Dale Armstrong (1 Viewer)

This is a man that NHRA needs to listen to. If it's good side by side racing, who cares if they're a few tenths and 15 mph slower. It's better cost wise for the racers and the sponsors. Something needs to be done and soon.

I was going to write something, but I don't feel like losing my cool tonight! I'm going to bed!

ah, come on mike, tell us how you really feel.
tell us how it's all about performance at ALL costs.

That was a good interview. NHRA really needs to listen guys like Dale. I found it interesting, that with all this talk about shorter tracks as being the solution to all the problems, Dale pointed out that the majority of the stress these cars are under occurs in the first 1/8 mile. Reducing the stress, and thereby reducing the carnage, would make everything safer and a lot more affordable. In another interview, Ken Black said the number to run a T/F car is 2.5 Mil, but 3 Mil would be better to allow for R & D. Folks, the $2-3 Mil sponsors are just not out there, no matter how we think we're the best bang for the buck in racing. So, the only way to prepare for the future is to rethink the fuel classes and create a safer, less destructive, more cost effective car. Think about this: David Powers is a very wealthy, successful businessman, as is Ken Black. These guys run in the circles of other wealthy people, and many other companies besides their own. Yet, look at how hard it is for them to land full-time sponsors. I really think that the only way to ensure the future of the fuel classes is to take measures to greatly reduce the operating costs of these cars.

Great interview, some pretty interesting insight from a guy who knows.

Thanks Bobby,

Rapid

I never once stated it's about performance at all costs. This subject is getting old. If you want to watch slower racing then cool, just don't lose your mind when AJ lowers the ET mark.

I catch your point, Michael... Even with the restrictions -of which I am in favor of a few of them for costs and safety (for the moment), one of the side effects will be a reduction in speed- FOR MOST TEAMS.

Team Schumacher, Team Force and a few others, that bankroll these things like they are making their own $1000 bill master stamping plates in the CNC room, will continue to be the teams that, even with smaller pumps, less air, less spark, more weight, etc.- because of their own R&D departments, as well as the availability of the engineering departments of their sponsors, will continue to be the leaders of the Low ET/ Top MPH Clubs.. It has always been said that Cubic Dollars has a natural headstart over Cubic Inches everytime.

I do believe the class racing will get closer, and the amount of competitors could possibly increase due to the costs stabilizing (they will never really go down), but when it comes to the Sunday final 4, barring any unforseen slips, those that have the capabilities to make their own (AJ, JFR) "better" parts will do so, and if those parts allow them to still run 4.4's and 350, you know that those guys will do it, leaving the 4.8/300 cars embarrasingly in the dust. More moola for those that got...

It is one step closer to F1 (or PSB), where rule details are imposed on individual teams and set-ups to keep the cars FAIRLY close to one another to keep it interesting. But until the rules are refined, a limited few will make all the big Sunday money for quite a while because since they play by the general rules of the game, they can still squeeze out that Tenth and 10MPH...

Time for a revamp of the whole mess, maybe? Or a new class- AAA/FD..AAA/FC (Affordable AA..) :rolleyes:

It's not a poor man's sport.. Step up or step off :cool:

This is a man that NHRA needs to listen to. If it's good side by side racing, who cares if they're a few tenths and 15 mph slower. It's better cost wise for the racers and the sponsors. Something needs to be done and soon.

Tracy, a few tenths would be a LOT more than 15 MPH slower.

Good to see Dale back. In my opinion I would rather see more side by side fuel car runs even if it was say 4.90's @300 or so.
But, as y'all know opinions are like ________........ everyone has one.

If he won't say it, I will. What's the point of motorsports if you are not running on the ragged edge? Racing, especially drag racing, is 100% about always going faster- never, ever slow down. If it was cheap and safe, what would be the point of watching? Then it's just your morning commute to work.

Chris....I agree...Fuel racing is the king of the sport and if ya have to ask how much it will cost you need to find a cheaper hobby...
Get rid of all these rules, rev limiter, gear ratios, nitro%, etc, and get back to running these things like they were suppose to...
Carnage and accidents are the risk....And your return is equal to your risk>>>

NHRA Crewchiefs have been begging NHRA to go back to 90% for over a Year! 85% is Far harder on parts!

Are they not already slowing the cars down. Rev limits, gear ratio, nitro %. What would be the difference if they added new rules to make things safer. If nhra let things be unlimited teams would change wing angles, cubic inches, lower the weight. I bet a 400" wheel base would get better traction. A couple of new rule to make competition better what would be bad about that. Right now fuel racing is all or none. There is very little pedaling going on now. Force said he use to use the roll cage to fell if the car was going to shake so he could pedal it but now there was no reason to do that because if you need to pedal it it is over. If there were NO rules now then I would understand that new rule would ruin the sport.

If they did go back to 90%, would they go any quicker or faster than they are now? And if so, by how much?

Tim I have NO idea if they would go faster, only that they could back the Static Compression and fuel pumps down at 90%. Plus Crankshaft life would increase.

Tim one thing FOR SURE they would sound a lot better again!! :D

You can even hear the difference on the ESPN Classic shows that have been on lately. Just think how much better the technology is today than back then to carry the actual sound, and they still sounded better then. JMO

Rapid

only that they could back the Static Compression and fuel pumps down at 90%. Plus Crankshaft life would increase.

The problems are too much tire loading caused by excess down-force & track prep. AND excess torque loaded into the tires by horsepower& clutch control.

To solve the "problems" is to first reduce the down-force by smaller wings & spoilers / spill plates. Then control the horsepower by air volume (33 % max.) & Injector size. Only ONE spark plug, (easy tech ) NO rev limiter. Never

Let the tuners determine the size pump for their tune-up. Allow 95 % for the sound, yes "the sound" , :D and more tuning range with less compression !

YES , , , the speeds, and tire loads would come down , , BUT longer engine (rods& cranks), blowers, & TIRE life would be a BIG bonus. :) Real tuners would needed, Now they are like running "Nitro Pro Stocks".
Rev-limiters ? ? :eek: "WHAT A BAD JOKE ":eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back