Apparently John Force got hurt last year at Dallas (1 Viewer)

lmhb oyf

Nitro Member
According to ESPN, John Force was injured badly as a result of a crash at this very race last year.

Thankfully they've talked about it every single chance they could during the telecast of this year's race or we'd have never known.

Unreal...their coverage of John was unfortunately overshadowed by their 8+ hours of the Yankees last game at Yankee Stadium. (on 2 stations no less)

I hate ESPN.

Was he really? Hmm wonder why they didn't cover it:rolleyes:

I understand showing the wreck a time or two and covering his return but good lord was this a bunch.

Between that and showing the update of the points after just about every burnout...ya know I shouldn't say that they'll figure out a way to give countdown burnout points..

They also stated during one of the replays that John's acccident was caused from the track debris kicked into his lane from Bernstein.

you didnt see this coming?

complaining about seems to be a quite a moot point

I heard PP say that as well. I thought that was declared untrue back at the time. :confused: Rapid

You are correct. I believe John stated that the debris had nothing to do with the chassis breaking.
I turned the qualifying show off because i had enough of this. How about some air time for teams such as Densham that continue to get out there and win on very limited funds because they love the sport?

I saw very little of the shows this weekend but I bet I saw that crash replayed over a dozen times. Someone should have kept count how many times they showed it.

Well if you guys had enough of the Force/Dallas thing, you'd better get ready for E-Town next year.

Dave

Well if you guys had enough of the Force/Dallas thing, you'd better get ready for E-Town next year.

Dave

We here in Australia don't get the telecast of the Sunday's Racing from Dallas until Thursday Afternoon. 99% of the time it follows live Baseball, gridiron, basketball and so on. Complaining does no good. Now to the real hate thing, "Paul Page" He stumbles his way through every damn round, is making stupid remarks that are wrong. We need a petition to get rid of him and make NHRA/ESPN put someone in there next to Mike who really does now what they are talking about ie Garry Gerold or Dave Reith. As for the John Force crash you guys are talking about being covered way too much, I for one am not looking forward to E/Town coverage next year either.
Cheers Greg.
P.S. Thanks for the heads up.

Greg I usually enjoy the show, but they really played the crash to death.

You guy's are right. Some jerk at E-Town will put a camera in Connie's face, and a mike to his mouth, and want a comment. Talk about cold and insensitive......

You guy's are right. Some jerk at E-Town will put a camera in Connie's face, and a mike to his mouth, and want a comment. Talk about cold and insensitive......

I honestly doubt that...

The Force crash is NOTHING like Scott's accident, and those at NHRA and ESPN will report that sad annivesary accordingly.

I thought we talked about the kind of spectator they're going to try to appeal to in another thread? :rolleyes: They're just going after him with sensationalism. Like when someone watching stock car racing yells "WRECK!" and others come running. :D

Bunch of haters.
f83137e9.gif

LMFAO Go Wilk! Force sucks.

According to ESPN, John Force was injured badly as a result of a crash at this very race last year.

Thankfully they've talked about it every single chance they could during the telecast of this year's race or we'd have never known.

Unreal...their coverage of John was unfortunately overshadowed by their 8+ hours of the Yankees last game at Yankee Stadium. (on 2 stations no less)

I hate ESPN.

Drew, and everyone, please!
John Force is the face of the NHRA, and his return to the site of that horrific crash is a big story.
I don't live in Dallas, but if Force had that crash at my home track of Pomona, the newspaper I work for would have dedicated the same amount of coverage of his return as ESPN did. We would have a feature story on Force, his feelings of his return and what he had to do to get back to racing. We would also have a feature on the safety changes NHRA has implemented since the crash. Plus, we would have a sidebar story on the first day of qualifying and John's reaction to how it felt to go down strip at this track again. His story would be a high percentage of our coverage for the weekend. You guys might view it as overkill, we in the business see it as covering a big story.
Also, on your thoughts on ESPN's coverage of the final game of Yankee Stadium, I guess you don't know that Yankee Stadium is THE venue of American Sports, perhaps the world.
It's been the site of nearly half the World Series played since "The House that Ruth Built" debuted in 1923. It's also been the site of some famous events, including a classic Army-Notre Dame football game during the Knute Rockne era of the 1920s, "The Greatest Game Ever Played," the 1958 NFL title game between the Baltimore Colts and the New York Giants, some of the biggest boxing matches in history, and masses conducted by three Popes.
I was fortunate to visit this sports shrine this year and as far as I'm concerned 8 1/2 hours to honor this sports cathedral is not nearly enough!

Drew, and everyone, please!
John Force is the face of the NHRA, and his return to the site of that horrific crash is a big story.
I don't live in Dallas, but if Force had that crash at my home track of Pomona, the newspaper I work for would have dedicated the same amount of coverage of his return as ESPN did. We would have a feature story on Force, his feelings of his return and what he had to do to get back to racing. We would also have a feature on the safety changes NHRA has implemented since the crash. Plus, we would have a sidebar story on the first day of qualifying and John's reaction to how it felt to go down strip at this track again. His story would be a high percentage of our coverage for the weekend. You guys might view it as overkill, we in the business see it as covering a big story.
Also, on your thoughts on ESPN's coverage of the final game of Yankee Stadium, I guess you don't know that Yankee Stadium is THE venue of American Sports, perhaps the world.
It's been the site of nearly half the World Series played since "The House that Ruth Built" debuted in 1923. It's also been the site of some famous events, including a classic Army-Notre Dame football game during the Knute Rockne era of the 1920s, "The Greatest Game Ever Played," the 1958 NFL title game between the Baltimore Colts and the New York Giants, some of the biggest boxing matches in history, and masses conducted by three Popes.
I was fortunate to visit this sports shrine this year and as far as I'm concerned 8 1/2 hours to honor this sports cathedral is not nearly enough!

Sounds like they got you hook, line and sinker.

I was going to post something similar to this thread but am glad someone beat me to it. All in all I believe ESPN has done a great job this year. One thing I don't completely understand is why will they interview a loser and not the winner? (Sampey-Mcbride example) I am sure popularity plays into it but jeez.

Thinking positive, Monster had more air-time last night then they did all year!:D

Just my two cents worth, but I agree with those that felt the crash clip was heavily overused--yes, John apparently is the only thing the tv moguls deem worthy of coverage (heck, they even cut into the amount of Tony Shoe coverage this time!) but the Dallas race abounded with many, many stories worth coverage that failed to get any, or very little--Stanfield gets first PS win, Angie McBride beats Angelle (and Angelle gets the interview?:confused:), etc. And before someone jumps me, I am not a Force hater, just a viewer who feels that I don't need to see it on tv coverage every time John rides up the return road or the girls and mom stand at the starting line.
That being said, John Kernan did his usual superb job, and Dave Reiff was great in his 'bits". And Mike Minick, you hit the nail on the head, I DID see it coming, but it was much more overkill than I had anticipated. I guess you are right, I shoulda known better!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back