Cowin out? (1 Viewer)

Not trying to stir up the pot here but I was curious if you were aware of who you were getting responses from...::Under The Gun Racing::..

Tim,

Yes, I'm aware of who I received response(s) from. Michael is listed as one of the top 20 TAD Drivers of all time. He's raced both blown alcohol and A/FD and has now made the move to Top Fuel. Mr. Smith has worked his way up from the bottom on TJ Zizzo's car and to the best of my knowledge he's calling the shots (at least partially) on that car today. I have nothing but respect for both of them, they're pursuing dreams I'll probably never reach.

But that was my point (and I'm willing to accept I could've worded my question better)... I was looking for insight from people "in the know" and they either a) misunderstood me, or b) chose to belittle me because I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. That's alright, it's their right & I still have nothing but respect for both of them.

That aside, I still believe some drivers can be harder on parts than others & I gave an example explaining one possible reason why (to which neither have opined), but I'm not convinced that's the case with Andrew... thus the original question.

Last edited:
Gordon, I personally was not trying to belittle anyone and if you took it that way I am sorry. I just wanted to make the point without the best parts and the best tuneup you cannot make up the difference with the driver in top fuel. Andrew as a driver even if he knows something is just not right is going for the stripe, usually trying to get in the show or win the round. I just think drivers in general get to much grief for the way the car is running. The other statement about driving out of the groove works both ways, if the tune up drops a hole first you can easily get moved over, if you drive it out then it will drop a hole and do the same thing. In this situation when the driver is at fault he should get the grief and believe me I do.

Gordon, I personally was not trying to belittle anyone and if you took it that way I am sorry. I just wanted to make the point without the best parts and the best tuneup you cannot make up the difference with the driver in top fuel. Andrew as a driver even if he knows something is just not right is going for the stripe, usually trying to get in the show or win the round. I just think drivers in general get to much grief for the way the car is running. The other statement about driving out of the groove works both ways, if the tune up drops a hole first you can easily get moved over, if you drive it out then it will drop a hole and do the same thing. In this situation when the driver is at fault he should get the grief and believe me I do.

Drivers win some races. Crew chiefs win some races. Together they win championships. Johnson/Shoe-Coil/Force-Kloeber/Millican.

Thanks Michael, I appreciate the reply & the insight. And no apologies necessary. I understand that a lot of drivers & crews get defensive when they think some nobody is criticizing them or one of their counterparts - and rightfully so. As Justin alluded to, I should've worded my original post so as not to create the stir it did. Thanks again & good luck in all your endeavors.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back