Antron Discusses His Crash (1 Viewer)

Article states he (Antron) popped open the canopy and walked away. That didn't appear to be the case from the footage I watched. He did walk away but that canopy was obstructed from opening from 1) being partially upside down and 2) partially buried by pea gravel.

He wasn't getting out of there under his own power. As I saw it, the Safari team had to dig a little and force the canopy open. To me that would be a scary feeling at that point being OK but trapped and unable to escape a very small space. Not the same as being in an open cockpit vehicle w/o a canopy which he probably would have climbed out of by himself.

Could this incident deter others (at least temporarily) from procuring a canopy. It worked in almost all aspects of protecting AB, but at the same time presented a concerning set of circumstances ... ease of access, egress, or opening in a compromised situation.

They had to rock the car along with digging to get it open and being up against the wall it took several people .
It would have been the same w/o the canopy but chances are the cockpit would have been full of pea gravel .

Just like the Drag Boats the Cockpit and canopy is light years better than open .
They have designed cars to disintegrate leaving the passenger portion protected for years .

I would ask Don Garlits what he thinks about it .
Several people have had designs in the past using similar designs but lighter weight materials and extra H P make it more feasible .
Jim Head had an aerocar way back but it was heavy .

Article states he (Antron) popped open the canopy and walked away. That didn't appear to be the case from the footage I watched. He did walk away but that canopy was obstructed from opening from 1) being partially upside down and 2) partially buried by pea gravel.

He wasn't getting out of there under his own power. As I saw it, the Safari team had to dig a little and force the canopy open. To me that would be a scary feeling at that point being OK but trapped and unable to escape a very small space. Not the same as being in an open cockpit vehicle w/o a canopy which he probably would have climbed out of by himself.

Could this incident deter others (at least temporarily) from procuring a canopy. It worked in almost all aspects of protecting AB, but at the same time presented a concerning set of circumstances ... ease of access, egress, or opening in a compromised situation.

what Antron said was(I popped the latch) not I opened it himself.I believe this wreck might help others decide to get a capsule rather than deter.

A couple things I noticed was.
1. The driver popped the latch from inside?
I assume that there is another option to open the hatch. If the driver is unconscious he can't open the hatch, how is it then opened?
2. Antron seemed much more calm and collected.
In his Phoenix crash he seemed very rattled and even said he thought he was going to die. True Phoenix was a fatal crash, but his latest crash to me makes Phoenix pale in comparison. My thoughts was he handled it and discussed the wreck as if he does it every day.
Reminded me of Force way back when every trip down the track he was on fire and looking for Elvis.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back