Dear NHRA RE:Hot Memphis (1 Viewer)

chop

Nitro Member
Just to let you know,it's going to be a 100 on Friday,a 100 on Saturday and then it cools off to 97 on Sunday.I swore after last year that I wouldn't go back if it was that hot again,so I'll stay home and spend my money elsewhere.I also know alot of guys who feel the same way about you moving this race to the hottest part of the year.I've heard rumors that you're going to move the race to the week after Labor Day next year,good move.I know,you have other races where it's hot but these temps coupled with HIGH humidity is unbearable.This race was awesome when held in October,some of the largest crowds I've seen was during this date.I wish you well spectator wish this weekend,you're going to need it.

I don't know what it is about Memphis, but I think that place just soaks up the heat when it comes to race day(s). I've been to that track several times for NHRA and NMCA events. We would always stay in Millington (cheaper than Memphis) and I swear it can be 65 in town, but as soon as you get near the track it's like it jumps up 30 degrees immediately. It's not even that bad down here at HRP and it's HUMIDITY country!

I feel for everyone that's going to that race. If I still attended races at that track I probably wouldn't be going this year. It's just too HOT for Memphis this time of year!

No TA/FC, or T/AD, so why bother going anyway.:confused: More than likely be a smoke-em if ya got them race on sun.:(

Eeeeasy there, KRider.....Indy in a couple of weeks with all the alchol/Jr. Fuel cars you could ask for!! I'm flyin' out Thurs morning, the 31st!! I am stoked!!

Late...........................Mitch

Just to let you know, it's going to be a 100 on Friday, a 100 on Saturday and then it cools off to 97 on Sunday. I swore after last year that I wouldn't go back if it was that hot again, so I'll stay home and spend my money elsewhere. ..

Ennis use to have two races a year and the last one that was in late May was so hot, you could not drink enough anything to keep cool. I also swore I would not waste my money for a race during that time of year, but "luckily", NHRA cancelled the spring race at Ennis and now we only have one.

However, with it being 100+ degrees for over 30 days so far in Dallas this summer and no end in sight :mad: , no telling what the temps will be for the Sept 21-24 race here? :eek:

Yeah, I'm kinda wary of what it's going to be like in Ennis in late September, but it's not gonna stop me!

Baytown's 2 races were always April and October.....I miss the October one.

I was thinking about the Dallas Heat yesterday when I saw it 104,106 degrees. I thought, Man I am going to burn up in Dallas in Sept. I hate that Dallas and Houston only have 1 race now though, especially Houston. The Houston Oct race use to be real nice, the one in April isint bad but it rains most years atleast some or theres always a big threat if it doesnt rain.

I would go to Memphis if it weren't for the heat. Even though it is a "night" race, I'm not sure about Memphis but it is still about 95 in the Dallas area around 10:00pm.

Not to hijack the thread, but I would like to see the Ennis race moved to later in October and make it one of the "night" races as well.

Things change, schedules get suffled around, learn to live with it!

Be glad that Columbus even has a race! If NHRA didn't own the track do you think they'd still be racing there with all the historically bad stuff that track has produced?

Think about the Autolites and how they have been run in the hottest part of the year in California from day one. This was the first year in memory when we actually had decent race conditions for the entire weekend.

There are always going to be races that have bad race conditions. That's jus the nature of the business.

I heard long ago the only thing worth seeing Memphis was either Graceland or the Blues bars. The track's a dump!

Don't forget about the ever popular black joined together "love bugs":( We call them something else all together, but can't say it here.:D

I know about the "love bugs" as well. I hate it when they get all over my car!!!! We probably call them the same thing as you & you are very right, you can't say it here!!!!!:D

Does anyone remember when there was a National Event (called the Cajuns I think) in Baton Rouge, La? Talk about humid! :eek:

Yeah, I was lucky enough to have attended the Cajun Natonals the last year they ran it. I took three newbies to that race & two of 'em are still hooked to this day! It was the year the Castrol Team swept the pro's - Larry Morgan in Pro Stock, John Force in Funny Car & the late Gary Ormsby in Top Fuel. If memory serves me correctly it was also the first race after Darrell Gwynn's career ending crash and his trailer was there with his car on display while DRAW, among others, were accepting donations... a lot of them, as I recall.

