Amazing Jon Asher Article (1 Viewer)

Maybe the throttle stop racing has gone to your head ... or are you telling me that you actually set your throttle stop timer one time after the first run of the weekend and leave it there the entire weekend for all rounds of qualifying and eliminations?

Admittedly x.90 racing is not seeing much, if any, tire spin/over-rotation on the leave ... so there is some instant consistency. Tire shake is a reward for a fast car that tries to dead hook the leave ... so not only does weather (which determines horsepower) play a part, but so does starting line condition/track temperature.

I apologize, you are correct. Without knowing what he dialed my comment was incorrect.

Per your research, the average winner qualified #13 ... and that proves that the slower cars have a better chance. Not sure I follow that logic.

I was mainly taking exception with your calling out the faster qualifiers and essentially saying they weren't out there with a chance to win.

I never said they don't have a chance to win. I said they don't usually have the predictability to win. And my data proves that. If being the fastest was the best thing, the average qualifier would be much lower than 43%. What this number shows is that winners tend to come from near the middle of the pack.

Imagine how popular NASCAR or a World of outlaws sprint racing would be if when a race ended, it was announced that the winner was disqualified for going too quick.

Drag racing is alone in all of sport in having the pros and the amateurs competing at the same venue on the same day. That's seen by many as a good thing.

My granddaughter likes to play "ballet." Few people who buy a ticket to the Bolshoi are disappointed, however, when they learn that she is not on the playbill. There is a time and place for everything.
The quality of the show provides the value for the ticket price.
Christopher, please don't take this as personal criticisim, but a pair of throttle stopped dragsters is the very definfition of boring. It isn't the only problem with the NHRA's shows to be sure. It is one of them and a significant one. Ask the people who don't come anymore. I have asked.
Most of us understand the competitive nature of the Super racers and we all understand the financial pressures. Running these cars at back gate events is certainly alright.
They do not belong in "The Big Show." NHRA National events should be oriented to the fans and the non-automotive sponsors.
That is, unless we are content with watching our sport shrink.
Cheers,
Ed
P.S. Nobody ever came out (except my family-the ones I didn't disown) to see my bracket bomber. I never argued, however, that I didn't care that spectators preferred to head for the Porta-Loo rather than watch me race.

They also don't have three 75 minute intermissions at the Bolshoi. If you'd rather have the Geico clowns fill that spot, then fine.

Drag racing is alone in all of sport in having the pros and the amateurs competing at the same venue on the same day. That's seen by many as a good thing.

well, drag racing and sports car racing; "gentleman drivers" are a fixture in sports car racing.

I think there has been many great points made by all. Rich works harder than just about anyone promoting this sport. Thanks Rich ! Sadly, some of this is just basic marketing. Focus groups, survey monkey, online surveys and most young folks use blogs which us gray hairs generally haven't a clue about......we can receive feedback from the fans that come to the races.

What everyone is talking about is long term forecasting like any successful business. NHRA is clearly in the entertainment business. It has been written about in recent years that the top 15 jobs by 2030 haven't even been invented yet. Now we have to figure out how to have a healthy industry then......

I work with my own 20 something children and work promoting a 24 year old singer. If your not on You Tube you are missing a huge opportunity. I remember when Apple was 9.00 a share and was thought to be going bankrupt (Over 300 right now i think). It was only 3 years ago Blackberry was about $200 a share and now it is in serious trouble because the the youth market changed direction and most of the business guys I know have ipads and iphones now.

I am a dyed in the wool racer.....I've been accused of being a racing addict. I have said on this site before. The board of directors needs younger input.

For those young fans that come to the races....we can get input. Our long term problem is reaching those that do not even know our sport exists. And I agree and have stated so......first time fans don't really care about any names. We need to sell the sport. Fifty ways to talk about John Force is boring. And I have watched him since 1977.....

Jon has raised a great topic. Sadly, when the board got absolute power years ago and now Mr. Parks passed on. It will take special board leadership to change the course.

Lots of great business guys and gals involved in drag racing. Now if the board would just listen to some of them.......

I would love a shot at the board but I won't be holding my breath......blue is just not my color!!!!!!......LOL

Kk .... :)

They do not belong in "The Big Show." NHRA National events should be oriented to the fans and the non-automotive sponsors.

I wonder how much ticket prices would be without sportsmans classes at national events or would they just start charging the pros? NHRA could do a all pro show if they wanted to, they just need the extra revenue from the sportsmans guys.

The efforts could start with taking little kids to the track for exposure !
No doubt most of us were exposed to drag racing at an early age !

I first got exposed when my uncle leased land next to Green Valley Raceway and my cousin and I climbed over the fence to watch the races !

Got caught by a sharp eyed employe and was taken to see the man !
Bill Heilscher [ Mr Bardall ] the track owner scolded us saying we could get hurt climbing that barbwire fence and said we could come in anytime through the front gate .
So from then on we rode in on horseback since we were only about 12 !

Young people are the key to the sport surviving into the future !

IMHO I think NHRA national events could do without the "super classes", stock and super stock..........go with a 2 day event , nitro, alchy, PS, PM, and comp cars only...............or does IHRA just get it with it's "all about the show" Nitro Jam?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, since we're getting rid of what weighs down the NHRA to the buying public, we could add some "showbusiness" with these crazy ba$tards.

Fastest Motorcycle in the World! 237mph in 5.96 seconds! - YouTube

Jay Upton 6.17 second top fuel motorcycle - YouTube
Finally.

I think that 5.96 was a .93 but no matter, that's almost two tenths off of the current quickest piston-driven drag bike and 13 mph off the fastest speed for the same.

If you want a show that's beyond insanity then Eric Teboul should be invited, 5.20 at 281 mph on two wheels, 3.47 at the 660' - Eric Teboul

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

Really? REALLY? This is the one best thing the NHRA needs to do? Ban throttle stops? That would fix everything? Forget 1000', forget 3-second races, forget ancient technology, forget ticket prices, forget lackluster marketing, forget all of that. To fix all that's wrong with the NHRA, you'd ban throttle stops?

Let's be clear, almost no one (except friends/relatives) comes to a national event to watch the Super class cars. And no one except people who really understand the sport are fans of Super class racing. It really doesn't bother me or any of the 1000s of other Super class racers that everyone heads to the rest room when we run at a national event. We're there to race, we don't care if you watch.

Super class racing (racing with throttle stops) is about the racing, not about fans. It's some of the tightest, most competitive, most fun racing in the sport. And it's by far the most popular racing in terms of participation. Of the 40,000 licensed drivers, or thousands of those who chase divisional or national points, the clear majority of those are Super class racers. In pure numbers, Super class racers outnumber all the other classes combined. When you look at back gate revenue for the NHRA, the strong majority of that revenue comes from Super class racers.

Dear me, we're talking about fixing the NHRA, and the suggestion is to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Some of you people really need to stop by the clue store and pick up a case.

You conveniently took my statement out of context. Reread my post. I was ONLY talking about the Super classes.

So, the Super classes are for the racers and not the spectators, huh? Is that what you tell prospective sponsors when you are trying to gets funds from them? Bet they would love to hear that.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back