Dear NHRA RE:Hot Memphis (1 Viewer)

Jim and Mike,

No offense but it sure seems that you guys are complaining about this for purely self-centered reasons.

If not, then answer my question as to what race are you going to put in the current Memphis date? How do you coordinate that with the rest of schedule? And... by moving Memphis and putting that date someplace else aren't you just moving the population center for the people who will then complain about "their" race being miserable because of the weather?

And your complaints about parking issues and other stuff is falling entirely on deaf ears. Because that's the way NHRA operates at just about every single national event on the tour!!

There are a ton of issue that go into when and where the races are going to be held. And weather isn't at the top of the list.

Jim and Mike,

No offense but it sure seems that you guys are complaining about this for purely self-centered reasons.

If not, then answer my question as to what race are you going to put in the current Memphis date? How do you coordinate that with the rest of schedule? And... by moving Memphis and putting that date someplace else aren't you just moving the population center for the people who will then complain about "their" race being miserable because of the weather?

And your complaints about parking issues and other stuff is falling entirely on deaf ears. Because that's the way NHRA operates at just about every single national event on the tour!!

There are a ton of issue that go into when and where the races are going to be held. And weather isn't at the top of the list.

I'm not self centered but I'm not sitting in miserable conditions to watch a race.There's plenty of options NHRA has with the dates but I'm not going to try and figure them out.I don't know what the schedule was when they had this race in October but the stands were full,I bet they were not full this weekend.I heard the weather was worse this year than last and that was unbearable and I can't even imagine that.If you ask me,they also need to do something with that strange schedule @ the start of the year.You have Pomona,Phoenix,G'ville then back across the country for Vegas.With the cost of fuel,they really need to look @ this,it seems crazy to me but then again,who am I.

... If you ask me,they also need to do something with that strange schedule @ the start of the year.You have Pomona,Phoenix,G'ville then back across the country for Vegas.With the cost of fuel,they really need to look @ this,it seems crazy to me but then again,who am I.
That's makes total sense when you realize that those races draw from overlapping population centers. Phoenix and Pomona are far enough apart and Phoenix draws from regions outside of Pomona. But if you threw Vegas in on top of that you'd have a huge overlap and over-saturation.

That's why you see the schedule and scratch your head as to why they don't put the races in a more direct driving route.

I really don't understand why they need to put a race between Brainerd and Indy. It sounds like Maple Grove may end up getting switched to August, which would make that race in hot conditions. I can't understand why they would want to switch Maple Grove to the middle of August when it is one of few places that draws well after Labor Day. I agree that Memphis has to be moved from where it is now, but if another race goes into that mid-August date we'll be trading one race with miserable conditions for another with almost as miserable conditions as Memphis. I think they should leave two open weekends between Brainerd and Indy and fill in the gap before the fall race in Vegas.

Greg, exactly what part of 14 sucessfull years in May...

and then move it to August do you not understand???

"EVERY TICKET IS A PIT PASS!!!" From the NHRA TV commercials.

Monday rain date: Close pit side parking... screw 'em... make 'em walk.

It's not an issue of being self centered. At 110 degrees, it's an issue of self preservation.

I agree with you that up untill now the weather hasn't been a "factor" with the NHRA setting their schedule.

To show my appreciation, next August the NHRA won't be "factor" when I set my schedule.

Last edited:
Jim and Mike,

Don't tell me there aren't any options... The forecast high this Friday for Norwalk OH is 84 degrees... The forecast right here for Friday is 99 degrees. I went again this year & it was just as bad as last year. Having a race in the muggy mid-south in August is just askin for trouble.

Fans were miserable & so were racers. Sportsman car counts were down & the stands were less than capacity. I talked to several racers who said these conditions were ridiculous.

And a week ago here it was 104 just like every year in August. My point is it was too damn hot and I ain't doin it again.

... Sportsman car counts were down & the stands were less than capacity. I talked to several racers who said these conditions were ridiculous.
Sportsman car counts are down at all national events... so what's your point.

As for the ridiculous conditions...

Try racing in Phoenix, Vegas, Bakersfield, Boise, or any other dozen location in August where it is 95* plus everyday.

I've been in both Phoenix & Las Vegas on 95 -100 degree days & I'll take it over a 100 degree Alabama day anytime...

But anyway, you keep your opinion, I'll keep mine...

The actual "point" isn't that it's hot in August. (Duh.)

The point is a 14 year scheduled race was moved from May to August.

Thankfully, the NHRA has finally seen the error of their ways. I've been informed that next year's race will in fact be moved from the month of August. That's really all I wanted/needed to hear. Simple as that.

My work here is done...

And here in Southeastern Virginia, we get rain every weekend during the spring, summer is just HOT and Muggy, and from mid-September through the end of October we get Tropical storm or Hurricanes. But I'm still happy we've got a race first weekend in October and I'm gonna be there now matter what. But it seems we get our nicest weather between Thanksgiving and New Years Day... Seems like it's always about 65-70 Christmas Day... So can the NHRA move our Race to the first week in December? :rolleyes:

Just got word that the Memphis race will be Sept 14-16 next year & return to traditional day/night format.

I think we all can agree that sitting in Bleacher's or walking around in 95-100 degree weather sucks! Which is why I maintain more Night races in the Summer months!

Thankfully, the NHRA has finally seen the error of their ways. I've been informed that next year's race will in fact be moved from the month of August. That's really all I wanted/needed to hear. Simple as that.

And they've replaced it with a race at another track where it gets very hot in August.

Why do people in Memphis think it only gets hot there in the summer?

Jim

And they've replaced it with a race at another track where it gets very hot in August.

Why do people in Memphis think it only gets hot there in the summer?

Jim

What part of absolutely the most miserable conditions do ya'll not understand.I don't know about this year because I wasn't there,I kept my promise of not going back because of the heat.I do know about 05 because I was there.They hauled something like 60 people out of the place because of heat related problems.There were people sitting/laying down in any shade they could find and doing what ever it took to survive.Is this how you want to spend your entertainment dollar? hell no it isn't. NHRA got the message,the crowd was off bad again this year.I've said it before and I'll say it again,the object is to put butts in the seats,the butts didn't come.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back