Steven reed fires to top of championship table despite spectacular crash (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Queensland based professional Drag Racer Steven Reed escaped major injury in a fiery crash at his home track of Willowbank Raceway during the Nightfire New Year Series event last night (Saturday 3rd January).

Steven had been performing well in the Top Alcohol bracket making the Final and taking the National Championship series lead in the process in his 3500 horsepower Premier One backed Funny Car.

However not everything went his way when pushing for the event victory with a massive engine explosion at approximately 200mph (322kph) causing his entire vehicle to catch fire and hit the safety wall.

Steven was able to exit his car himself but was taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment of minor burns and observation, and was released earlier this morning (Sunday 4th January).

“It was definitely a wild ride in the Final, I was side by side with Gary Phillips and my engine just let go kicking a rod out,” Steven Reed said.

“The entire car just blew up in flames and when I went for my onboard fire extinguisher it veered sideways impacting the wall as I passed the finish line.”

“I managed to get away from it all relatively unharmed but at this stage the car doesn’t look too good with extensive fire and chassis damage. We will have to take it back to the workshop and see what we can salvage.”

“It has definitely taken the shine off taking the Championship lead and we will now have to re-evaluate our resources and funding for the rest of the season.”

Steven’s wife Debbie Reed was also on track in her Dragster as the sole female competitor in the Top Alcohol category and had another strong showing on the back of her win in Sydney last week.

Qualifying in third position, she was pitted against her hubby in her Quarter-Final eliminator for the second event in a row, however after getting the better of him last time out, Steven was able to exact some revenge by knocking her out of the competition.

“We are really on top of the tune ups in my Dragster at the moment and it is showing on track with good, consistent quick times,” Debbie Reed said.

“I had to relinquish my Championship lead to Steven with my quarter-final loss to him, but I guess now we are even after I knocked him out at the same stage at the last round.”

“I am still currently in third spot though, meaning we have the two Reed Racing entries in first and third positions in the National Series.”

Attachments

• IMGP0324[1].jpg
    IMGP0324[1].jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,844
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back