Amazing Jon Asher Article (1 Viewer)

Somebody gets it! Thank you Jon.

The aging and insular NHRA is insanely insistent and doing things their way and appears to have a contempt for new ideas and approaches. Guess what Glendora. You have been DEAD WRONG on your promotion and event administration for the past ten years. All you have to do is look into the stands to see who is right in this argument.

It is getting harder and harder to find someone under the age to 40 at the races. I work with high school age teenagers daily and I have to tell you, John Force has no appeal to them. NHRA has failed miserably to connect with this crowd. Most feel "if a kooky 60 year old dominates this sport, why do I want to do this I?" Would the NFL be so outrageously popular if its stars were in their 50's and 60's? Drag racing is only cool to us over 50 year olds.

It is time start thinking out of the box and start learning about how to live and thrive in 2012.

Last edited:
Adapting to social and technological change has never been one of the NHRA's strong-points.

This is an interesting and thought-provoking article. But, while Jon raises many valid points especially in the latter part, I have several bones to pick.

Kids these days. I have grown weary of the moaning from people over a certain age that can be summed up: "...but the kids these days". Kids always are different than those who preceded them. Be it tastes in music or clothing or entertainment, they are by definition different. I'm sure the parents of Wally Parks' and his children felt that way about their fascination with cars. We older folks have to stop relying on this excuse, and start paying attention to them.

Short attention spans. The key thing people bemoan about "kids these days" is their short attention spans. But this plays directly into drag racing's hand. Of all sports, drag racing should be the beneficiary of this trend. After all, what sport has the advantage here: a 3-4 hour NASCAR race, a 3 hour football or baseball game, a 90 minute soccer match, or a 4 second drag race. Instead of complaining about short attention spans, NHRA should be leveraging it.

Blame the customer. A lot of this complaining boils down to blaming the customer because they don't like your product. In the marketplace, businesses that do that die. You have to make a product that your customer wants, and if you don't you either change the product or you go out of business. If someone doesn't like your product, it's not they who have the problem.

The product is stale. Drag racing began as cutting edge modifications to the cars of the day -- modifications that not only improved on the car I drove every day, but that I could do myself. In the last 60 years, cars passed drag racing by, and in doing so made drag racing irrelevant. Almost nothing that is done to a drag race car today can I go out and put on my average street car today. New heads, manifolds, fancy carbs, big exhaust, etc. all were "race on Sunday, buy on Monday" items. None of it is relevant anymore.

As one example: the percentage of the 500+ cars at a National Event that run electronic fuel injection is probably <5% while the percentage of cars on the street that DON'T is probably similar. There is more state-of-the-art technology in my son's Honda Civic than in the car that won the Pro Stock world championship. Just bring up electronics on any drag racing forum and you'll get hit with thousands of haters -- people who want it like it was. "Like it was" is irrelevant to anyone under 50.

Kids don't like cars. This is just blatant pooh. Look at the success of the Fast and the Furious franchise, the huge dollars in the amazing racing games, the success of Top Gear (one of the most watched shows on the planet), the success drifting and other younger motorsports. They still have posters on their wall of cool cars, but they are Ferraris and Lambos, and GTRs. When people say "kids don't like cars" they mean kids don't like the same cars I do. See my first point above.

Kids don't like working on cars. Kids like working on things, they do it all the time. Huge numbers of kids build their own computers, putting in the hottest graphics card, overclocking them to the fastest possible speed, swapping in new power supplies and the latest SSD hard drive. They love this kind of thing -- because it is open, easy, and encouraged by the marketplace. Vendors build the parts, people share info on how to do it, there are online forums and discussions about it, it's a rich ecosystem.

Compare this with the Honda, Toyota, and even Ford of today. These cars are locked up like Fort Knox. There used to be a similar ecosystem around the car world, but it took business away from the dealer service department. Today you can't get the service manual for a new car unless you're a dealer. You can't buy anywhere near the level of add-ons/hop-ups that you used to because the manufacturers actively discourage it.

