California Truck Issue is Back (1 Viewer)

In the end, aren't we all just preaching to the choir here? I repeat my earlier statement for the Californians... Get on the phone, get on the internet, and let the people that can actually do something know what is going on. If California has a permit system in place, but won't issue any of said permits... make some noise. I've called and emailed my county supervisor all the the up to Governor Moonbeam. I actually have gotten responses. Of course it's the perfunctory "we'll look into it". They seem to perk up when you point out the millions of dollars lost in revenue for the Sonoma and Pomona environs. I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but what is dysfunctional about enforcing the 53' length law? Does a race team really need an extra 3'? Sounds like blatant disrespect for the law to me..
Buy another truck, or leave your coffee pot home...

Nobody ever seemed to care about it when the over-the road owner operator was forced to follow the rules accordingly, and their rules are financially back-breaking compared to this 56' nonsense of entitlement attitude that seems to be going on here..
Just because you are a race team (IMHO) doesn't give you the right to be a princess..

Bottom line here..
The law is 53'. Want it changed?? Well then, go through the proper channels and change it, but don't vilify those enforcing it because you think you are something special.
I got to wonder, just how did Big Daddy survive?
I don't have a dog in this hunt either because our trailer is a 53'. But I know all the teams that do, and I have not heard any of them try to vilify anyone. Most of the vilifying has been done on the drag race forums. As far as going through the proper channels, that's what they have been doing all year, and it looks like it has paid off for them. I do agree with you about how hard it is for the owner operators, I had a small fleet of trucks for 15 years, but I sold them in 1989 because of all the gov hassle, and the diminishing profit.

Last edited:
Exactly. I don't know anyone who understands the rules on what is legal in any one state, let alone in several. Talk to the state DOT you get one clear as mud definition, talk to the highway patrol you get another, ask someone at a weigh station and hear another. In the end it all ends up being dependent on the mood of the officer who pulls you over.

Best rule of thumb: be as inconspicuous as you can, drive cautiously and diligently, offend no one, and if you get pulled over, be the nicest person that officer has or will ever meet. Know your rights as best you can, but whatever you do, don't get on the muscle with them because they can and will find a way to make your life worse than theirs.

...and print out everything you need or know because there's a good chance the LEO who pulls you over won't have a clue and you'll need to educate them.

...and print out everything you need or know because there's a good chance the LEO who pulls you over won't have a clue and you'll need to educate them.

It's like this for many things. I have an amateur radio license, and thus have a mobile radio installed in my car. This radio has a scanner function. Normally, scanners in cars are illegal, but the law specifically exempts hams. You'd be surprised how many LEO's don't know this. I carry a copy of that exemption in the glove box with me, and have had to pull it out a couple of times. (And also present my ham license, of course.)

Last edited:
But George 56' trailers are legal. Some staes just require a permit. I don't understand why a cash strapped state like CA. wouldn't just sell the permit take the money and be on the way.

Alan

P.S. Does this remind anybody of the CDL rules? Talk about clear as mud!

Exactly---Why not just sell them a permit since the trailers are legal. It never made any sense that you have to have a USDOT number which is the federal deal, but then each state gets to have different laws. And a pilot car for a race trailer??? I understand for mobile homes and wide loads or extremely long loads, but this is just borderline ridiculous. And correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the length in question actually forward of the trailer and not affecting the overall length anyway??? No wonder business concerns are leaving the land of fruits and nuts by the droves. Reminds me why back when we did lots of shows, we never did Kalifornia shows---too much hassle.

I know I'm going to hear about this. But in my opinion the NHRA/IHRA?ADRL should get together and mandate a rule.

53ft trailers
One Car = One Trailer
One Pit Space

Get rid of the 53ft Kitchens to supply Hospitality & crew areas
Get rid of the city blocks of trailers to supply one car.
Move Hospitality to other areas
Allow fans to be fans and the "elite" to be in their hospitality area somewhere else near the track.

Then a 53 ft trailer could go thru California
Cost would not be so much of an issue
Parking for RACECARS at national events would be easier

Because NHRA charges the teams thousands of dollars per event to park those rigs ,I doubt they would consider your idea... ;)

AND therein lies the problem: Are we in the racing business or the hospitality business?

And No! we shouldn't be in both.

We can Race and occasionally provide hospitality OR

As it is now we can provide hospitality and occasionally race.

The focus should be on racing!

If you are a team with big sponsors, having the hospitality area allows sponsors and their guests the opportunity to watch the crews work on the cars, which they wouldn't get with hospitality somewhere else. Like it or not, time marchs on and things change. Of course, I'm a bit biased since I get to go in the Lucas and Kalitta hospitality areas.....get to be my age and it's a blessing!

AND therein lies the problem: Are we in the racing business or the hospitality business?

The reality is we are in the business of selling sponsorships to facilitate the racing. Hospitality is part of that. The two cannot be separated easily...

We can Race and occasionally provide hospitality OR

As it is now we can provide hospitality and occasionally race.

The focus should be on racing!

You may be in the racing business, but NHRA is in the entertainment business. Sponsorship is a key part of that.

The fact that NHRA hospitality is in the pits, and that the pits are open to everyone, is a key differentiator between NHRA and literally every other motorsport. You can't take that away.

So people don't want NHRA to regulate cars, engines, fuel or anything else, but they should put a limit on trailer length? LoLoLoLoLoL

That's the new funniest thing I ever heard on the mater......

Nobody built an illegal trailer, the are legal according to federal law.

Alan

You may be in the racing business, but NHRA is in the entertainment business. Sponsorship is a key part of that.

The fact that NHRA hospitality is in the pits, and that the pits are open to everyone, is a key differentiator between NHRA and literally every other motorsport. You can't take that away.

I'm sorry, I did not understand it's the National Hospitality Reception Association.

There are Hospitality areas at Nascar, Indy, WoO, Arca, Etc. They are not in the pits because they chose to not allow them in the pits. All of those sanctioning bodies are in the "entertainment" business.

Now the reality is I understand why they are there and also welcome them but It has gotten out of control. As an example when Pro stockers are pitting in grass so Funny car can have hospitality. It's out of hand!

So people don't want NHRA to regulate cars, engines, fuel or anything else, but they should put a limit on trailer length? LoLoLoLoLoL

That's the new funniest thing I ever heard on the mater......

Nobody built an illegal trailer, the are legal according to federal law.

Alan

Alan..I was under the impression that federal law only provided that the state can't impose a minimum length requirement and it was up to the states to decide on maximum trailer lenghts.

I know I'm going to hear about this. But in my opinion the NHRA/IHRA?ADRL should get together and mandate a rule.

53ft trailers
One Car = One Trailer
One Pit Space

Get rid of the 53ft Kitchens to supply Hospitality & crew areas
Get rid of the city blocks of trailers to supply one car.
Move Hospitality to other areas
Allow fans to be fans and the "elite" to be in their hospitality area somewhere else near the track.

Then a 53 ft trailer could go thru California
Cost would not be so much of an issue
Parking for RACECARS at national events would be easier

You're getting rid of ROI for SPONSORS now. Part of the benefit to sponsoring an NHRA team is the corporate hospitality tents at the races.

With regard to advertising and sponsorship and the purpose of racing in the corporate world, probably the greatest quote on the subject came from the late Bernie Little, owner of the Miss Budwiser hydroplane--the most successful racing boat on the planet. When asked what he did for a living, Bernie replied "I'm in the business of making friends". That's what corporate sponsorship is all about folks.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back