Connection To Drag Racing (1 Viewer)

I guess I'd be the OLD nobody here. I'm one of the older guys around here, that was racing back in the late 60's through the 70's. I've built and raced cars in Stock, Modified Production, Gasser's, brackets and Comp. Eliminator. I raced at many great Dragstrips, that are long gone, but known by many of the old timers. I've raced at Lions, Orange County, Irwindale Raceway, Fremont, Ontario, Fontana, Famosa, and Pomona. So I guess, I'm nobody famous, but I've been around a lot of great people and some great Dragstrips.

My avatar was my last car in Comp. I managed to set the NHRA record at OCIR in 77 with it. Here's a link to a few of my cars.
JEANS32 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Jean Muntifering
#7897 Comp.

I was introduced to drag racing by my dad.
It all started when he and my mom moved to California in 1967 when my dad wanted to be closer to the hot rodding scene. After a few stints at various shops around L.A. my dad got his big break about a year and a half later when he was hired by Ed Pink in Van Nuys.
In a nutshell he eventually worked his way to shop foreman. Along the way he has built engines for some of the greats in the sport such as: Don Prudhomme, Barry Setzer, Don Schumacher, Ed McCulloch, Pat Foster, Sush Matsubara, Larry Dixon, Gene Snow and a host of others that were Pink customers.
He quit Pinks and moved back to Nebraska from 1978-1980. Raymond Beadle asked him to come to work for him, so we moved to Dallas in the spring of 1980. While there he and his crew built the engines, short blocks, and freshened up heads and anything else that needed done. When Raymond and the crew would wear out the inventory in the trailer they would swing by the shop and pick up fresh equipment and drop off the wore out stuff.
When Beadle had the Nascar and sprint car team starting in 1983 with Old Milwaukee, Beadle appointed my dad and his crew to build the engines for the sprint car team with driver Sammy Swindell.
When things started going sour in 1986 my dad had an offer to use Steve Carbone's (my dad also built his engines while at Pink's)shop until we found our own place.
We started Wesmar Racing Engines in 1987 and have been going strong since. We specialize in 360 and 410 cubic inch sprint car engines.
Drag racing holds a VERY special place in my heart. I am very thankful for the many people and icons that I got to know as a youngster because of my dad!

Been lurking here for a couple of years but my 1st post will be a response for this post. I am a member of Nhra. I first became interested and involved in drag racing when I went to BIR for the first time in 1987 for their show and go event. I had never been to a drag strip prior (spent my teen years at a roundy round track playing in their starter division) and was hooked instantly ( I ending up entering my brothers low rider chev pick up that I was showing in the drag races and that was my start (I was 20 years old). After that I was racing my street car any chance I had to go to a track. In 1995 I was able to become a Sfi tech inspector for Bir and also worked at the divisional and national events at Bir in the tech dept. In 1999 I had the chance to work with the safety safari at the Bir national event and have done so since. I have continued to work in the tech dept at Bir and have worked the starting line, staging, and on fire rescue. This past year I accepted the position of race control and spent my summer in the tower running the races. I also race a low 10 second bracket car and hope to have it in the low nines next year.

...AND A GREAT CONNECTION IT IS! Rich, I can say this with all honesty...I now have a new Hero in drag racing! A guy who is doing in drag racing what I've always dreamed about doing. I just watched that Video, and I am honored to be in the same DRAG RACING BOARD as YOU! OUTSTANDING work Rich, and the best of luck to you and your Team! I look forward to meeting you some day!

Tim Charlet
5636 S/C

Let's see if I can remember this correctly. My uncle took me to a LaPlace dragway in the 70's. After that anytime I thought he was going to the races, I would jump in the car. We would go to LaPlace dragway, Southland dragway and State Capital Dragway. He was into hot rodding and would always get me to help him work on his car. I don't think he would race at the track, just the street. He was in a bad accident one time and my grandmother made him give it up. He started going to the circle tracks and I just could not get into that. In 1991 a friend ask me if I would go with him to the dragstrip(State Capital) and watch our cousin race. I was hooked again the moment I smelled the rubber. I later started helping with his car(stocker) and other friends with their cars. Off and on I would race other friends car or my truck on street night. Started going to National events with a pro stock bike friend also. Finally got tried of watching and my friends and I are building me a 1985 Camaro to run a superstock GT class. If I don't run out of money, the car will be ready by April. If that works out o.k., we would like to get into Competion Eliminator in the future. I just love the sportsman's side of drag racing. Yes I am a N.H.R.A. member.

I started going to races when I was about 6 years old. My dad is a bracket racer in Vegas and I always tagged along. I went to my first National Even when the strip opened up and a few years later I met my husband in Vegas in October of 2005 while he was working for Kalitta Motrosports on Scott's car. I'm in Michigan now where my husband works on Hillary Will's dragster.

