Apparently John Force got hurt last year at Dallas (1 Viewer)

I was already sick of seeing the crash more than a dozen time when Ashley and John came to the line in the 2nd round.

I almost puked when Paul Page said that the run was "eerily similar to John's crash last year" just because Ashley crossed the centerline.

WTF!?!?!?!?

ESPN needs to pull their lips off John Force Racing's collective backside and realize there is a whole lot more to the sport than all-Force, all the time.

A-friggin-men.

Bunch of haters.
f83137e9.gif

LMFAO Go Wilk! Force sucks.

Paul Flores is my Hero.....:D

Well what the hell should they be talking about? How about Tony Schumacher winning every race? Oh wait, they did that at Indy. I hate to say this, but what other great stories do they have to talk about? Let's see, sponsors are leaving, poeple will be out of rides, the 1000' fiasco, NHRA running off Rockstar, no standing by the fence at Indy? I'm out of ideas, what do you think they should talk about? I think they lurk here, let's have some ideas.

Dave

I was already sick of seeing the crash more than a dozen time when Ashley and John came to the line in the 2nd round.

I almost puked when Paul Page said that the run was "eerily similar to John's crash last year" just because Ashley crossed the centerline.

WTF!?!?!?!?

ESPN needs to pull their lips off John Force Racing's collective backside and realize there is a whole lot more to the sport than all-Force, all the time.

Actually, how Ashley hit the cones was quite a resemblance to last year. They didn't really have to go about it the way they did by saying "similar to last year" but the truth of the matter is that it was somewhat close.

The best part was when John said "I don't get to plug my sponsors very much anymore" :rolleyes:

Ashley's race agains't John reminded me of Vern Moats doing it in the Alky FC's, and Alan Reinhart saying that "Vern goes Bowling!"

imagine all the haters whinning that the john force crash that almost cost him his life is getting too much air time but all the $humacher fans say nothing of the non- stop tony $humacher interviews week after week, he got interviewed first over jr after he lost! yeesh!!!!!!!!

Maybe JR was still busy thumping his chest and saluting.

You mean after unbuckling and standing up in the car while it was still on the track?

and Jeff... it is getting old... and that's coming from a guy that likes a blue, a white, and a 'shelby' mustang, a pair of independent chevy's, a pair of DSR Blue cars, a yellow and a part time toyotas...

some things just get run into the ground by ESPN2...

d'kid

NHRA will never, ever grow as long as they continue to market the Funny Car category as "Team Force in this corner vs Everybody Else in that corner." Yeah, yeah, I know Force returning to Dallas after last year's crash was a big deal, and by no stretch of the imagination am I remotely a "hater", but last night's telecast was, bar none, the most bush league, unprofessional coverage I've ever seen, and my first telecast was Garlits at Indy in '65. The oversaturation was ridiculous. ESPN could have easily mentioned Steve Engel's
passing in place of one of the Force clips.

Last edited:
You guy's are right. Some jerk at E-Town will put a camera in Connie's face, and a mike to his mouth, and want a comment. Talk about cold and insensitive......

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I still remember, vividly, Bobby Allison sitting on the pit wall at the Daytona 500 the year after he had lost both sons (Davey and Clifford). Commentator David Hobbs comes up and asks him "How does it feel for there not to be an Allison in the field for the first time in X years?" I was hoping Bobby would have showed him how much it hurt.

WTF!?!?!?!?

You are correct.

I really think the problem is the broadcast team is too lazy to go out and do some reporting instead of just running the same crap over and over.

People love stories about the underdog doing well. Wilkerson and Greg Stanfield got about squat for coverage. How about some stories on how these two do so well against the highly funded teams.

Was he really? Hmm wonder why they didn't cover it:rolleyes:

I understand showing the wreck a time or two and covering his return but good lord was this a bunch.

Between that and showing the update of the points after just about every burnout...ya know I shouldn't say that they'll figure out a way to give countdown burnout points..

I agree it was excessive but I expected it. I wonder what sponsors of other cars think when they watch espn's coverage and the bulk of interviews,human interest stories etc. revolve around John Force racing. In a time of dwindling sponsor dollars I really think it's time NHRA put a bug in Espn's ear to start spreading around the coverage a little for the good of the sport. I don't dispute that John Force is one of the biggest names in the sport but he has mega sponsorship deals on all his cars and many others are struggling to hang onto sponsors. I know this thread is about covering his injury last year but I had to voice my opinion on this. Our sport needs help and now!

You mean after unbuckling and standing up in the car while it was still on the track?

and Jeff... it is getting old... and that's coming from a guy that likes a blue, a white, and a 'shelby' mustang, a pair of independent chevy's, a pair of DSR Blue cars, a yellow and a part time toyotas...

some things just get run into the ground by ESPN2...

d'kid

Well put, Karl. I don't think anyone is a target for the "hater" label simply because they think there is way too much Force coverage. I think what AJ and Tony and DSR collectively have done this year is amazing and worthy of note, but I think that scenario is definitely overplayed also and that doesn't mean I'm a DSR "hater". It just kinda seems to me that if a first time viewer tuned into a telecast, he'd think that the whole NHRA show is JFR and DSR and a bunch of "other guys" tossed in for filler. Just my two cents worth

I really think the problem is the broadcast team is too lazy to go out and do some reporting instead of just running the same crap over and over.

I wouldn't say it's the broadcast team that is too lazy, I lay blame with the network. They feel the need to sensationalize everthing to capture the interest of the viewer...I say, bull$h** They think we are too stupid to tune in just to watch...that we need "drama" to watch. :eek:

I'm a fan of JFR but I think this was just too way over the top. The whole coming back in the helicopter...what a waste of fuel, time and resources.

I guess I feel like there are times that I would like to see something different, or more of someone or less of someone BUT, I will continue to watch because I love drag racing and seeing it on ESPN is better then not getting to see any of it all.
Also, John Force brings the most amount of $$$$$ to our sport and he is one if not the only one of drag racings household names that is still competing. If we had lost him last year the coverage would have been even worse.

I wouldn't say it's the broadcast team that is too lazy, I lay blame with the network. They feel the need to sensationalize everthing to capture the interest of the viewer...I say, bull$h** They think we are too stupid to tune in just to watch...that we need "drama" to watch. :eek:

I'm a fan of JFR but I think this was just too way over the top. The whole coming back in the helicopter...what a waste of fuel, time and resources.

I use the broadcast team as a reference to the whole operation from network to on air personnel.

I'm sure if they put a camera in Connie"s face and he doesn't like it they won't do it a second time!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back