California Truck Issue is Back (1 Viewer)

Registered member said:
Well if thats the case, why beat our heads against the wall to race there??
Why hire lead cars, custom the rigs, pay fines, get special permits, ect.??
If Cal. refuses to conform with the other 47, thats up to them.

Like you said, they don't know we're there, so they won't miss us when we're gone. Our racers should'nt have to go thru the bother & expence to satisfy one state.

they don't know we're there, so they won't miss us when we're gone.

LA might not miss NHRA, but NHRA would miss LA. It's one of the top markets in the country, and I'm sure NHRA wouldn't turn it's back on 60+ years of history.

Again, this is a stupid issue. A small number of people built trailers they fully knew were illegal, and yet you want NHRA to pack up and move because of it?

The NHRA National Events at Pomona are the only major racing events in LA County. (IndyCar is in Orange County, NASCAR in San Bernardino County) There is an attendant amount of prestige and press that goes with those events simply because of their proximity to LA. NHRA is a healthy and economically viable business in large part because of those 2 events at the LA County Fairgrounds. $10 to park (or more) $9 beers (or more) and $8 Hot Dogs plus the most expensive tickets on tour go a long way to keeping the company coffers full. Could NHRA take the financial hit of losing those 2 events? I would rather delay finding out as long as possible.

I don't understand how trailer manufacturers built trailers they knew would be illegal. I don't understand how teams didn't realize their trailers were illegal or that they were building/buying illegal trailers. I agree with Christopher, it is not an issue that warrants uprooting the entire sanctioning body from one state to another (and losing 3 National Events) because the teams can't get their CalTrans/DOT houses in order. It seems to me that CalTrans has let the teams slide for a long time, and they have finally decided enough was enough. The rules are the same for everybody, including race teams. There is NOTHING unfair about it.

Last edited:
There is a fine point here that is worth noting.

As I understand it, the issue is the AC units, generators, and compressors on the front of the trailer body. Refrigerated trucks have a 53' box, and the AC unit on the front (up to 3' deep) is not counted. The race teams have AC, generators, and compressors in this same space. Shouldn't that be allowed?

Again, as I understand it, the straw the broke the camel's back was when trailer manufacturers started enclosing that section, for looks, safety, security, who knows. But that was the tipping point for the laws. No longer was it boxes tacked on the front, but an additional enclosed area. Some states said OK, others did not.

In any case, several of the teams have acknowledged that the trailers were built in jeopardy of the laws, but done anyway. They skirted the weigh stations at night to avoid detection. I understand pushing the limits, that's what these people do every day. But just as when you push your engine too far and it craters, if you dance at the edge of the law and get caught you have no one but yourself to blame.

Chris,

I don't think what you're saying is completely accurate. The 56' trailers are legal by federal rule. Some states require a special permit to allow them on the road. CalTrans has a specific permit on the books allowing the 56' trailers. The issue seems to be that even though they acknowledge that there is a permit they won't sell you one!

There are a few states that require a permit in order to bring the long trailers in, you need to state where you will be and in some cases they will tell you what route you need to take (I believe Florida does this). They don't want them downtown or in other congested areas. But driving them to the track and then out again isn't going to put you on any neighborhood streets.

There was a case a few years back with the drom boxes, anybody remember that? If you had a tool or storage box on the tractor the rig was deemed in violation. The same tractor, same length, same wheelbase without the box was perfectly legal.

As always, my opinion,

Alan

Last edited:
Where is the IndyCar race in Orange County? Once OCIR closed, the only thing you could race in the OC is a 500cc speedway bike at the 1/10 mile Orange County Fairgrounds oval. (which, btw, put on a helluva show and their transporters are much smaller.) There might be one of those indoor karting deals somewhere in the OC.

The Long Beach Gran Prix thing is held in Long Beach, which happens to be in the same county as the Fairplex.

I think I wouldn't cry if Pomona went off the schedule. Pomona is the polar opposite of Norwalk and Bandimere in nearly every aspect of drag racing event management. I live 45 miles from the parking lot the NHRA and the ____fill in your favorite extract inappropriate amounts of money and hassle descriptor ________ turn into a drag strip twice a year. I find less and less motivation to endure the loveless colonoscopy the races have turned into for the fan.

Geography lesson over, class dismissed.

Last edited:
Alan, you are clearly much closer to the situation than I am. I was merely relaying what someone told me at Pomona I this year, but I defer to your more intimate understanding of the details.

I just want to say....I have spent hours on this issue myself personally in the last 4 days. I want to personally thank V Gaines, Michelle Domagala and the entire PRO organization for making it possible for many to race in Sonoma this weekend. The time and energy these folks have spent is unbelievable!

Chris,
............. CalTrans has a specific permit on the books allowing the 56' trailers. The issue seems to be that even though they acknowledge that there is a permit they won't sell you one!.........
Alan

Kind of reminds you of a Harley Pro Stock bike, huh Alan...............

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D

State of California, 53' max trailer length and no overall length limit due to CALDOT Motorsports exemption. My rig is 81 feet long with a 53' trailer. I was pulled over on the 10 freeway on the way back from Phoenix a few years ago and measured by the CHP. I presented this form to the officer (I printed it out and keep in my rig) and was sent on my way no problems.

Here it is...print it out and keep it with you: Motorsports Routes

I'm no fan of Pelosi, but she is a senator representing California in Washington D.C. She does not participate in the governing of California. The problem here is CalTrans bureaucracy and a disfunctional state senate and legislature.

You are absolutely right----Pelosi is responsible for helping destroy the COUNTRY---not just Kalifornia. Lets give credit where credit is due.:D

You are absolutely right----Pelosi is responsible for helping destroy the COUNTRY---not just Kalifornia. Lets give credit where credit is due.:D

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but what is dysfunctional about enforcing the 53' length law? Does a race team really need an extra 3'? Sounds like blatant disrespect for the law to me..
Buy another truck, or leave your coffee pot home...

Nobody ever seemed to care about it when the over-the road owner operator was forced to follow the rules accordingly, and their rules are financially back-breaking compared to this 56' nonsense of entitlement attitude that seems to be going on here..
Just because you are a race team (IMHO) doesn't give you the right to be a princess..

Bottom line here..
The law is 53'. Want it changed?? Well then, go through the proper channels and change it, but don't vilify those enforcing it because you think you are something special.
I got to wonder, just how did Big Daddy survive?

Last edited:
After the last round, how many 56' trailers are left? Didn't a bunch of teams spend the money to have their trailers shortened?

But George 56' trailers are legal. Some staes just require a permit. I don't understand why a cash strapped state like CA. wouldn't just sell the permit take the money and be on the way.

Alan

P.S. Does this remind anybody of the CDL rules? Talk about clear as mud!

Does this remind anybody of the CDL rules? Talk about clear as mud!

Exactly. I don't know anyone who understands the rules on what is legal in any one state, let alone in several. Talk to the state DOT you get one clear as mud definition, talk to the highway patrol you get another, ask someone at a weigh station and hear another. In the end it all ends up being dependent on the mood of the officer who pulls you over.

Best rule of thumb: be as inconspicuous as you can, drive cautiously and diligently, offend no one, and if you get pulled over, be the nicest person that officer has or will ever meet. Know your rights as best you can, but whatever you do, don't get on the muscle with them because they can and will find a way to make your life worse than theirs.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back