Sorry I got off track - but that was a hot one Jackee, you're right about that.

Be glad that Columbus even has a race! If NHRA didn't own the track do you think they'd still be racing there with all the historically bad stuff that track has produced?
Whats so wrong with National Trail Raceway? Yeah, we had the Pro Stockers get squirrelly years back and their share of bad weather (I can`t remember a rain-out for at least 10 years). Track seems fine now , ask Shoe, his 336 record was set here. NHRA elected to hold an national event here 20 years before they owned it. You can find much worse tracks than Cols. At least you don`t have to worry about being fined for starting a mini-bike before 10AM like a lot of tracks.

.....Not to hijack the thread, but I would like to see the Ennis race moved to later in October and make it one of the "night" races as well.

It use to be in early October. However, that brings problems also?:mad: An early cold front out of the north bringing rains (we would not complain this year:D ), cold metal stands and a howling wind as the front moves thru. Which brings to mind that weather here in Texas is so unpredictable. The spring race had the hazards of spring thunderstorms also. Which also means you can't please everyone!:confused:

BTW, they race the pro class into Friday night every year. The only thing you have to fight there is the nonexistent Ennis police traffic control. Pay for parking across the main highway in the corn field to get a quick get away. Remember the year it rained so much before the race they had to bus you in from Ennis since the main parking area was too muddy to park in.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to have attended the Cajun Natonals the last year they ran it. I took three newbies to that race & two of 'em are still hooked to this day! It was the year the Castrol Team swept the pro's - Larry Morgan in Pro Stock, John Force in Funny Car & the late Gary Ormsby in Top Fuel. If memory serves me correctly it was also the first race after Darrell Gwynn's career ending crash and his trailer was there with his car on display while DRAW, among others, were accepting donations... a lot of them, as I recall.

Sorry I got off track - but that was a hot one Jackee, you're right about that.

I was there as well. I attended the Cajuns from 1984 until it ended in 1990. (I think) Hot/humid every year, showers nearly every year even if it lasted just a few minutes to make it more humid. The last time I was at Memphis, the temp got into triple digits all three days...hottest race I had ever been to. They had aid stations set up on both sides of the track for people being overcome by the heat. I saw one guy in bad shape being attended to. They put a ten pound bag of ice on this guy's bare back....he never even flinched.

It use to be in early October. However, that brings problems also?:mad: An early cold front out of the north bringing rains (we would not complain this year:D ), cold metal stands and a howling wind as the front moves thru. Which brings to mind that weather here in Texas is so unpredictable. The spring race had the hazards of spring thunderstorms also. Which also means you can't please everyone!:confused:

BTW, they race the pro class into Friday night every year. The only thing you have to fight there is the nonexistent Ennis police traffic control. Pay for parking across the main highway in the corn field to get a quick get away. Remember the year it rained so much before the race they had to bus you in from Ennis since the main parking area was too muddy to park in.

I know... never missed a race in Ennis. I'd rather deal with being cold than too hot.

Yeah the bus trips weren't fun. Also, the year when they had no parking attendants in the mud lot... that was crazy.

Things change, schedules get suffled around, learn to live with it.
There are always going to be races that have bad race conditions. That's jus the nature of the business.

The purpose is to put butts in the seats,when you move a race to the most miserable time of the year,the butts will not come.I talked to an insider and he told me that more people told him they were not going than were going to Memphis.Sure weather conditions change and NHRA can't control it but you @ least try to have the race when people don't have to be hauled out of the place because of heat related problems.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back