...AND A GREAT CONNECTION IT IS! Rich, I can say this with all honesty...I now have a new Hero in drag racing! A guy who is doing in drag racing what I've always dreamed about doing. I just watched that Video, and I am honored to be in the same DRAG RACING BOARD as YOU! OUTSTANDING work Rich, and the best of luck to you and your Team! I look forward to meeting you some day!

Tim Charlet
5636 S/C

Watched all 7 parts and I agree!!

i started racing when i was 17 at Etown, my cousin tom miceli who had a stint in prostock bike and was also the 2001 AMA Promod Champ would trailer his street bike with his cutlass that i would bracket race.

Then in 92 (raced till 96) i built a buick to bracket race at Westhampton on Long Island where i met a good friend of mine Val Smeland who today runs in comp and prostock.

I then took some time off to get my career and family moving and built a stocker in 2002. I raced that for a year and then in 2004 and 2005 i became a member of Mike Ashleys Gotham City racing team as he sponsored my car.

Now i am building another stocker and hope to have it out by Spring 2008.

Began bracket racing at 17 years old at Speedworld Raceway in beautiful Bithlo Florida, outside of Orlando. Hooked up with another aspiring drag racer, John Myers, and we terrorized the streets and strip in Orlando for many years in the late 70's and early 80's. John went on to become a multi-time PSB national champion while I raced Super Comp and Super Eliminator in Arizona through most of the 80's and 90's. I won the Southwest Super Eliminator season championship in 1998, with sponsorship from CarQuest Auto Parts Stores and have since been a professional spectator at a few national events a year, usually Firebird, Indy and Vegas #2.

Well, You can say I was born into Drag Racing, My Father, Lonnie Butts (RIP) , Was loading up the Blown Gas Fiat to head to Bakersfield on March 2nd, 1962 ,When My Mon went out and said, Your not going, Your son is coming, And I popped out the next day, Been going to drag races since is can remember, Like about 5 years old, When I was in Midle school in Torrance California, I use to head over to Waterman Race Engines on Artesia Bl and sweep the floors and clean the big machines for Sid and Carl Olson, After they decided to move, Carl asked me if I wanted another Job, I said yes and he got me a Job with the NHRA Safety Safari, That was in 1979, Been a Proud Member of the safari since, Have done the Tour many times and Loved it, It has changed a bunch, Wont quit for a while, Thats my intro into NHRA

Dad. Sunday. 1952. 1/2 mile oval. Dirt. Fairgrounds. Noise. Beatin. Bangin. Ken Powell. 1959. Central Michigan Dragway. Speed Sport Special. Connie. Big. The Greek. Ivo. E.J. Potter. Ron Ellis. Cousin. First Indy. 1967. Smirnoff Special. Chevoom. Landy. Grumpy. 32 Car TF Eliminator. 1000s of Memories. Hooked. Hopelessly. Bury me in a t-shirt.

Last edited:
Attended weekly races at our "local" 1/8th mile(40 miles one way) facility around '65 - '66 time frame, watching my future brother-in-law race his powder blue '57 Chevy convertible in H/S. Blackmailed said future brother-in-law and my sister into taking me to my first INDY in '67 where my first sensory overload took place and was hooked on NITRO from then on. Fast forward to high school days....Touring professional relocated to our small town because of it's central location in the country. Immediately starting "hanging around" his shop, doing anything and everything I could to help out. As a kid, I was in Drag Racing heaven. Even got to tag along on a couple of different weekends to some 4 car shows....Toronto and the Old Memphis track(Lakeland). The pro ran Dyno's Eliminator Cougar for a couple of years before he started his own team with a series of "QuarterHorse" Mustang floppers. His name is Frank Oglesby. After high school, got a job working at a stone quarry where the owners son was involved in the local drag scene. Started hanging with him and eventually became his "crew" on a junior fuel car. Ran that car for a few years then converted it to a Comp car in the B/D class with a Roush 351 Pro Stock engine. We had a new car built in '76 by Don Tuttle and raced through the '78 season catching all the divisionals and 7 of the 10 or so National events those years. Now I know some racers just like to race and when they are done....that's it. Spectating was not an option. Not me....we try to go to at least 3 "Big Show's" a year. Gainesville, Indy and one that we try to work in between those two. Have been to Vegas, E-town, Bristol, Pomona and the ATL. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!

