Do you know how to 'forward' emails? (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
I love the internet and all the information out there, literally at our fingertips. I have many large distribution lists for various types of topics. My biggest pet peeve about email is when people just 'forward' someone else's email to me. You know the kind. When you open it, you have to scroll through 5 pages of previous emails, to get to the text or picture etc, someone sent you. This is not just annoying folks, it is a way for spammers to get your email address, and also how viruses and worms get passed around. For me, the preferred method is to copy what I want to send to someone else, then paste it into a new mail. Someone sent me the following, for those who insist on forwarding.

Great Information; we can all learn something from this! Do you really know how to forward e-mails? This was written by a system administrator for a corporate system. It is an excellent message that ABSOLUTELY applies to ALL of us who send e-mails. Please read the short letter below ..

Do you really know how to forward e-mails? 50% of us do; 50% DO NOT. Do you wonder why you get viruses or junk mail (Spam)? Do you hate it? Every time you forward an e-mail there is information left over from the people who got the message before you and sent it to you, namely their e-mail addresses and names.

As the messages get forwarded along, the list of addresses builds, and builds, and
builds.

All it takes is for some poor sap to get a virus, and his or her computer can send that virus to every e-mail address that has come across their computer. Or, someone can take all of those addresses and send junk mail to them or sell them to spammers in the hopes that you will go to the site and they will make five cents for each hit that they sell. That's right, all of that inconvenience over a nickel and because someone included visible email addresses in their forwarded message!

How do you stop it? Well, there are two easy steps:

1) When you Forward an e-mail, DELETE all of the other addresses
that appear in the body of the message (at the top). That's right, DELETE them.

Highlight them and delete them or backspace them or cut them - whatever it is you know how to do. It only takes a second. You MUST click the "Forward" button first though and then you will have full editing capabilities for the body and headers of the message. If you don't click on "Forward" first, you won't be able to edit the message at all. For AOL users, you must copy and paste. Just Forwarding will not permit you to edit the email by removing the other addresses.

(2) Whenever you send an e-mail to more than one person, do NOT use the To:eek:r Cc: columns for adding e-mail address. Always use the BCC: ( Blind Carbon Copy) column for listing the e-mail addresses. This way the people you send to only see their own e-mail address and no one else's. If you don't see your
BCC: option, click on where it says To: and your address list will appear. Highlight the address and choose BCC: and that's it, it's that easy.

When you send to BCC: your message will automatically say "Undisclosed Recipients" in the "TO:" field of the people who receive it, providing extra security and privacy to all the people in your Address Book.

(3) Remove any "FW:" in the subject line. You can re-name the subject if you wish or even correct spelling.

(4) ALWAYS hit your Forward button from the actual e-mail you are reading. Ever
get those e-mails that you have to open 10 FW: pages to read the one page with the information on it? By Forwarding from the actual, final page you wish someone to view, you stop them from having to open many e-mails just to see what you sent. (Many people will not open all those emails for fear of getting a virus so your message may go unread.)

Have you ever gotten an email that is a petition? It states a position and asks you to add your name and address and to Forward it to a number of people or your entire Address Book. The email can be Forwarded on and on and can collect thousands of names and email addresses.

FACT: The completed petition is actually worth a couple
of bucks to a professional spammer because of the wealth of valid names and email addresses contained therein. If you want to support the petition, send it as your own personal letter to the intended recipient(s). Your position may carry more weight as a personal letter than a laundry list of names and email address on a petition - and, again,you will protect the privacy of those in your Address Book and provide them additional security against viruses and spammers.

So please, in the future, let's stop the junk mail and the viruses by working together and respecting the privacy and security of one another.

Finally, here's an idea!!! Let's send this to everyone we know This is something that SHOULD be forwarded.

I have too many 'friends' that just will NOT go along with this. I have plain quit emailing them. Attaching all those addys for the world to see is just stupid and dangerous.

The biggest issue is NOT to click on any attachment that you don't know what it is. A Worm..or Trojan is not going to go after the addresses that reside in any email. They will find your Address Book and use that to create messages that appear to be from you..and then send the virus to each one in your Address Book (some are real nasty).

The removing of addresses before forwarding is more of a courtesy than anything..which is excellent advise.

Thanks Jackee

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back