Apparently John Force got hurt last year at Dallas (1 Viewer)

I don't see why any of you that are complaining even tuned in. Was it just so you'd have something to complain about? I mean I, and probably anyone else with any sense at all, went into that race, not only attending Friday, but watching eliminations last night, knowing full well that the crash coverage and discussion would be relentless. Infact I think when I turned my tv off last night, I could still see images from it permanently burned into the screen. I don't see why anyone with a shred of logic would have expected otherwise. This was a huge story for the event.

Somewhere in all these years of Racing coverage, the E2 heads got convinced that crashes sell! How many times did we see the Tony P and Cory Mac crashes?:rolleyes:

I don't see why any of you that are complaining even tuned in. Was it just so you'd have something to complain about? I mean I, and probably anyone else with any sense at all, went into that race, not only attending Friday, but watching eliminations last night, knowing full well that the crash coverage and discussion would be relentless. Infact I think when I turned my tv off last night, I could still see images from it permanently burned into the screen. I don't see why anyone with a shred of logic would have expected otherwise. This was a huge story for the event.
Well, Greg, let's see if I can craft an answer here since you have deemed me to "not have any sense at all".....Why did I watch the race? Because I am a drag racer and a drag racing fan, that's why. I also was aware that there would be Force overload during the telecast. That DOESN'T mean I was any less interested in what went on at the race, thus "why I tuned in". Simply because I watched doesn't mean I have to like all the things in the telecast. I was bothered by the Force coverage overkill, especially the incessant re-running of the video of the crash, most of which came at the expense of other interesting and unique stories brewing here and there. If that makes me "senseless", guilty as charged. I become rather weary of watching anyone on this board being shredded whenever they dare to say anything negative about JFR, and being branded 'haters". I watched because I wanted to see the race--I thought there was too much Force coverage--I am deemed senseless for having the audacity to voice the opinion...so it goes, I guess.

I tuned in because it's the ONLY place to watch it. Trust me, if I could watch it in person or elsewhere I would.

I told our group in the stands yesterday and then again last night watching the telecast that all of yall would be out full force this morning on this. Thanks for proving me right. Gimme a break.

Well, Greg, let's see if I can craft an answer here since you have deemed me to "not have any sense at all

I made a comment about something that seems quite obvious. I don't think I deemed anyone on here specifically one way or the other, but if the shoe fits.....

Thanks, Greg--appreciate the affirmation. I'll just keep quiet from now on since "the shoe fits". And Justin, I have always respected you and your posts--sorry if you see me that way.

Well I agree, that John coming back to the place that about ended his career was news worthy, but having said that, the only tv interview the Wilk got was after the finals, I would think that someone running for the Championship would get a little TV time, we he got beat first round at Z-max got more coverage then him winning, I know I am partial but it is the truth, but what else can you do but watch, and I will do that this week in person in Memphis!!!

Bunch of haters.
f83137e9.gif

LMFAO Go Wilk! Force sucks.

Paul, I just noticed the subtext. CLASSIC!

Drew, and everyone, please!
John Force is the face of the NHRA, and his return to the site of that horrific crash is a big story.
I don't live in Dallas, but if Force had that crash at my home track of Pomona, the newspaper I work for would have dedicated the same amount of coverage of his return as ESPN did. We would have a feature story on Force, his feelings of his return and what he had to do to get back to racing. We would also have a feature on the safety changes NHRA has implemented since the crash. Plus, we would have a sidebar story on the first day of qualifying and John's reaction to how it felt to go down strip at this track again. His story would be a high percentage of our coverage for the weekend. You guys might view it as overkill, we in the business see it as covering a big story.
Also, on your thoughts on ESPN's coverage of the final game of Yankee Stadium, I guess you don't know that Yankee Stadium is THE venue of American Sports, perhaps the world.
It's been the site of nearly half the World Series played since "The House that Ruth Built" debuted in 1923. It's also been the site of some famous events, including a classic Army-Notre Dame football game during the Knute Rockne era of the 1920s, "The Greatest Game Ever Played," the 1958 NFL title game between the Baltimore Colts and the New York Giants, some of the biggest boxing matches in history, and masses conducted by three Popes.
I was fortunate to visit this sports shrine this year and as far as I'm concerned 8 1/2 hours to honor this sports cathedral is not nearly enough!

There is a difference between covering a story and completely going overboard. Yes John is the face of NHRA so everything he does is magnified, I get it. With this marking the 1yr of such a huge accident I know that it will be covered, I'm fine with that. Ya know how people rip on John Madden for his Bret Farve crush....it seems the duece has a similar one for Force. Don't get me wrong I'm a Force fan. Seeing the video 1 or 2 times and talking to him in 1 interview about the return, fine.

Whats the over/under on how many times they show the video next year?

Drew, and everyone, please!
John Force is the face of the NHRA, and his return to the site of that horrific crash is a big story.
I don't live in Dallas, but if Force had that crash at my home track of Pomona, the newspaper I work for would have dedicated the same amount of coverage of his return as ESPN did. We would have a feature story on Force, his feelings of his return and what he had to do to get back to racing. We would also have a feature on the safety changes NHRA has implemented since the crash. Plus, we would have a sidebar story on the first day of qualifying and John's reaction to how it felt to go down strip at this track again. His story would be a high percentage of our coverage for the weekend. You guys might view it as overkill, we in the business see it as covering a big story.
Also, on your thoughts on ESPN's coverage of the final game of Yankee Stadium, I guess you don't know that Yankee Stadium is THE venue of American Sports, perhaps the world.
It's been the site of nearly half the World Series played since "The House that Ruth Built" debuted in 1923. It's also been the site of some famous events, including a classic Army-Notre Dame football game during the Knute Rockne era of the 1920s, "The Greatest Game Ever Played," the 1958 NFL title game between the Baltimore Colts and the New York Giants, some of the biggest boxing matches in history, and masses conducted by three Popes.
I was fortunate to visit this sports shrine this year and as far as I'm concerned 8 1/2 hours to honor this sports cathedral is not nearly enough!

Steve, while I agree that John is the face of NHRA. It's Sad that NHRA feels that John Force and Ashley for that Matter, are the only way to which Professional Drag racing can be Marketed! And that I think is a shame... :rolleyes:

Nebraski... Always Hi-lite a PF Flyer Post... he's been sneaking this stuff in like for ages.... kinda like 'marginal thinking' in Mad Magazine

d'kid

Thanks for the heads-up there Karl! and you and I may be the only ones old enough on here to remember the classic days of MAD magazine. Were you a reader of CARtoons magazine by any chance (in the days of Pete Millar?) Think I'll always remember the "Tirezan" series!

I was already sick of seeing the crash more than a dozen time when Ashley and John came to the line in the 2nd round.

I almost puked when Paul Page said that the run was "eerily similar to John's crash last year" just because Ashley crossed the centerline.

WTF!?!?!?!?

ESPN needs to pull their lips off John Force Racing's collective backside and realize there is a whole lot more to the sport than all-Force, all the time.

On the Yankees I was wondering, since they are closing the stadium down where will the Yankees and all the great players that make up the big $$$$ payroll...I mean where are they going to play home games at in this years playoffs? .....What???? Your kidding me??? What??? No playoffs??? What about all that money????

Yeah, I'm pretty confident once again that it will be all smiles at this week's department meetings in the Motorsports' Marketing divisions at Ford Motor Company and Castrol. I looked away from the screen a few times; and everywhere I re-focused my eyes on, I still saw the Castrol logo burned into my retinas. I even called DirectTV thinking they must have switched ESPN2 & A&E without telling me. :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back