Late..................Mitch

Last edited:
My cousin was a writer/photographer. He was the photographer for Milan and Detroit dragway here in Michigan. He wrote for different publications such as Super Stock magazine, Drag review and others. He started taking me to the track when I was about 10. (34 yrs ago) I would sit in the timing tower and watch. As I got older I started getting my own press credentials and worked on the starting lines with him taking pictures. I spent almost every weekend at the tracks during those years. During the IHRA Northern Nationals at Milan we would rent a neighboring house and set up a dark room in the basement and never leave the entire weekend. We went to Indy and Columbus regularly although I could not access the starting line. My cousin eventually changed careers and moved out of state. My Love for drag racing has only grown stronger. I'm just a fan now but I will never forget those great years spent on the track. My daughters are teenagers. Once they're grown I would love to get back on the track but this time behind the wheel of my own car.

This is why the Mater works. There is such a wide range of experiences here the blend together held by the common bond of loving drag racing. I know there are a lot more of you so step up and tell us your story.
jim

Last edited:
I was born the same weekend my Dad won a pro stock match race in Epping, NH.

About one year prior to that, he won Pro Stock in its first year at the US Nationals. I grew up going to races with my Dad, and later my older brother, who won the IHRA super stock points in the mid 90's.

I worked at my Dad's shop, which was one of the top Mopar parts distributors for about 10 yrs in a row.

I now do engineering consulting work, and frequently get involved in motorsports crash investigations.

Last edited:
I have been around drag racing since I was about 2, some 43 years ago. My dad owned a super stocker back in the mid-to-late '60s. He actually held an AHRA World Record for several years, qualified for the world finals, won more trophies than I could count, was a pretty successful engine builder and racer. Yes, I said qualified, that was back when you had to score enough points to compete at the WORLD FINALS, not just show up and race. I remember being around people like Art Ward, Roger Guzman, Alan Bockla, Judy Lilly (with whom he had a pretty good rivalry), Sox & Martin, John Hagen, and host of other Colorado/Nebraska area racers. That was back when drag racing was about fun and winning a trophy, not all about the money.

During the late '70s my brother built a bracket car that he ran out at the old Houston International Drag Way and Porter. At the same time I was getting my feet wet doing a little bracket racing with a car my dad had. It wasn't fast, I dialed 21.00 flat, but I runner upped and got my name in the National Dragster one time. That was alot of fun. It kind of upset my brother that I got my name in there before he did, but OH WELL.

In the middle '80s we decided to build a different car and did some bracket racing all around the Houston area. We eventually stepped it up and started running the Division 4 races and Texas national events. I now have a '71 Nova that I run in S/ST & S/G and my brother has a J/SA '77 Camaro.

On top of all that, I helped out on the Russell Family TAD a couple of times during the late '90s and started the season this past year on the Main & Martinets B/AD. I have also worked on the Top Fuel dragsters of Mark Kinsella (what's up Paul?), Bob Vandergriff Jr, Hot Rod Fuller, Melanie Troxel and Steve Torrence.

Once it got in my blood, I couldn't get rid of it. The Drs. have tried to find a cure but haven't had much success. The electric shock therapy came close but caused alot of other problems. LOL:p

Been going to the drags since 5th grade when my Dad took my older brother and I to Firebird Raceways Ignitor race in 1977. Ed McCulloch over Gordie Bonin....remember it like it was yesterday. I still remember the other four fuel cars that day too: Jerry Ruth, Kenney Goodell, Twig Zeigler and 'Nitro Nick' Harmon. Had some buddies that raced at Firebird when I got to high school and we`d go every weekend in the summers, but I never made a pass in a car until I was going to college in Portland, Ore. I bought a `78 Camaro after my first summer back from commercial fishing in Alaska, and I raced it at PIR and then later at SIR in Seattle when I moved up there. Never been lower than 11 seconds but at least I know the feeling of staging a car and making a pass (albeit a slow one!). Just a spectator nowadays, I generally make about 5 Nationals a year, plus the Ignitor Div. 6 race and the Nightfire Nationals here in Boise. My brother, a buddy and I are doing Hawleys S/C school next year and I`m pumped about that. Oh yeah, been an NHRA member since about `90.

Last edited:
Simply put, it was Dad who got me hooked on drag racing. He raced at Raisin City and Famoso with his Willy's pick-up and Vega before I was born. When I was a kid, he began helping John Weaver and his family when they started drag racing in the 80's. He did a lot of their fabrication work until they hung it up.

I went to a lot of races as a kid, but the first one I can vividly recall was a Nitro Warm-up at Famoso around 1990 or 91. Mike Dunn's Snickers' Funny Car was my favorite!

My Dad wanted to get involved in racing again so he built a dragster from the ground up. He was going to drive, but his back was bad, so he offered me the opportunity to drive. I went to Hawley's, got licensed, and we've been out there for two years. It's great fun and we just try to keep going quicker and faster. Below is the car he built.

