Cowin out? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for posting the link....

I think Andrew is a great driver and personality. The perfect fit is still out there waiting to happen.

I wonder if them sitting out those couple IHRA races becasue he could not get into Canada had anything to do with it. Less headache in the future.

My 7 year old son and I met him at the IHRA race in San Antonio this past year and I can tell you he is one of the easiest people in drag racing to talk chat with. We talked for a good while and was very friendly to my son and I. I really hope he lands a ride soon. Good luck Andrew!!

I like Andrew Cowin but I always thought he was hard on parts. Numerous crew chiefs throughout his on-again, off-again career but always seemingly the same result... a trail of broken parts. Not sure if it's his driving style, or he's not completely in 'tune' with what the car is doing, just bad luck, or what, it's just been an observation. Has anyone else noticed it or is it just me?

I like Andrew Cowin but I always thought he was hard on parts. Numerous crew chiefs throughout his on-again, off-again career but always seemingly the same result... a trail of broken parts. Not sure if it's his driving style, or he's not completely in 'tune' with what the car is doing, just bad luck, or what, it's just been an observation. Has anyone else noticed it or is it just me?

I noticed that when he drove for Gwynn in 02. He seemed to stay on the throttle a little long if the car began to nose over. I know it can be harder when you are driving for someone else.

I just love you guys who have all the answers. Andrew is as good a driver as there is, his job is to get the car to the other end not worry about the tuneup. I can tell you he will get a ride somewhere and will still do a great job. I don't know anyone who can tell you in a split second when the rods are coming out or the blower is fixing to launch. Until you try it, don't be so quick to judge.

I just love you guys who have all the answers. Andrew is as good a driver as there is, his job is to get the car to the other end not worry about the tuneup. I can tell you he will get a ride somewhere and will still do a great job. I don't know anyone who can tell you in a split second when the rods are coming out or the blower is fixing to launch. Until you try it, don't be so quick to judge.
Thank you Michael.;)

And I love the people who can't read. I made an observation, not a judgement.

Nor did I attempt to say I could do better, I probably couldn't, though we'll more than likely never know.

And lastly, I know for a fact, whether or not anyone's willing to admit it, that some drivers are harder on parts than others. So I simply asked a question with the hope someone who knew a little about it would educate me, but I guess I should've known better.

I like Andrew Cowin and would love to see him on the tour, sorry I brought it up.

And I love the people who can't read. I made an observation, not a judgement.

Nor did I attempt to say I could do better, I probably couldn't, though we'll more than likely never know.

And lastly, I know for a fact, whether or not anyone's willing to admit it, that some drivers are harder on parts than others. So I simply asked a question with the hope someone who knew a little about it would educate me, but I guess I should've known better.

I like Andrew Cowin and would love to see him on the tour, sorry I brought it up.
You wanna know something there buddy - I think you just need to realize that people on this site read stuff out of context! Yea, that's right! They take it, and read it how they want to! You got that! :D

Just like I originally posted in the form of a question as to ask, and people probably just assumed that I was suggesting something. Well, you know what they say about assUme-ing things.

LOL, people have been saying that for years. :rolleyes:

I personally don't think he's that good.

Yeah he's not that good :rolleyes:

That may be your opinion, but lets just roll back to 99, his first race in the states, the U.S nationals... I believe he made it to the finals? Lost to Cory Mac! You should also trace back to when he was 17 gaining his licence with a 4 second lap! You should also trace his background; he comes from a very strong drag racing family. And to tell you the truth he didn't have that much seat time with the Serta team, they only ran a limited schedule, oh Andrew did win an IHRA event this year, and also top qualified at events. Yeah he's not that good.

But hey maybe you could jump in one and do a better job!

Mike

I've met AC but I don't know him per say, I think he drove just fine. I don't care who's in the cock-pit, if the Tune up's Not there It doesn't matter if it's John Force or Tony Shoe. They won't win many rounds!:rolleyes:

Yeah he's not that good :rolleyes:

That may be your opinion, but lets just roll back to 99, his first race in the states, the U.S nationals... I believe he made it to the finals? Lost to Cory Mac! You should also trace back to when he was 17 gaining his licence with a 4 second lap! You should also trace his background; he comes from a very strong drag racing family. And to tell you the truth he didn't have that much seat time with the Serta team, they only ran a limited schedule, oh Andrew did win an IHRA event this year, and also top qualified at events. Yeah he's not that good.

