Candies & Hughes T/F car for sale (1 Viewer)

It might make an interesting Top Dragster or big dollar bracket racing 1/8 mile Super Pro car.

We went to Indy for the Nationals in 2013 and did the Speedway tour on the Thursday. It was cool to see a dragster with the Indy cars in the museum. Too bad they are removing it.

There sure is a shitload of stuff from Tom Hanna that is for sale. He must have done quite well in business in the last 30 years or so. It will be real interesting to see what the front engine dragsters sell for. Old dragsters and funny cars just don't sell for much, considering what all other collector racing cars seem to get at auctions.

According to a Facebook post:
The '67 Creitz & Donovan Restoration sold for $112,500
The Gordon Tatum SPE Dragster sold for $71,000 (the one I liked the most)
The Surfers II sold for $48,500
The Tom Hanna AA/FD FED sold for $102,500

Thanks for posting those prices, esp since I don't do Facebook. I'm surprised the Surf II car sold for that fairly low amount, especially compared to the C&D dragster.

I had never seen the Tatum SPE dragster. I don't think there are any pictures of it on Don Ewald's site, are there?

There are no pictures of the Tatum SPE car because it has never been run. It was built and hidden by Gordon, never saw a drag strip. The surprise to me is the $48,500 for the Tatum Surfers II car. Thought it would bring more as it's totally original, including paint in good condition. Hanna thought it was the most beautiful car he ever built. He tried for many years to finally get it. For someone that wants a great, original, cackle car they got a real bargain. I remember vividly being at Cerny's Paint when we painted it for Gordon. Beautiful car, lousy driver.

Check out this story about when Richie Bandel bought the car and the lady sitting on the tire in the photo.

I remember that great article. Phil definitely has an ability to find some fascinating stories !

Bill Pitts did a fantastic job on "The Surfers" there are 51 episode's. Starting Jan 1, 2016 and ending
on Oct 1, 2018. I started watching on Jan 1, 2016. With all episode's now on YouTube it won't take
you 2 years and 8 months to watch. All episode's are around 15 minutes. I have watched it 3 times
and learn something new each time, I'm a slow learner LOL. Well anyway I have linked episode's 47
and 48 on the Bandel Bros. and Jim's girl friend and episode 1 to get started. It is well worth the
watch! Drag Racing Magazine, May 1967 with the Bandel Bros. on the cover, I have had it in my collection
for 45 plus years. It is in my top 10 of alltime favorite Drag Rags!!!
View attachment 7727
Number 47
Number 48
Number 1

Hey thanks Jim. I had never heard of this series before. Just watched the first two episodes and will continue as I have time. Very cool. I am amazed at the stuff that you find ! Thanks again.

I didn't realize people wore mullets around the time of the Surfers.
And, I wish I hadn't seen that. lol

The Quincy Automotive twin was the first Freight Train. I saw it run at San Fernando in 1962, but it had the blowers mounted on top of the engines then.

The Bandel Bros. AA/FD 1967 "The Summer Of Love"
View attachment 7728
Richie Bandel in the far lane in the "Bandel Bros." AA/FD at Englishtown 1967
View attachment 7732
From left to right Bob Skinner (back to camera) Tom Jobe and the Bandel Bros at Pomona 1967
View attachment 7733
View attachment 7734
View attachment 7735
Bob and Tom tried to teach the Bandel Bros. to run the car but to no avail. The Bros. returned to
New York ran the car a couple 3 times then sold it to Gordon Tatum. The rest is history.
View attachment 7736
Richie at Pomona 1967

The next 2 shots why...Why Not
View attachment 7737
View attachment 7738
I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A NICE BIG CLEAR WALLPAPER OF THE ABOVE PHOTO..GREAT SHOT

I WONDER WHO GOT WHAT FROM THE HANNA AUCTION........KEEPING AN EYE OUT FOR SHIRTS AND HATS ON THE WEB

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back