Another good list (1 Viewer)

The glorious pre-run Funny Car ritual: long burnout, fast backup, dry hop across the line, back up, dry hop, dry hop … stage. Remembering the drama that was built into the sequence, with the engines barking at one another on the hops, still gives me goose bumps.

IMHO, that is the most missed thing in modern drag racing....it used to be two untamed bulls coming to the line, now it's two overly-refined race horses...

I'm pretty sure they never did dry launches, but does anyone do dry hops in nostalgia? I thought they've been lining up like the big show.

Man, those bleachers were empty at OCIR that day! Way emptier than any bleachers anywhere these days.

By modern rules, Prudhomme would have been DQ'd for going past the tree on the first dry hop/launch sequence after the burnout. If you tried that today, you would be fired before you staged the car and the Crew Chief would beat you with a torque wrench for putting too much heat in the clutch.

Things change and evolve ... While some of the things on that list are neat, it is obvious why the sport evolved away from them.

I have been to several Nostalgia shows, and nobody does dry hops. I believe Del Worsham was the only one to do them in his Blue Max tribute car a few years ago.

Man, those bleachers were empty at OCIR that day! Way emptier than any bleachers anywhere these days.

By modern rules, Prudhomme would have been DQ'd for going past the tree on the first dry hop/launch sequence after the burnout. If you tried that today, you would be fired before you staged the car and the Crew Chief would beat you with a torque wrench for putting too much heat in the clutch.

Things change and evolve ... While some of the things on that list are neat, it is obvious why the sport evolved away from them.

I have been to several Nostalgia shows, and nobody does dry hops. I believe Del Worsham was the only one to do them in his Blue Max tribute car a few years ago.

I have said that very thing, some of these vintage clips from 68-73 show Empty stands! Back when Drag racing was suppose to be at its Peak!

I looked it up and May 9th was a Saturday and judging by the shadows, it appears that that was shot in the late afternoon. Many events at OCIR happened at night. There's a goo chance that this was not an event at all, but a test date.

Yorba Linda was half hour away for Force, Northridge (Prudhomme's shop was down the street from Valley Head Service) was about 1 hour 15 minutes away from OCIR.

As stated, a different era. So don't look at this video and think you have know all there is to know.

Here try this aerial video from the '82 Winston World Finals. The footage is a bit shaky (it is 1982 ya know), but you'll get the idea.

Actually, the stands come eliminations were always packed to the gills. Dwight worked at the track, and was allowed to place his camera in different spots (Top of the iconic tower, suspended on a line over the track) but mostly filmed from the stands when it wasn't so busy. Take a look at his other clips. They're all worth a peek, and there's a mess of them from TF to FC to TAFC to TAD etc. Even some rocket car footage. May 9th 1981 was a Saturday, so I'm sure you folks that are looking for a chink in the armor will find one, but no matter what you say, these were some serious heady days of the fuel categories.

As far as the dry launches. Yup. That's the way they did them. It was a practice launch, to see how they were going to hook up, and drive accordingly. I believe the whole dry launch rule came about because around the time when tune ups and parts were changing, some teams would do them, some not. It was customary to know who you were racing, and their pre run sequence. If you did a long burn out, and dry launch/dry hops, you would begin long before the other lane, who would just do a shorty burnout and backup then stage. At this time, some teams would "accidentally" add a dry launch or long burnout when they usually didn't do one, hanging out their competitor as far as their routine, and basically, became a sure-fire way to get into their heads, but more importantly, mess with their temperature as they waited for you to finish your routine. The rule came when I believe, Pro Stock was famous for throwing in a full dry launch, with a slow back up which would really throw the routine of their competitor off.

here's a good example of Beadle's flopper having a tough time of it. Smoking the tires everytime he applied the throttle, so I'm sure he was really laying into the hand brake on the actual run, to no avail, it still lifted the wheels and lost traction.

Raymond Beadle AA/FC at OCIR 4-18-1981

Last edited:
I have said that very thing, some of these vintage clips from 68-73 show Empty stands! Back when Drag racing was suppose to be at its Peak!

There's a term that means a lot. Quality versus quantity. The quality of racing, the amount of actual cars involved, and the personality/teams involved is what gives most the impression that these were better days. Smaller stands, but a far more faithful crowd of followers. We didn't (as fans) ever judge the racing and it's health on fan numbers. We just knew it was enough to keep it going. It was when they tried to grow by huge leaps and bounds that they lost all touch with what made drag racing truly interesting. You could visit 3 or 4 National events a year, and see cars you only saw in magazines, and some locals would turn the place inside out when they qualified for Sunday elims. This happened often enough to make it exciting when someone you've never seen before came to the line against a big hitter. True, the quantity of races didn't stretch across 10 months, but then it's 10 months of the same cars. I guess it's all about what sort of things satisfy your appetite. Some folks like a great steak every once in awhile, some want hotdogs three times a day. Both are happy. Problem is, we have the hotdogs, and no steak dinners in sight.

Last edited:
Duallies and fifth-wheel trailers, the ultimate fashion statement of the 1970s Funny Car troops.

Surprise these trailers are in demand my all the guy's running the Nostalgic Events or even the Crackle Fests events. If you have an old Chapparral Trailer with the ribbed sides that is sitting in need of a complete restoration don't get rid of it because you just might be surprised to find guy's who want it.

They want everything to look period correct from their cars to the trailers and haulers.

Some these guys send me pictures of their cars and rigs and I post them on the Cool Car Projects page on my site. I really like what they are doing and it brings back the old day's just a little bit.

Jimbo

http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

There's a term that means a lot. Quality versus quantity. The quality of racing, the amount of actual cars involved, and the personality/teams involved is what gives most the impression that these were better days. Smaller stands, but a far more faithful crowd of followers. We didn't (as fans) ever judge the racing and it's health on fan numbers. We just knew it was enough to keep it going. It was when they tried to grow by huge leaps and bounds that they lost all touch with what made drag racing truly interesting. You could visit 3 or 4 National events a year, and see cars you only saw in magazines, and some locals would turn the place inside out when they qualified for Sunday elims. This happened often enough to make it exciting when someone you've never seen before came to the line against a big hitter. True, the quantity of races didn't stretch across 10 months, but then it's 10 months of the same cars. I guess it's all about what sort of things satisfy your appetite. Some folks like a great steak every once in awhile, some want hotdogs three times a day. Both are happy. Problem is, we have the hotdogs, and no steak dinners in sight.

Let's also remember there was NO Internet or ESPN3 or Dragracecentral posting results by the minute, you had to wait over a week to get any results whatsoever! And most races weren't even on TV, if they were they we're 2-3 weeks late!

You want dry hops? https://www.youtube.com or build your own dry hopper funny car, you probably won't be very competitive at the racing part if you are burning nitro.

Racers don't do dry hops anymore, they don't use roller starters or push starts either. They don't do flag starts in the Big Show anymore. They don't allow dragster crews to push the racecars back to the starting line after a burnout... the sanctioning bodies now require reversers.

Many things about drag racing have changed, thankfully there is a video archive on YouTube.

Joe; you just never sat on the 405 freeway for an hour waiting to get off the Alameda off ramp to get into Lions. There was tons of people at the big races.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back