Best way to mount a camera inside a nostalgia F/C (1 Viewer)

TSK

Staff member
Nitro Member
The thread title says it. I'm not sure if this is the best place for the thread but I figure it will get the most looks.
A buddy of mine wants me to mount my GoPro inside his nostalgia F/C when the car runs in about a month.
I have a roll cage mount but think the camera will interfere with the driver, so I don't want to do that.
Plus, I have a GoPro suction mount. I was thinking about mounting it on the firewall, with the camera facing the driver.
GoPro says the mount withstands 150 mph winds. Since it's inside the car, I'm not worried about the wind.
If I clean the firewall very well, will the suction mount hold on the firewall so we don't have to worry about the camera flying around inside the cockpit?
What do y'all suggest?
Thanks.

This is a video I did from about a year ago inside the nostalgia funny car I was driving. It was with a Replay XD camera, but I mounted it on the tin. It didn't have a suction cup, it came with a heavy duty grade two sided tape and clamp. I was a little nervous about it holding, but the videos have all come out great. I've done it several times. I know other teams who have used the GoPro for a similar shot and it worked fine.

Be careful, the GoPro's have come loose in a couple of NFC's... ask Robert Overholser in the California Hustler as the GoPro flew past him at about 1325 feet bouncing off of the windshield. He now uses the Replay XD and Mini.

Replay has a selection of billet mounts that attach with allen bolts.
http://replayxd.com/products/pro-mounts/

replayxd1080mini-poweron.jpg

From the NHRA Rule book:

Cameras must be securely attached to the vehicle with appropriate fasteners. May not be attached with suction cups, wire ties, hose clamps, etc. For any camera mounted external to any vehicle, all mounting brackets, associated fasteners, hardware, etc from the camera to the vehicle attachment point must be metal, no plastic or nonmetallic components are permitted. For all vehicles, attachment to the driver, the driver's helmet or the steering wheel is prohibited.

Thanks guys.
Mike, I watched that video of yours when it was posted earlier and that is what I want to get when I shoot next month.
Darr, thanks for posting the rules.

I do have some of those mounts with super sticky 3M tape.
We'll get something figured out that is safe and legal.

Thanks again.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back