Congrats to Royal Purple Raceway Sold Out! (1 Viewer)

Paul

Staff member
Nitro Member
Many times people point out the lack of crowds at the races, but today Royal Purple Raceway sold out! I don't think I have ever been to a track before where they sold out. Last year when I was at Reading they had record crowds, but they never were turning people away. The staff at RPR did a great job advertising this race as I have seen commercials the last 2 weeks all over TV. I knew today was going to be big when it was a parking lot trying to get into the track and the parking lot I park at was basically full when I got there. Good job RPR!!

Nice job RPR. Attract a huge crowd and hopefully some new sponsors might notice a good opportunity to become marketing partners.

The NHRA has the ability to have this happen at every event on their schedule......why don't they???

I saw that too, but they must be speaking of Sunday tickets being sold out, or somehow....almost half the crowd (okay, so that's a bit too harsh, but it did look about 75% full, not sold out) was somewhere other than the stands during pro qualifying. I've been in sold out crowds, and, well, it's crowded. All the pit shots and shots of the stands showed something less than sold out. Again, I'm rather sure they mean Sunday, so look for the crowd tomorrow, or, wonder where they go during pro rounds.

75% full is still better than the average anymore...so obviously they did something right.

On a good note, the coverage was better, simply because they cut some fluff and put Mike in the pits to talk some tech. Headed in the right direction. Now all they have to do is reign back that twitter/facebook chatter...

Last edited:
I saw that too, but they must be speaking of Sunday tickets being sold out, or somehow....almost half the crowd (okay, so that's a bit too harsh, but it did look about 75% full, not sold out) was somewhere other than the stands during pro qualifying. I've been in sold out crowds, and, well, it's crowded. All the pit shots and shots of the stands showed something less than sold out. Again, I'm rather sure they mean Sunday, so look for the crowd tomorrow, or, wonder where they go during pro rounds.

75% full is still better than the average anymore...so obviously they did something right..
During the 3rd session of TF and up to the point when Densham oiled down the track, it was near capacity. Once the 40 minute oildown happened, the place thinned out a little bit.

Yesterday I was thinking that I never saw so many fans before. I knew they were gonna be alot when I tried to get to the track for 8:00am & the line to park was almost a mile long. Never saw traffic that bad so early. Hopefully weather keep looking good like it is now.

fire marshall and parking determines "sold out" .... in this case I understand it was the fire marshall. Sorry Kevin but your TV assessment does not count.

we enjoyed racing, and enjoyed all that fans coming buy and asking questions

Every hit we saw a perfect track, the bump at the 1/8th mile transition to asphalt was interesting, it seemed to be much less of a bump in the full sun that when the sun was down or overcast.

75% full is still better than the average anymore...so obviously they did something right.

On a good note, the coverage was better, simply because they cut some fluff and put Mike in the pits to talk some tech. Headed in the right direction. Now all they have to do is reign back that twitter/facebook chatter...

Stands looked pretty good to me both today and Yesterday, I did notice the stands seemed much fuller for 2nd round of Pros as opposed to 1st rd!

Many times people point out the lack of crowds at the races, but today Royal Purple Raceway sold out! I don't think I have ever been to a track before where they sold out. Last year when I was at Reading they had record crowds, but they never were turning people away. The staff at RPR did a great job advertising this race as I have seen commercials the last 2 weeks all over TV. I knew today was going to be big when it was a parking lot trying to get into the track and the parking lot I park at was basically full when I got there. Good job RPR!!

I guess nitrofan1, isn't going to chime in on this. ?!?

That's FANtastic. So glad I have season tickets at Norwalk. That's another track to watch out for.

One thing you have to remember when guaging a crowd from watching on TV: Drag racing is unique in that many people move around all weekend, on any given day. Some fans leave, after their driver runs, and head for the pits, long oildowns definitely thin the crowd, some go back to their cars for a bit, etc. Either way, the event was a success, and that's a good thing.

A metropolitan area of 4 million people sure doesn't hurt filling the stands either! As for the TV coverage, I DVR all the races, just get sick of the same old interviews with the Forces, Capps, Brown, Etc, Etc. I think they could cut the broadcast time in half if they would get rid of the repetitive interviews. I did enjoy the interview with Angelle, now that was something different.

I heard they had to honor rainout tickets from a previous event.
Just like any other NHRA rain out, last year's Saturday qualifying was rained out. They just took that off of my season renewal, it was easy to get the credit. Both Saturday and Sunday were strong attendance days.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back