Crew Chief Question That Us Fans Just Don't Know. (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
Is it safe to say that a tuner of a TF or FC could jump right in and tune a TAD, TAFC or pro-mod, with no issue, are the tuning characteristics the same?

Not talking about what the cars run, we have seen many CC's master the ability of being able to tune a TF and a FC in their careers. I was just wondering could it be an easy jump let's say for a nitro tuner who cant find work?

you can't even guarantee that a tuner could go from Nitro dragster to nitro dragster and be a hit. Much likes coaches changing teams don't always equate to wins. Not only does each class bring its own set of issues to deal with but sometimes the change between two cars in the same class can be surprisingly big.

Well, an A Fueler might be the best bet, at least there are a few similarities. Beyond that, things get very different! If Crew Chief has only Nitro experience, where would he start with say - a turbo Pro Mod, which has a transmission and :eek: suspension? :D

The key to being a good crew chief is surrounding yourself with good help. It doesn't matter how sharp you are if the people helping do not buy into what you are trying to do and add their own "tuning" aids or are not doing their job the same each time. That is the reason a crew chief will change teams and go from being "unskilled" to "brilliant" in a heartbeat, or vice-versa.

A good crew chief is a problem solver and very analytical and can quickly adapt to what ever his focus is on at the moment. Today they also need to be a "people person" and manage a group. That is the main reason for a co-crew chief or car chief, they are usually the people managers and allow the crew chief to concentrate on what he does best.

You will see that when some crew chiefs change jobs they take several people with them. That will give them a better chance of instant "success" on the new venture. Examples are Paul Smith and AJ, they have their own people where ever they go to tune a car.

Another example, I helped a new team earlier this year at a national event. When I tried to organize the crew and put responsibility onto each crew member, I was told "they are only volunteers" and shouldn't be expected to do what I was asking. I let them do it their way knowing that the owner was going to spend much more money than if he had a paid crew and that success was not going to happen. And I turned down the offer to help them at the next event.

Back to the question, a good tuner can tune anything if he wants.

It makes me wonder why no big money team hasn't asked Paul Smith to be a CC on their car? The guy is very smart, if he can do a lot with a little money just imagine what he would do with a lot of money....

Here's a perfect example to bring respect for a team of two who have just done a great job...........Rob Flynn and Mike Guger !

T/F to Pro Mod, back to T/F !
Front tire repair in staging lanes doesn't seem to be up thier alley though ;)

Or Tim Richards when Manzo couldn't do the Shieks car.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back