Chili cookoff coming up (1 Viewer)

Nitrohaulic

Nitro Member
27th annual Miller Lite Chili Cookoff (I know, nobody likes Miller right now) coming up on Sept 30th. Anyone living within driving distance of Atlanta/Stone Mountain Park might want to consider this. It's an awesome time for almost no money. Try to sample over 300 different chilis. We've been going for about ten years. I used to be able to do them all until they went over 200. :) Your entry ticket stub is your vote that you drop into the box of the one you liked the best (if you can remember which one it was and are still sober enough to go back and find it). Everyone wants your vote, so it's not just chili. Anything they can think of to put out there to make their chili taste good. Fritos, Doritos, onions, grated cheese, etc. There's also a cornbread division that you get to sample, too.

I see that the tribute bands this year are for Steely Dan, Guns n Roses, The Who, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Last year's were for Van Halen, The Doors, Aerosmith, and Led Zeppelin. An absolute great time for only 8 bucks. The park is worth going to, anyways. Has it's own campground. Do the chili cookoff/outdoor concert all day Saturday, laser show Saturday night, breakfast buffet on the balcony of Stone Mountain Inn Sunday morning (with a view of the tram going up and down the mountain for your atmosphere), walk all the food off by hiking the mountain Sunday along with doing the rest of the park.

Half the entertainment is watching people try the habanero chili that some of the contestants will put out for the fun of it. The other half is the campground at 2AM, with hundreds of people full of chili, cheese, and beer and some screaming from neighboring tents. You figure it out. :D

http://www.theatlantachilicookoff.com/about.htm

http://stonemountainpark.com/

Last edited:
That sounds excellent. Wish I could be in the Atlanta region for that because I LOVE chili. As a matter of fact I will be headed to Eastern Oregon in a couple of weeks for a hunting trip and a batch of good homemade chili always accompanies me on these outings.

Have fun. This chilihead certainly wishes he were there.

Yeah, you've got to experience this thing just to appreciate the atmosphere. Thousands of people who don't know each other but all like each other just because we're on the same page for the mission that we're here for.

They have prizes for best display, so people really go all out with themes, as you can see by the pics. One group, Hangman's chili, builds a gallows each year. The dummy on the noose has a sign around his neck that reads "Man caught with canned chili!" Another with a "pirate ship" booth gets pretty sloshed, then walks out with their cardboard swords, trying to abduct various "wenches" as they walk by, LOL.

The cookoff or the park are each worth going to by themselves. When you can do both in a weekend, it's just awesome. I know we went once and were done for life.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back