Anderson Switches Rides, Hopes for a Little Déjà vu in Dallas (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Mooresville, N.C., September 23, 2009 – Earlier this year, the Summit Racing team made a bold change prior to their sponsor’s race in Norwalk, Ohio, switching Jason Line from the Pro Stock Pontiac he had used in the first 11 races of the season to the mount his teammate Greg Anderson had campaigned in 2008. The move paid immediate dividends, as Line not only won that weekend’s race, but advanced to the final round in the next five races, adding another victory in Sonoma and securing the second seed in the NHRA’s Countdown to One championship playoff.

Three months later, it is Anderson’s turn to make a strategic swap. In a somewhat ironic twist, at this weekend’s O’Reilly Super Start Fall Nationals in Dallas, TX, the three-time champion will park his car and jump into the tangerine-colored Summit Racing GXP originally driven by Line and most recently leased and raced by Ronnie Humphrey. With this year’s Full Throttle Pro Stock championship on the line, it was a gamble Anderson felt was worth taking.

“With so much on the line, we felt the time was right to shake things up, so this weekend I’ll be racing Jason’s Summit Racing Pontiac from the beginning of the year,” explained Anderson. “Just like it was with Jason before Norwalk, I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with my race car. However, for whatever reason, it has just not been responding the way we’d like, so we decided to alter the formula.

“We’re not going to change anything but the driver. Hopefully, we’ll not only get back to running the way we should, but we’ll also see where we went wrong with the other car. It worked for Jason and Robert Hight (a Funny Car racer who swapped rides with his boss John Force earlier this season), so maybe it will work for me, putting us back into contention in the Countdown.”

If the challenge of adapting to a different car was not enough, the KB Racing crew must also deal with the compressed schedule of racing on consecutive weekends. This weekend’s stop in the Lone Star State is the second in a grueling four-week=2 0stretch that comprises the majority of the 2009 playoff season, putting an extra emphasis on consistency. Having already won twice at the Texas Motorplex, Anderson is well-schooled on what it takes to succeed on the all-concrete surface, and is understandably anxious to get back in the saddle.

“Racing on back-to-back weekends is the same whether you’re winning or losing,” detailed Anderson. “Naturally, if you’re doing well, you want to keep riding the wave. But if things aren’t turning out the way you need them to, you also want to get right back on the horse so you can start winning again.

“In our Summit Racing team’s case, the preparation remains the same, we just have less time. We had a20little extra work this week because we spent one day testing the new car, but since the last race was in Charlotte, things worked out fine. Besides, it’s the same for everyone out there.

“One good thing about this weekend is that we know we can count on the racetrack at the Motorplex. It’s always very good, giving us one less variable to contend with, which is exactly what we need right now. Certainly it can be a little tricky with the groove being so narrow, but we’ve been there enough to know that if you get out of the groove, you have to throttle back. It all comes down to execution and the driver doing his job. It also doesn’t hurt that I’ve won there twice.

“I’m looking forward to this weekend. I understand that I am extremely competitive and hate losing, but I’m not going to dwell on things that are already behind me. I’m ready to get back to the business at hand, which includes getting our Summit Racing Pontiac back to the winner’s circle.”

Anderson Texas Motorplex Stats –

RacesWinsFinals#1 Qual.Rounds WRounds LPct.

Fast Facts on Greg Anderson & the Summit Racing Pontiac crew
at the O’Reilly Super Start Fall NHRA Nationals:

Greg has been a Top Hand in Texas: In 12 career starts at the Texas Motorplex, Greg has two wins in three final round appearances and four finishes of the semifinals or better.

Anderson looks to extend his “odd” record in Dallas: Since 2003, Greg has advanced to final round at the Texas Motorplex in each20of the odd-numbered years, scoring wins in 2003 and 2005, while scoring a runner-up finish in 2007.

Anderson targeting bonus points: Greg has been the No. 1 qualifier four times in Ennis (in 12 career starts), and has not qualified lower than third since 2003.

Event Schedule:
Friday, September 25: Two qualifying sessions at 2:00 & 4:4 5 p.m.
Saturday, September 26: Two qualifying sessions at 11:15 a.m. & 2:30 p.m.
Sunday, September 27: Final eliminations starting at 11:00 a.m.

Television Coverage (all coverage on ESPN2):
Qualifying: Sunday, September 27 – 12:15 - 2:1520a.m.
(Repeat) Sunday, September 27 – 11:30 - 1:00 p.m.
Eliminations: Sunday, September 27 – 7:00 - 10:00 p.m.
RaceDay: Sunday, September 27 – 11:00 – 11:30 a.m.
(All times Eastern)

Established in 1968, Summit Racing Equipment is the leading high performance parts and accessories company. Summit Racing offers the largest selection, lowest prices, and best customer service in the high performance industry via catalogs, Internet, and Retail Super Stores. The company is headquartered in Tallmadge, Ohio with retail locations in Tallmadge, Ohio; Sparks, Nevada; and McDonough, Georgia.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back