Cylinder head assembly (1 Viewer)

They do this a lot faster during elims! Interesting to me how the head gasket thickness affects compression ratio.

Have you ever heard of shaving the heads 10 thousandths or 20 thousandths to raise compression and increase performance?

Cylinder pressure is key to performance and as the weather changes, for optimal performance you must change the engine to match. Have you ever walked through the pits Friday afternoon or Sunday morning at 9 and wondered why everyone is standing around and the engine isn't put together yet? They wait until the last minute to decide exactly what they want to compression to be, which is determined by the gasket thickness. Once the gasket call is made, they put the engine together.

Alan

Thanks Alan. Yes, I have heard of shaving the heads. Old hot rodder trick that goes back to.... at least 1930's. I think they called it milling the heads, cuz was usually done in a machine shop. I find it very interesting that the teams wait until the last minute to assemble the engine, determined by gasket size. How many gasket thicknesses are there? Must be a bunch, to cope with conditions. Man this sport is soooo hi tech anymore. I have watched videos of T/F in late 90's, and sometimes they didn't even pull the heads. Dick LaHaie would tune by checking the bearings. They still ran high 4's in the 1/4 mile.....

Thanks Alan. Yes, I have heard of shaving the heads. Old hot rodder trick that goes back to.... at least 1930's. I think they called it milling the heads, cuz was usually done in a machine shop. I find it very interesting that the teams wait until the last minute to assemble the engine, determined by gasket size. How many gasket thicknesses are there? Must be a bunch, to cope with conditions. Man this sport is soooo hi tech anymore. I have watched videos of T/F in late 90's, and sometimes they didn't even pull the heads. Dick LaHaie would tune by checking the bearings. They still ran high 4's in the 1/4 mile.....
We also have the ability change the blower overdrive in the lanes and nitro % two pair before we run.

Don't forget the tire pressure can also be changed right up until they start the car.

They main point with selecting a head gasket, blower overdrive and nitro % is we are trying to hit a turning number we strive for every run we make.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back