You can't work on cars today. The computer world had a similar problem. Apple and others actively discouraged people from cracking open their computers, just like the Honda dealer. But along came the internet and sites like iFixIt.com. They have step by step instructions on how to fix your iPhone, your iPad, and hundreds of other gizmos. They sell the parts and give away the instructions. I replaced the battery on all the iPhones in my family the other day, a highly technical thing Apple actively discourages, and it cost me $19.95 a piece. Where's the iFixIt.com for the car world? Shouldn't Jegs or Summit be all over this, actively instructing people how to hop up their Civic, instead of selling carburetors to old people?

Marketing for whom? Jon is right on some key points though. NHRA needs to decide what it is: is it a business or is it a sanctioning body. It's not clear it can be both. Key to this is that NHRA has to realize that a rising tide raises all boats. It needs to put priority number one making others successful (the track operators, the race teams, the sponsors) and bask in the afterglow of that. This is tough today because NHRA competes with them all by operating their own tracks, selling competing wares, and fighting teams for sponsors. Maybe if NHRA made others more successful at doing those things, and simply took their cut, the whole world of drag racing would be more successful.

Chris

I feel they need to start pushing how much of a cool and unique motorsport this is. Not who's gonna win the title? John Force 300,000 times a season, Nor any names. This sports needs to be promoted with the characteristics of what makes it addicting. This sport will get new ticket buyers/followers, if they get to brag to their buds what they experience. Ground shaking, noise, smoke, nitro, the hard to find words of what it feels like when an 8000 hp motor reacts at the tree. No one gives a crap about oh, "I met John Force" no one is gonna get that quote to bring friends to the races, but if they say "I just experienced somewhat contolled mayhem with 320 MPH nitro cars" that will start to sell.

This is an interesting and thought-provoking article. But, while Jon raises many valid points especially in the latter part, I have several bones to pick.

Kids these days. I have grown weary of the moaning from people over a certain age that can be summed up: "...but the kids these days". Kids always are different than those who preceded them. Be it tastes in music or clothing or entertainment, they are by definition different. I'm sure the parents of Wally Parks' and his children felt that way about their fascination with cars. We older folks have to stop relying on this excuse, and start paying attention to them.

Short attention spans. The key thing people bemoan about "kids these days" is their short attention spans. But this plays directly into drag racing's hand. Of all sports, drag racing should be the beneficiary of this trend. After all, what sport has the advantage here: a 3-4 hour NASCAR race, a 3 hour football or baseball game, a 90 minute soccer match, or a 4 second drag race. Instead of complaining about short attention spans, NHRA should be leveraging it.

Blame the customer. A lot of this complaining boils down to blaming the customer because they don't like your product. In the marketplace, businesses that do that die. You have to make a product that your customer wants, and if you don't you either change the product or you go out of business. If someone doesn't like your product, it's not they who have the problem.

The product is stale. Drag racing began as cutting edge modifications to the cars of the day -- modifications that not only improved on the car I drove every day, but that I could do myself. In the last 60 years, cars passed drag racing by, and in doing so made drag racing irrelevant. Almost nothing that is done to a drag race car today can I go out and put on my average street car today. New heads, manifolds, fancy carbs, big exhaust, etc. all were "race on Sunday, buy on Monday" items. None of it is relevant anymore.

As one example: the percentage of the 500+ cars at a National Event that run electronic fuel injection is probably <5% while the percentage of cars on the street that DON'T is probably similar. There is more state-of-the-art technology in my son's Honda Civic than in the car that won the Pro Stock world championship. Just bring up electronics on any drag racing forum and you'll get hit with thousands of haters -- people who want it like it was. "Like it was" is irrelevant to anyone under 50.

