Anyone know Where Al Hoffman Is? (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member
I'd love to see Ol' Al make a comback... I think I heard he was in Fl. working on old muscle cars....

If he came back with enough $$ it sure would make FC interesting ;)

Last I heard, Al was still living in Umatilla, FL. I have ridden the Harley through there a few times on the way to Daytona and always thought it would be fun to do a pop-in, but Al didn't have a big sense of humor.

Al didn't have a big sense of humor.

Oh YES he does... I'm a retired cop from Stamford Ct. I used to get a Photo Pass to the starting line etc at E Town & Maple Grove... One time while he was walking the starting line before he ran, I asked him if I could stop by later to take some photos in his pit & get an autograph... He membered I was a Cop & said "I'll tell you what, If You get me a Get Out Of Jail Card" I'll do better than an autograph".

After his qualifying run, I went to his pit & gave me a Clock.. it was a piston with a rod connected and a clock in the big side of the rod.. he also gave me a Slick 50 Hat ..he signed it with 301.70 MPH on it..

I gave him a PBA card... and he was always friendly to me...I think 1/2 the time he looked MAD it was an act...

I'd love to see Ol' Al make a comback... I think I heard he was in Fl. working on old muscle cars....

If he came back with enough $$ it sure would make FC interesting ;)

Hey John!
I too, would love to see Al Hofmann make a huge comeback. I tried doing a google search and the link below is the only thing that came back to the Al Hofmann we know. Alan Reinhart would be the guy to ask, hope I spelled Alan's last name right.
http://www.cruisenewsonline.com/63Corvette.html

Al Hofmann was one of my all-time favorites. He was one tough, gritty competitor for sure. First time I remember seeing him was at Capitol Raceway in 1981 at the King of Kings with his China Syndrome Challenger. Back in those days through the Gemini cars, he was probably better known for riding out fires. He started to come on as a serious threat to win with the BDS cars.

I think it was the 91 Keystones he had a fire with the BDS Probe, and it didn't burn the body, but blistered it pretty bad. The next pass, the whole right quarter panel blew off the car, and they spent the rest of the day & night fixing the body. Guys from Leong's team were helping him & Helen repair the body with some salvageable pieces left, fiberglass resin, and a couple of halogen lights to cure the resin.

It sure would be nice to see him back mixing it up again.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back