Capps (1 Viewer)

Mr. Fix It

Nitro Member
You can't help but feel his pain. I am surely no crew chief but I can't help but wonder why a team can't keep a pair of used slicks for times like this. What are the usual things a crew chief might do when new slicks are used? Gear change? Clutch adjustment?

I know even the best have bad days. I just wish Capps could have gone a bit further...... Thanks to that team for a great show!

You can't do a gear change, after the 1st pass on a new pair of slicks on a fuel car they gain around 2" in circumference. You could do a clutch adjustment (which I'm sure they did), but it would be a guess since no two pair of sticker tires will act the same on their fist pass.

My question is, how come they didn't use the slicks they had on the run before? :confused:

I'm guessing here, but often when there's that much traction there are chunking concerns/issues. I would imagine that if a set of slicks shows even mild signs of such, crew chiefs are probably not willing to re-use them for fear of failure.

Ron has said the problem on the run was a dropped cylinder at the hit which was a result of a cracked spark plug wire.

New tires or not, the car was several feet out of the groove when it smoked 'em.

That's true, and I believe Mike's original post was based on Mike Dunn's statement during the telecast that Tim was concerned about using new tires...

Ron has said the problem on the run was a dropped cylinder at the hit which was a result of a cracked spark plug wire.

...and this would go a long way towards explaining why the car got out of the groove, and thus, smoked the tires.

I think it's fair to speculate that even had it not smoked, Tasca's .14 would've been tough to beat with a hole out for the full 1,000' - not impossible, but tough.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back