Kids don't like cars. This is just blatant pooh. Look at the success of the Fast and the Furious franchise, the huge dollars in the amazing racing games, the success of Top Gear (one of the most watched shows on the planet), the success drifting and other younger motorsports. They still have posters on their wall of cool cars, but they are Ferraris and Lambos, and GTRs. When people say "kids don't like cars" they mean kids don't like the same cars I do. See my first point above.

Kids don't like working on cars. Kids like working on things, they do it all the time. Huge numbers of kids build their own computers, putting in the hottest graphics card, overclocking them to the fastest possible speed, swapping in new power supplies and the latest SSD hard drive. They love this kind of thing -- because it is open, easy, and encouraged by the marketplace. Vendors build the parts, people share info on how to do it, there are online forums and discussions about it, it's a rich ecosystem.

Compare this with the Honda, Toyota, and even Ford of today. These cars are locked up like Fort Knox. There used to be a similar ecosystem around the car world, but it took business away from the dealer service department. Today you can't get the service manual for a new car unless you're a dealer. You can't buy anywhere near the level of add-ons/hop-ups that you used to because the manufacturers actively discourage it.

You can't work on cars today. The computer world had a similar problem. Apple and others actively discouraged people from cracking open their computers, just like the Honda dealer. But along came the internet and sites like iFixIt.com. They have step by step instructions on how to fix your iPhone, your iPad, and hundreds of other gizmos. They sell the parts and give away the instructions. I replaced the battery on all the iPhones in my family the other day, a highly technical thing Apple actively discourages, and it cost me $19.95 a piece. Where's the iFixIt.com for the car world? Shouldn't Jegs or Summit be all over this, actively instructing people how to hop up their Civic, instead of selling carburetors to old people?

Marketing for whom? Jon is right on some key points though. NHRA needs to decide what it is: is it a business or is it a sanctioning body. It's not clear it can be both. Key to this is that NHRA has to realize that a rising tide raises all boats. It needs to put priority number one making others successful (the track operators, the race teams, the sponsors) and bask in the afterglow of that. This is tough today because NHRA competes with them all by operating their own tracks, selling competing wares, and fighting teams for sponsors. Maybe if NHRA made others more successful at doing those things, and simply took their cut, the whole world of drag racing would be more successful.

Chris

You bring several good points to the table. The thing that bugs me the most is how come I know about 50-60 people my age 27 +/- 6 years, Male and female, that would do anything to go to a football game. Yeah, that's 3 hours, but why is there more of a passion for football then there is for drag racing? Several of my friends are all season ticket holders with large networks of friends who have Jets/Giants, Islanders tickets, (hense NY) where as there's 2 drag races a year in this area and these same friends could not be any more disinterested. What is drag racing missing or not doing right in the public eye that it loses ground to other sports, yet alone more importantly LOSES MONEY because of other sports? It's not like they are competing with the IHRA, even when the IHRA had a good program NHRA made damn sure they scheduled the same weekend to try and win the audience.

Last edited:
on 12/20/2011, post #34 on the Larry Dixon thread, i stated i did not think
web-based advertising could lure youth to races.... i stand corrected.
Jon's thoughts here i can not argue with - I think he is very accurate in
portraying youtube as one of the many puzzle pieces needed to advertise our
sport to today's 'wired' youth.

the nhra video game?..... i like the idea (even R rated); can i buy it next month?
probably not

more/better nhra/espn youtube promotions?...... it should happen tomorrow.

The NHRA has been particularly active when it comes to “protecting” their ESPN-produced video coverage from appearing on YouTube, and to what end? It darn sure hasn’t brought new fans to the track, but it has accomplished one thing. It’s thoroughly pissed off the potential viewer who missed the giant wheelstand/crash-‘n-burn Funny Car incident/Pro-Stocker-into-the-wall situation during the initial broadcast or even the repeat. And pulling down those video clips eliminates any possibility of a casual YouTube crawler becoming interested enough to buy a ticket. As Mark Richtel’s Times article eloquently pointed out, today’s teenagers spend hundreds of hours yearly crawling through YouTube and other digital video sites, and it’s certainly possible that a 60-second, well-produced clip on drag racing could result in increased ticket sales.

