Anybody know how to salvage a SATA hard-drive? (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
I broke off the plastic around pins on the serial connector when I was mounting it in my new case (Antec P180b) a couple weeks ago. Turns out I'm not the first one to do this with this case becuase of the way the drive cage is designed. :rolleyes: Of course with the plastic broken the cable won't stay put so I can't use the drive. Any ideas how to get around this? I have another drive, I just need to get the data off this one.

I broke off the plastic around pins on the serial connector when I was mounting it in my new case (Antec P180b) a couple weeks ago. Turns out I'm not the first one to do this with this case becuase of the way the drive cage is designed. :rolleyes: Of course with the plastic broken the cable won't stay put so I can't use the drive. Any ideas how to get around this? I have another drive, I just need to get the data off this one.

Brent - go to datadoctors.com. We have been printing for them for almost 20 years and thay have a huge database to assist customers. There might be an answer there. If not, you can contact them to get a quote on recovering your data. They have a clean room and can actually extract the disk from a burned or ruined hard drive - but . . . it ain't cheap! Hope they can help you, let me know - Jim

go to walmart and get some 5 min epoxy and glue the piece back in, or even glue the cable in place. If that doesn't work, Sata drives are hot swappable, so if need be, boot to another drive, then hold the cable in place while someone moves the data off.

No glue or tape please. Find a local computer store that stocks a cable like this one: Newegg.com - OKGEAR 18" SATA DATA AND POWER COMBO CABLE-UV BLUE Model OK105 - Retail

It incorporates both the power side and data side of a SATA hard drive. The power side will lock on well enough to hold things in place. Those cables on the SATA drive have always been the weak link in that setup.
Hey, I like the idea of this. Looks like it might work for me. It just sucks that they charge 4.99 to ship a 2.99 cable though. :rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back