Daytona 500 Vs Winternationals (1 Viewer)

Maybe it's just me, but I'll never understand why some have such a disdain for other forms of racing. ......

Here here, Tony! While drag racing is my first love, I also love almost all other forms of motorsports. Up here, in Minnesota, I volunteer for stage rally racing, and have a ball. Because I have an amateur radio license, I get the juicier jobs like standing at the starting line and sending the cars off every two minutes. It's up close and personal for sure.

But I still participate in drag racing too, as my accounts in the sportsman threads will attest to.

I guess the main point is if you love car racing, as I do, you need to get past your disdain for other forms, and look at the competition.

Heckfire, I'm even fascinated by tractor pulling. OK, OK, I know that's pushing it. I just say that to show "it's different strokes for different folks!"

Now, they'd gotten away from having the 500 on the same weekend as the Winternats for a while, iffen I remember correctly. But it's probably a function of the calendar as much as anything else. But then, that's what your video recorder is for, right???? :)

Live long and prosper!

back when KB ran teams in 3 different series, seem to remember the
winters and daytona on same day - early 90's i think.

It's a bad idea to schedule it then. But then again who cares anymore? The press won't cover drag racing even if it was the only sport out there.

From a TV standpoint, this is Bad for NHRA! Going up against the Daytona 500 is a poor scheduling decision on NHRA's part.
They won't overlap. I'll watch the Daytona 500 all afternoon Sunday, then tune into the 50th Winternationals coverage that evening. Sounds like a great day of racing coverage to me, can't wait!;)

back when KB ran teams in 3 different series, seem to remember the
winters and daytona on same day - early 90's i think.

Good call Mike. I know for a fact the year Kenny rolled the Bud King over the wall at Pomona the Daytona 500 was the same day. 1993.

If it were Michigan, California, Kansas, Las Vegas, Watkins Glen I wouldn't care about NASCAR. It pains me to watch. However, to me the Daytona 500 is the biggest circle track race in the world today. I try to watch every race at Daytona, Bristol, and Talladega. Could careless about the rest.

I'm not missing a single drag race though.

Btw, Daytona starts this year at 1pm. Green Flag. So unless rain hits, the race should be long done before the BIG race of the day in Pomona. The money hawkers in NASCAR, Inc. finally got a clue.

I seem to recall the year Earnhardt died the races were on the same day and Marty Reid mentioned something about it on the telecast right before the finals.

They won't overlap. I'll watch the Daytona 500 all afternoon Sunday, then tune into the 50th Winternationals coverage that evening. Sounds like a great day of racing coverage to me, can't wait!;)

I guess it all depends on when the show airs! If it doesn't conflict, then yes I would say it's a full day of racing!;)

Nevermind that the RACES are scheduled at the same time.....we need to worry about them being on the same day as VALENTINE'S DAY! The day when most women demand our undivided attention. A day which it will be hard to stay away from the computer, hard to stay away from the TV. Schedule makers.......what were you thinking???????? If you guys think we all have understanding significant other's, you're mistaken!! :p

Last edited:
Nevermind that the RACES are scheduled at the same time.....we need to worry about them being on the same day as VALENTINE'S DAY! The day when most women demand our undivided attention.:p

I was just having that conversation with my wife when I was discussing our schedule. "...but that's the same weekend as Valentine's Day!":rolleyes:

Nevermind that the RACES are scheduled at the same time.....we need to worry about them being on the same day as VALENTINE'S DAY!

Ugh Valentine's Day :mad: I am good with most holidays but this one bugs me.

As for the races, watching the Daytona 500 during the day and Pomona at night.

shouldn't say anything because am also married, but v-day is just another
hallmark holiday - along with numerous others.

the winternationals should place banner across starting line in observance
of 50 yr. anniversary, same as banner that was in place for many years

Nevermind that the RACES are scheduled at the same time.....we need to worry about them being on the same day as VALENTINE'S DAY! The day when most women demand our undivided attention. A day which it will be hard to stay away from the computer, hard to stay away from the TV. Schedule makers.......what were you thinking???????? If you guys think we all have understanding significant other's, you're mistaken!! :p

Do what i'm doing-take your wife with you to Pomona! (My wife is just a lukewarm fan but she does attend one or two races a year with me.)

I seem to recall the year Earnhardt died the races were on the same day and Marty Reid mentioned something about it on the telecast right before the finals.

It was the same day as an NHRA event, but this occurred during the Checker Schucks Kragen Nationals, not the Winternationals.

Good call Mike. I know for a fact the year Kenny rolled the Bud King over the wall at Pomona the Daytona 500 was the same day. 1993.

If it were Michigan, California, Kansas, Las Vegas, Watkins Glen I wouldn't care about NASCAR. It pains me to watch. However, to me the Daytona 500 is the biggest circle track race in the world today. I try to watch every race at Daytona, Bristol, and Talladega. Could careless about the rest.

I'm not missing a single drag race though.

Btw, Daytona starts this year at 1pm. Green Flag. So unless rain hits, the race should be long done before the BIG race of the day in Pomona. The money hawkers in NASCAR, Inc. finally got a clue.

Actually that year, eliminations were completely rained out the previous Sunday, and ran the following Saturday, the day before Daytona. The telecast though, was on Sunday morning.

They won't overlap. I'll watch the Daytona 500 all afternoon Sunday, then tune into the 50th Winternationals coverage that evening.

True, but how many SoCal fans will choose to stay at home to watch Daytona on tv instead of attending Sunday eliminations? Sunday crowds at Pomona have been on the decline in recent years as it is.

I will watch my local news see the crashes and the winner crossing the finish line, (thats all they will show). Then on to espn2, only to find the womans semi-pro underwater ping-pong basketweaving qualifiers are running about 20 minutes late...... So I sit and make that "WHY" face at my TV......

The only thing I'd like to see in my Fantasy Land / Dream World someday, is both of these events covered on the same network, on the same day, at off-setting times, with each telecast recapping/promoting/making mention of the other.

...... and when that happens - I'll go play water volleyball on Mars

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back