CIMG0633.jpg

As some one else mentioned, the best part about being at the track is meeting so many nice people.

Long live the NHRA!

Back in 1965 on any given Saturday night or Sunday afternoon I had my choice of Lions, Fontana, Irwindale, San Fernando or Bakersfield. Lots of places to go and watch, or even better yet, participate. My introduction to racing was as a crew member on a AA/FD. Ok, maybe crew member was a bit much and perhaps ‘gopher’ is a better description. But that’s where and when I began to learn and love the sport.

The earliest role models in drag racing that I can remember are some folks that just barely register on the recognition meter today. Dave Hage drove a AA/FD for my good friends Bill Butters and Dave Gerard. That’s the great thing about our sport. All the friends you make and get to keep for a long, long time. Some of those friends turned out to be a bit more fleeting. Take John Mulligan. Certainly one of my most cherished memories is the early interviews that I got to do with Mulligan. I was a young hot shot writer for the Bellflower Herald Enterprise newspaper and they ran many of the articles I wrote about local racers. ‘The Zookeeper’ remains to this day one of my heroes. As a technical writer for Isky racing cams I got to meet and know many of the pioneers of drag racing. What a cast of characters they were too.

Drag racing was a lot different when I started and among the most major of differences was the amount of development that went on with the cars. ‘Back in the day’ it seemed that every week brought new changes. Chassis changed. Fuel delivery systems changed. Tires and clutches seemed to advance almost week by week.

Part of what makes the sport fun for me is there are many more classes than just the four Pros. The sport does not live by Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle alone. If you go to the drags for just the Pros you miss what I believe is the backbone of racing, the sportsmen. Top Alcohol Dragster, Top Alcohol Funny Car, Competition Eliminator as well as the Stock Eliminator classes are where most of the future pro racers and tuners will learn their craft. You only need to look as far back as Pomona and Phoenix national events to see the results of people that began in the sportsman classes. Even I took a shot as a driver in Super Comp and I hold the distinction of being the number one qualifier in the first ever Super Comp race held in Division 7 at Bakersfield many years ago. I qualified with an 8.902 without any electronics or any modern gadgets. Did I win the event? Let’s talk about something else…darn that Christmas tree!

For several years I joined with a couple of friends and we ran Competition Eliminator in Div-7 and many national events. We never won much but the stint as an owner and tuner taught me just how difficult is was to be a sportsman racer. Comp is one of those classes that even today is based on ingenuity and skill. Making a V6 Buick D/ED run under the national record is something to be proud of and although it was certainly more my partners and Larry Torres, I did have a bit to do with the whole deal. What’s that? You want me to explain CIC in Comp Eliminator? I’m not certain that God could perform that miracle!

In the mid 1990s RIS was the place to go for racing results. I got in on the ground floor with Mike Hollander and before long I was paying my own way to the races and getting credentials from Hollander so that I could post the racing results to his web site. After doing this for a few seasons, along with several other folks, Ed Dykes got the balling rolling towards making reporting a paying proposition. With sponsorship on board we began covering divisional and national events for Summit and eventually NHRA as well. Dykes was killed in a private plane crash and many assumed our effort was all but lost. Thanks to Rick Green and Larry Sullivan, along with Summit, the reporting program thrives to this day. I’m still reporting on divisional races with some national events

I think we went through this type of thread a few years ago but hey it's the new Mater and I love to hear stories , any stories about drag racing or cars period.
Around 1962 my Uncle leased the land next to Bill Hielshers Green Valley Raceway near Fort Worth and me an my cousin climbed the fence and got a a good dose.
Bill or one of the guys saw us one day and asked us who we were .
We told him and he gave us a pass to come anytime gratis. I was hooked !
We moved to Carlsbad New Mexico and I met Dickie Harrell and he took me to his garage where he was finishing his 63 pro stock Chevy Bel air.

I could not believe anyone would take a brand new car while making the payments on it and make it a pure race car.

Dickie promised me a ride that would snap my head back !

Never got that ride but Dickie won in Arizona cause the factory cars couldn't burn the gas AHRA made them use that meet.

He went on to the Funny Cars and I bought a 55 Chevy and proceeded to make a funny car out of it.

Uncle Sam called and the project which had it been completed would have been an altered wheelbase Gasser [ I should have known you had to use late model body ] went down the tubes! LOL

After the Army I moved back to Fort Worth and who did I work with at General Dynamics Aircraft Plant but the famous Bobby Langley of Scorpion Fame.

That jump started me again and My Black as night 56 Chevy morphed from about k stock Auto into a Gasser with 327 and 4 speed.

Ran a Dodge in the stock category with 383 magnum at Kenedale and GV till 1975.
Just been a fan since I started working on the water as my schedule leaves little time for racing .

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back