But hey maybe you could jump in one and do a better job!

Mike

Yeah, it is my opinion. And stop with the "why don't you jump in" BS will 'ya? :rolleyes: Do you say that to anyone who's opinion differs from yours?

There are certain racers that get lucky, IMO. Cowin was one of them.

Yeah, it is my opinion. And stop with the "why don't you jump in" BS will 'ya? :rolleyes: Do you say that to anyone who's opinion differs from yours?

I said it more out of frustration, I respect your opinion, but I think you just threw it out there, and really haven't looked at what Cowin has done, because you don't win races, make finals, drive to low et's etc being a 'not so good' driver!

There are certain racers that get lucky, IMO. Cowin was one of them.

Yeah Cowin did get lucky, he was brought up in a drag racing family, so he did have a lot cut out for him, but you can't just be lucky driving a fuel car, it does take a lot (we all know that) and Cowin has shown he's got what it takes. I think some people forget what Andrew also went through a few years ago....

Mike

You wanna know something there buddy - I think you just need to realize that people on this site read stuff out of context! Yea, that's right! They take it, and read it how they want to! You got that! :D

Just like I originally posted in the form of a question as to ask, and people probably just assumed that I was suggesting something. Well, you know what they say about assUme-ing things.

I hear ya. I was truly & honestly making an observation and I was trying to do it in such as a way as to illicit some knowledgeable responses so I could learn something from someone 'in the know' - but that's obviously not what I got.

I like Andrew, I've met (though I wouldn't say I know) Andrew, and I think it would be great if he were on the full tour. I was simply wondering if his style lent itself to more parts breakage than some others of the same caliber. If the answer is no, then so be it.

I'll even use an example... If a driver, any driver, consistently gets out of the groove; which in turn causes the tires to spin a little more than they should; which in turn takes some of the load off the motor; which in turn brings the RPM's up and causes the motor to start mixing up the cylinders, which in turn bangs the blower... is that tune-up or driver?

And before more "Why don't you jump in the cockpit and try it" types start criticizing me, I'm certainly not suggesting I could do any better - I'm simply asking a question... which is what I thought this board and others like it were for.

Hard on parts.?.?.?

A few years ago I had the pleasure of having dinner with a group of fairly knowledgeable Drag Racing vets (after the Pomona race) and a similar line of conversation was going on about Tony Schumacher who, at the time was getting some seat time in the Peak Brothers dragster.
Funny how a little time, a killer tune-up and a mega-budget can make a guy look a lot better.

I carry no brief for Andrew but, I question whether he's ever had a consistently competitive car. I have no idea how the recovery from his serious injuriy has gone either.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of having dinner with a group of fairly knowledgeable Drag Racing vets (after the Pomona race) and a similar line of conversation was going on about Tony Schumacher who, at the time was getting some seat time in the Peak Brothers dragster.
Funny how a little time, a killer tune-up and a mega-budget can make a guy look a lot better.

I carry no brief for Andrew but, I question whether he's ever had a consistently competitive car. I have no idea how the recovery from his serious injuriy has gone either.

Who's Tony Schumacher?:D :D

I'll buy that & I appreciate the response. If, using my earlier example, something in the car (tune-up, out of balance, etc.) is causing the car to consistently get out of the groove, then I guess it's not necessarily driver error. Look at Scelzi when he initially made the move to FC... Things turned out alright for him, huh?

Who's Tony Schumacher?:D :D

Don't ya know, he's old man Schumacher's boy, that couldn't drive if his life depended on it, and is only there because Dad owns the team... Oh, sorry, I had a moment of being a smarta$$... I for one thing bloodlines and growing up around the stuff helps a tad.

If the question asked earlier that started all of this crap would have been worded differently, it may have been taken differently... JMHO

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back