Annie Whiteley into the sand (1 Viewer)

We have a long trap at Wild Horse in Phoenix, or you can use a shut off road instead of the kitty litter. Alan says that when you take the road, you're half way to Tucson. heh I think wild Horse has the longest shut down area cuz of that road. Was glad Annie didn't get hurt, and damage looked minimal to the car. She really skimmed over the kitty litter.

Nhra and the safety Safari need to change the trap. Hell the cars are gliding on top of it. Make it softer so the cars dig into the sand slowing it. Its something NHRA used to have....Common Sense! There is no reason at all for cars to be going so far in the sand trap. Let your bitching and griping about this start.

And why did it take such a long time to remove the car and resume racing?

And why did it take such a long time to remove the car and resume racing?
I wasn’t watching all access but if it damages the net they have to replace it and tighten it it took about 45-50 a couple weeks ago when the pro mod went in there

That has to be about the most helpless feeling ever! Car screaming towards the sand trap, no chutes, trying to slow with the brakes as it's bouncing like that. Crap!

Annie’s mishap was rd 2 against Gordon. David, I can vouch on the helpless feeling. Had it happen at E Town once. No chutes AND no brakes. Thru sand and thru the net. Wrecked everything it could wreck. Very scary

We go from Phoenix to Flagstaff quite often, from 1300' to 7000'. Going "back down the hill" you see a lot of sand traps for 18 wheelers. They go really deep & it's quite difficult to get them out. Maybe the kitty litter just needs to be deeper, or possibly a different type of gravel. It really scares me to see the cars just skim over the gravel like Annie did. Didn't seem to slow the car at all.

If you look at the underside of a funny car now they almost have a complete bellypan underneath. There is a small area between tanks and the engine that is open. Pea gravel has not much of an effect on slowing them down

If your going fast enough you will skip like a rock on water. You can’t make the sand softer then water.

I think its a catch 22; you want to safely stop a run away car, but don't want to destroy a car thats only a few feet in...I say, build the back of them up and slope down back towards the track and level out maybe 50-100' from the end of the asphalt (not sure of the grade). This way, the casual visitor just needs to be dusted off, but the runaway will dig in and stop. The driver will probably hurt for a while afterwards, but compared to the alternative.
It was a shame what happened to Annie. I'm glad she was able to slide it to a stop

I think its a catch 22; you want to safely stop a run away car, but don't want to destroy a car thats only a few feet in...I say, build the back of them up and slope down back towards the track and level out maybe 50-100' from the end of the asphalt (not sure of the grade). This way, the casual visitor just needs to be dusted off, but the runaway will dig in and stop. The driver will probably hurt for a while afterwards, but compared to the alternative.
It was a shame what happened to Annie. I'm glad she was able to slide it to a stop
I haven’t looked at the entry list for Charlotte yet hopefully she can make it. If you didn’t know she’s Cory reeds mom.

Sam, I disagree. The teams are the best developers of safety items, the NHRA just needs to manage the sport.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back