China and American drag racing? (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
It's my understanding that all of our nitromethane comes from China. Is there any chance post-Covid-19 any company attempts to bring back the production of nitro to the States?

What other drag racing components/supplies are largely made in China (if any)?

I hate that Ford & Buick make cars in China. Honda makes cars there that are sold to Canada. Go to the $ store & it's China, India or another country, but nothing from USA. Tim's right, we need to not buy Chinese junk. Nitro? Good question. Think they quit making it here cuz no profit.

It's my understanding that all of our nitromethane comes from China. Is there any chance post-Covid-19 any company attempts to bring back the production of nitro to the States?

None that I or Family would use !!

According to Angus Chemical, they made nitro here in the United States as of at least 2016, which is a copyright date or something on this document.

Angus Chemical pdf

........ any company attempts to bring back the production of nitro.............
The Angus company (Dow) makes Nitro in Sterlington LA., after the Okie city bombing and then when Homeland added the rules for only possessing 400 pounds without being top screened - Angus decided to not sell Nitro for any kind of motorsports use...

During the late '80s I worked with Angus to develop admixtures for burning Nitro, at that time motorsports accounted for less than 7% of their sales, this was before Chinese Nitro came into the US, sales to racing wasn't worth the liabilities...

I believe there was issues with Angus and racing nitro. I think it was Paul Candies that brought the first load of nitro in from China.

...... was Paul Candies...China.........
Nope - it was Angus that provided NItro from China after their plant in Sterlington blew-up...
The product was not as pure as Angus (96%) , I had some Chinese analyzed in a lab - -
it was 93% Nitro with residual water and acid , we ran it straight out of the drum -
when we took the heads off the cylinder walls were rusty...:oops:

Paul had purchased some containers of Nitro at an auction - it was used for putting out oil well fires ---
because it was clear folks knew it wasn't for racing...
That was when all the Nitro used for racing had yellow dye added that turned blue if you added bad stuff...

A lot of truckers would put Kerosene in their tanks during the winter so the diesel fuel would jell up. But, unfortunately, A lot of gas stations that sell it and it's red dyed. So, if they DOT'ed they check the fuel. If you're diesel has red in in it you're F'ed.

The red dye diesel is cheaper than the blue because it doesn’t include road use taxes.
The red is intended for off-road use only.

What additives would could it to cause it to turn blue? Example please.

Hydrazine - was the main thing they were testing for. John Mitchel made a filter to filter the dye out of the Nitro. It was a piece of 4" PVC pipe with a Bag of activated charcoal in it. That stopped some of the pointed Green flames, but nothing would stop the Amona smell or what it did to your throat (or Motor). Nitric acid and Hydrogen Peroxide were also used as additives but they also were really bad stuff. I drove for someone who was friends for the chemist at Cox and we tried stuff that I am paying for still today in my lungs.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back