Connection To Drag Racing (1 Viewer)

Some great, great stories. Mine, although no match for any I've just read, goes like this. I grew up in the UK and got to see my first drag race in the mid 70's and got the bug straight away. Became a huge fan of Raymond Beadle's 'Blue Max' as he was exhibition racing Gene Snow. I still have my Blue Max hero card. From there it was just a case of getting to Santa Pod raceway when ever I could as my dad had no interest in that stuff.
By my mid 20's I had, through a series of events, been hired by a rally race team as a fabricator / mechanic when the group B cars were still running. That was the first in a series of racing jobs that had me work in the asia-pacific rally championship, European truck racing, F3, F3000, World sportscar racing like the 24hrs of Le Mans and Daytona. I rounded that era of my life with 3 years in Formula 1. It was a great time but unfortunately it didn't allow time to go to the strip and a majority of the guys I worked with kind viewed the drags as a joke.
Well, in '97 I left all that to come live a normal life here in Vancouver BC, Canada. Job-wise I have stayed in mechanical engineering, but drag-wise I found our local track called Mission Raceway Park, it's a popular div.6 track and like an old love, it was great to be back enjoying the races up the 1/4 mile. A few years ago I finally got to a pro race at Seattle, and my first fuel run experience just about knocked me on my ass, and the first pro driver I got to me was the very wonderful Eric Medlen. Ever since then I try to go to a couple of races a year (usually Seattle and Vegas 2) and as many races locally as I can find time to fit in. I have married my love of photography with my favourite sport and some of you have enjoyed my pics to date.

Thanks
Paul.

I'd say that's one of the better resume's around this board. That's a bad looking Vette.

The Vette was a great car and a fun ride. :D Thanks for the kind words. Perhaps I have a bit of an advantage being so old. ;) Had a great time building and racing my cars and have made many great friends doing it. That's what it's all about to me. :D

An interesting thread for sure. Thanks to everyone, who contribute here. :cool:

Had a great time building and racing my cars and have made many great friends doing it. That's what it's all about to me.

Jean,

I still think you ought to build something for the nostalgia circuit-an index car that you could bracket race as well. I'm thinking something like a 27 T-Roadster with say a small block chevy or maybe an inline six or one of the new ecotec motors or even a flathead ford (they've really been building lots of new parts for them).

..............I grew up watching races at our local track Southland Dragway in Houma, La. My childhood heros of course were the Candies & Hughes team from Houma.....................
Pretty much my same story. Southland Dragway opened in July of '69 in Houma, and the first race that my dad took us to, I was hooked. There were easily 30 Top Fuel Teams between Houston and New Orleans, so there were always more cars than the field allowed. When the Funny Cars came to town, they were always a sell out. As I got older I did some bracket racing at State Capitol Dragways in Baton Rouge. Attended every Cajun Nationals, including the first on in Laplace. In the mid 80's I moved to Austin and soon after I met Larry Reep. I airbrushed a couple of Larry's Grim Reeper Funny Cars and crewed for him for about 5 years. That was fun, but it's a ton of work.:p

Jean,

I still think you ought to build something for the nostalgia circuit-an index car that you could bracket race as well. I'm thinking something like a 27 T-Roadster with say a small block chevy or maybe an inline six or one of the new ecotec motors or even a flathead ford (they've really been building lots of new parts for them).

Hi Dave. Yup, it would be fun getting back into something again. I've been getting the itch again, not really sure what I'll do. Lots of interesting things to build, that's for sure. Time will tell. Good luck next season, with the new toy. ;)

For now, I've just been tweeking and playing with this. :cool: Cool ride for the street, but NOT a racecar. :p
Corvette_2232.jpg

Now back to the thread......

In the mid 80's I moved to Austin and soon after I met Larry Reep. I airbrushed a couple of Larry's Grim Reeper Funny Cars and crewed for him for about 5 years. That was fun, but it's a ton of work.:p

Hey, I know that there are a lot of musicians in Austin and some of them have cool cars (Charlie Sexton's 4 door 49 Merc convertible-ok they didn't build one of those but Charlie had it customized-and I heard Jimmie Vaughn has some cool cars and the owner of the Continental club had a great 32 Ford roadster). Did you do any work on any of those cars?

Last edited:
Good luck next season, with the new toy. ;)

For now, I've just been tweeking and playing with this. :cool: Cool ride for the street, but NOT a racecar. :p
Corvette_2232.jpg

Now back to the thread......

We decided not to sell the altered-but they'll be new things in store for it.

And sell that Corvette and use the money to build a race car-get yourself a Cobalt if you need fun wheels to get around in!

I guess I've always been a car person (much to my father's dismay). My first drag race was in 1959 at a track in Medford, OR. Moved to Sacramento in '65 and started working at the drag strip there. That led to Fremont (with the late Steve Evans), Irwindale and Orange County (with Bill Doner). My son, Randy, literally grew up at the tracks, went on tour the year he graduated from high school, and is now working for Morgan Lucas.

After Irwindale & my marriage both closed, I worked for Blair's Speed Shop, SEMA, a HiPerf warehouse, and 8 years for Mike Kuhl Superchargers. In 1990, I returned to my roots in Medford, OR and have been here ever since.

Although I still attend drag races (especially if my son is there), and go to the Hot Rod Reunion every year, my main interest now is dirt oval tracks. My former boss and family friend has a modified and is also getting a late model for this year. His little girls are my buds and we have a great time traveling around Oregon & Northern Calif.

I wouldn't trade my racing family, or my years in racing, for anything. It's been a wonderful ride. Having these connections makes it easy for a single lady to go to any event alone and know she'll always find friends.

Pat "Ma" Green

We decided not to sell the altered-but they'll be new things in store for it.
And sell that Corvette and use the money to build a race car-get yourself a Cobalt if you need fun wheels to get around in!

Glad to hear that. Altereds rule! :D Cobalt?:eek: I don't think so. Having the Vette's not to big of a problem either. ;) I'll work it out. :)

In the mid 80's I moved to Austin and soon after I met Larry Reep. I airbrushed a couple of Larry's Grim Reeper Funny Cars and crewed for him for about 5 years. That was fun, but it's a ton of work.:p

Did you do his trailer, and his black & purple Ford Tempo body ? I saw him run that car in the late 80's at Maple Grove. Any pics ?

Hey, I know that there are a lot of musicians in Austin and some of them have cool cars (Charlie Sexton's 4 door 49 Merc convertible-ok they didn't build one of those but Charlie had it customized-and I heard Jimmie Vaughn has some cool cars and the owner of the Continental club had a great 32 Ford roadster). Did you do any work on any of those cars?
No I haven't worked for any of those guys. They have a huge rally every year at the Continental Club for all of the Street Rod guys, they are all part of that gig. Lonestar Rod & Custom Round Up
Most of the Street Rod Scene here in Austin revolves around Mercury Charlie and his shop. I recently heard that Jessie James has partnered with him, not sure, but Sandra Bullock owns a restaurant and home here. They always keep a low profile.
Did you do his trailer, and his black & purple Ford Tempo body ? I saw him run that car in the late 80's at Maple Grove. Any pics ?
Yes I painted Reeper's Tempo, 3 different times....:D, plus a dragster for him. I'll dig up some pictures and post them tomorrow.

I was born into Drag Racing as my Dad started racing long before I was born.

I have driven a few cars, the most exciting being my Dad's Pro Stock car back in the mid 90's. I have also been a crew member, race official, race director, announcer (once), tech official, race reporter, internet race results and may other roles, including drunk spectator!!

At this point i time I am nothing more than a fan. maybe one day I will get back in the seat!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back