Could Fires Postpone Pomona for a Week? (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
My guess is no but I keep hearing how bad this fire is getting and I'm wondering if NHRA might postpone Pomona for a week. After all people will begin parking on Tuesday.

I know the races there have gone on after the quake and the fire a couple of years ago but one has to wonder maybe just a little bit.

My daughter lives just to the East of Pomona and by her info, these areas are generally unaffected as of now. There are numerous fires burning that they are not reporting in other areas but very little housing is being effected with most of these others.
She was mowing her lawn this afternoon and had a light haze of ashes settling on her while she was talking to me so there will be after effects that could contribute to such a decision. My bet is that Pomona will go off without postponement but I'll surely understand if they decide otherwise for reasons within.

I'm about 10 miles east of Pomona in Cucamonga. We have no problems at all.
Now the wind in Devore might prove another obstacle for the folks going to Vegas but that's the only issue.

Rich,

There's a hitch, the All Harley Drag Racing Association (AHDRA) is preparing the first-ever California Bike Week™ and the world's largest one-day motorcyclist charity event — the Love Ride®.

Taking place November 9-11 at the Fairplex and on the drag strip in Pomona, California - Bike Week is a three-day premier motorcycle event with Nitro Harleys Too!

That's all the week after the World Finals, NHRA is not likely to change the dates to the following weekend and the Awards show is set for November 5th in Downtown LA.

Last edited:
If needed I'm sure Sonoma can handle it!
I just hope it doesn't come to that and the fires get snuffed, man that's got to be rough for all southern californians. :(
Does anyone know how the fires started? :confused:

If needed I'm sure Sonoma can handle it!
I just hope it doesn't come to that and the fires get snuffed, man that's got to be rough for all southern californians. :(
Does anyone know how the fires started? :confused:

My aunt said electrical fire on a few of them and arson on another but she didn't know which was started by what. Some of them were jumpers I'm sure

Maybe I'm making way to much of this, but I'm planning on coming down so it would nice to at lease get an official statement from NHRA.

Rich,

There's a hitch, the All Harley Drag Racing Association (AHDRA) is preparing the first-ever California Bike Week™ and the world's largest one-day motorcyclist charity event — the Love Ride®.

Taking place November 9-11 at the Fairplex and on the drag strip in Pomona, California - Bike Week is a three-day premier motorcycle event with Nitro Harleys Too!

That's all the week after the World Finals, NHRA is not likely to change the dates to the following weekend and the Awards show is set for November 5th in Downtown LA.

I'll be at this one.
Watching closely to see if there are postponements.

Got an email from a fellow Harley racer from Rural San Diego county yesterday.
Haven't heard from him since, he was already prepared to evacuate at that time. Looks as though he had to flee.

A day or so ago an ESPN2 announcer said the fires were affecting some football team's activities and they wouldn't be able to bring that show, and then he said, "So you'll have to make do with NHRA Drag Racing". He said it with a very sour expression on his face. It was Import racing so maybe that's why he looked unhappy. Yeah, right.

A day or so ago an ESPN2 announcer said the fires were affecting some football team's activities and they wouldn't be able to bring that show, and then he said, "So you'll have to make do with NHRA Drag Racing". He said it with a very sour expression on his face. It was Import racing so maybe that's why he looked unhappy. Yeah, right.
And to think they pay for that kind of advertisement. Genius.

DLB

Its all ok now even the wind has died down most of the fires are getting better. Maybe I can clean the soot out of my house now. I heard from one of the guys that works at the track that the west side seating is all sold out and that there isnt going to be any GA.

It did affect the football in San Diego about 20 of the chargers were evacuated from their homes and apparently they have re located to Arizona for at least this week end

Yep....they were supposed to play the Texans. McNair offered them Reliant Stadium, but they haven't decided.....home field advantage and all. If they play in Arizona it will be Monday because of an event already scheduled for Sunday.

They should be deciding today.

I see nothing that should postpone Pomona at this time...except maybe the fire that just started next street over from me! It appears to be a house either one or two doors from the Densham residence. No one panic...the fire department had it out in a matter of a couple of minutes. I'm guessing very little damage, but lots of smoke...like we'd NOTICE any more smoke in the air at the moment. The area around Pomona has been free of flames so far and there are no road closures that would prevent the teams from arriving.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back