?

"Well said," to all who have posted.
I believe that a presenting sponsor is needed for the Series. I have mentioned this to Forrest Lucas - he's the Title Sponsor, but he needs help in each market driving new fans to the track. The Bandimere folks work with a sponsor - Grease Monkey - and fill their facility. We need that across the country.
If not Grease Monkey, mayhap, a fast food franchise or FedEx Kinko's. A business with a lot of outlets and needing traffic to their stores. It's also a great employee morale opportunity.
I'd change the name, too. Something like Pan American Series to help newcomers understand that it is a big deal. (The NHRA could run some non-point Pan American Invitationals in markets that are not adaptable to the Divisional racers such as: Hawaii, Alaska, and Mexico).
While the ProMods might be a great addition; I would argue that the TAFC's and the "Alcohol" dragsters should remain the headliners. I'll renew my "ProComp" suggestion: run the TAFC's, TAD's, A/Fuel cars, and the ProMods in separate, 8 car fields. Run off the winners using a calculated handicap. (I would calculate the handicap by using an averaged E.T. from each event and the average of that number with the National Record - whatever).
I always attend the Divisional in Denver because the alcohol cars are no longer invited to the MoPar Mile High Nationals. TAFC is the best show in town.
Cheers,
Ed

I hate to blow your crowd estimates fellas, but 3,000 people at Sacramento would be a big crowd. To have 10,000 people there you would have to have more than a 1000 cars in the parking lot with 10 people per car !!!! 1500 will fill the grandstands completely, a good day at the March meet is 8,000 !!!!
The giving away of the gate tickets might be the only thing to increase attendance, but then the track would lose the ticket sales on the racer family's tickets as well, they might go in the hole on that note !

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back