Anderson Set to Uncork a Vintage Performance in Sonoma (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Mooresville, N.C., July 21, 2009 – For the better part of his 12-year driving career, Greg Anderson has set the bar for Pro Stock excellence. In the last nine years, no one in the category has come close to matching the Summit Racing Pontiac driver’s 57 national event wins. In addition, his 76 elimination round wins in 2004 were the most in the history of the NHRA, earning the Minnesota native the prestigious Driver of the Year award, which was only the second time this honor had been bestowed on a member of the drag racing community. Simply put, if Anderson enters a race, he is immediately considered a favorite to go home with the Wally.

Therefore, his showing so far in 2009 has to be considered somewhat of an anomaly. Although most would consider it a solid performance, sitting fourth in points and on the verge of securing his spot in the NHRA’s playoffs, with only one final round appearance in the first 14 races, it is a victory drought Anderson is determined to end as soon as possible. Fortunately, entering this weekend’s Fram Autolite Nationals in Sonoma, CA, the three-time champion’s confidence is buoyed by the knowledge that his KB Racing team is more than up to the task, as evidenced by teammate Jason Line’s three wins and five final round appearances.

“There is no denying this is the roughest spell of my career,” said Anderson. “But I prefer to see it as testing my mettle, so I’m not about to pack my tent and give up. I’m going to keep swinging, and it will turn around, hopefully sooner rather than later.

“The best thing is that I keep being reminded and shown how great a team I have around me. This Summit Racing team is the best. We’re not the fastest cars right now which is a little hard for us to swallow, but we’re still battling, clawing and digging, winning however we have to.

“Jason and the KB Racing crew are doing a fantastic job. There were two cars that were faster than us in Seattle, but we still made it to the final by beating one of those two, and almost took out the other one in the final.&nbsp ; We’re putting up a good fight, and we will make it back to the winner’s circle with my car, hopefully this weekend in Sonoma.”

If there was one track on the Full Throttle tour that would lend itself to be the scene for Anderson’s return to the winner’s circle, Infineon Raceway, site of this weekend’s event, would be a leading candidate. In his eighth previous visits to the Napa Valley, he has three wins in five final round appearances, with a phenomenal 80% elimination round win percentage.

“I love going to Sonoma,” said Anderson. “I’ve always run well at Infineon Raceway – it’s a good track, with a smooth racing surface and the air is usually pretty good. We hope we don’t get the extreme heat they8 0re forecasting, because the race conditions would be perfect, maybe better than we had in Seattle. We won’t have to make as many changes to our set-up as we did after Denver, so I don’t foresee any major problems. We should run well there.

“We’re in the ballpark, but need to eke a little more out of our cars to get closer to those top two guys, so we’ll keep chiseling at it throughout the weekend. I’m looking forward to racing at Infineon, because as long as I keep going back to the track with my Summit Racing team, I get a chance to turn things around, which is all I can ask right now. I can’t wait to get there and get these Pontiacs cranked back up.”

Anderson Pacific Raceway Stats –

RacesWinsFinals#1 Qual.Rounds WRounds LPct.

Fast Facts on Greg Anderson & the Summit Racing GXP crew
at the Fram Autolite Nationals:

Greg has excelled in the Napa Valley: In eight career starts at Infineon Raceway, Greg has three wins in five final round appearances tying him with Warren Johnson, Darrell Alderman and Jim Yates for the most wins by a Pro Stock driver in Sonoma.

Most recent win in Sonoma – a personal landmark: Greg’s most recent Sonoma win came in 2007, when he qualified #1 and defeated Bob Panella, Jim Yates, David Connolly and Jason Line for the landmark 50th national event win of his career.

Greg has been up front in Sonoma qualifying: Greg has been the No. 1 qualifier five times20in Sonoma(in eight career starts), and has an average starting spot of 2.4.

Event Schedule:
Friday, July 24: Two qualifying sessions at 4:00 & 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, July 25: Two qualifying sessions at 11:30 a.m. & 2:15 p.m.
&nbs p; Sunday, July 26: Final eliminations starting at 11:00 a.m.

Television Coverage (all coverage on ESPN2):
Qualifying: Saturday, July 25 – 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
Eliminations: Sunday, July 26 – 9:00 p.m. – 12:00 midnight
RaceDay: Sunday, July 26 – 11:00 – 11:30 a.m.
(All times Eastern)

Established in 1968, Summit Racing Equipment is the leading high performance parts and accessories company. Summit Racing offers the largest selection, lowest prices, and best customer service in the high performance industry via catalogs, Internet, and Retail Super Stores. The company is headquartered in Tallmadge, Ohio with retail locations in Tallmadge, Ohio; Sparks, Nevada; and McDonough, Georgia.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back