NHRA might respond to that suggestion by saying it’s common practice for drag racing “spectaculars” to appear during local news telecasts, but those have the shelf live of Charlie Sheen’s marriages, while YouTube clips last, well, forever. If today’s young people are all over YouTube, as the evidence indicates, NHRA Drag Racing needs to be there too. If that exposure will excite them enough to want to come to the track, who does it benefit to eliminate those clips? ESPN? Are we to think that ESPN really cares about NHRA Drag Racing? What ESPN cares about is making money, and the higher the ratings are for the telecasts, the more they can charge advertisers. Maybe ESPN, like NHRA, can’t see the value in “teasing” potential viewers/ticket buyers with “free” clips on YouTube or similar sites.

Type “NASCAR” into the YouTube search engine and you’ll get more than 197,00 results. Type in “NHRA” and the number’s 33,500. What does that tell you?

Obviously, regardless of the alphabetized organization’s name you type into the search engine, not every clip that comes up is an “official” offering from that group, but the point is still valid. There are about six times as many clips about stock car racing as there are about drag racing. If just 2 percent of those clips are “legitimate” or “real,” that means there are about 4,000 stock car clips to less than 700 on drag racing. Think of the good that might come from having a few thousand “real” NHRA Drag Racing clips online. Using any kind of logic you care to espouse, that kind of exposure just has to help.

Some how, some way, NHRA needs to use the talented people already working in their video department to actually produce 15-, 30-, 60- and even 120-second clips specifically for YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion and too many other clip sites to even consider listing. And they can’t be all “good” news. They have to include things like the dust-up between Force and Pedregon, and while we might think that’s old news, it’s timeless on a clip site and still impactful to an audience that may have never seen it before. NHRA needs to stop worrying about it’s image in those situations, and go for what will bring in more people.

frisbees.....i like it.
'why don't you give these out to some of the boys in lieu of pay' MB
:D

Last edited:
why is there more of a passion for football then there is for drag racing?

Much of this lies at the feet of NHRA. They are busy promoting the NHRA, but the NFL is busy promoting the teams.

Try this for yourself. Go to NFL.com, MLB.com, NASCAR.com and so on. What do you see? The focus is on the teams, the players, the stories. It's about the sport. Yes, there's a couple of ads, yes, they try to point you to tickets. But the focus is on the sport.

Now go to NHRA.com. This is what you see today:

nhracom.jpg

I've circled the portions that are about teams/stories. The rest is NHRA promoting itself. Their various series, their NitroMall, countdown to their event at their track, double side banners to buy their tickets, a video celebration of their sponsorship with Full Throttle, promo for their newspaper, signup to their newsletter, hell even a promo for their Visa card.

If you want to see what's wrong with this sport, you need go no further than NHRA.com.

Wow. Never thought of it, but you may be right. This alone may tell you more about how the management feels about their racers than anything else.

There are now a LOT of "new" activities that young people do that "older" folks didn't. The internet, computer games, video games, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, iPhones, etc. This takes up a lot of the young people's time.

The fact that it's damn near impossible to do any work on the newer cars didn't help either. I wish I never sold my '71 Dodge Demon. At least I could work on it!

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...880-up-front-facing-up-to-a-very-tough-future

The Most Important Point In The Entire Article:

"The bottom line here is brutally simple: NHRA must find a way of impacting an audience it’s just now beginning to collectively realize they may have already lost."

All of us purists love the sport, however it is hard to get to young audiences.

The last time I went to Perris to see a sprint car race, I thought the same thing. It was an aging audience. I'd see the same people that I saw 30 years ago at Ascot.

Back in the 1980's when I first started doing real estate appraising I had to remind myself during the summer months to watch out for the kids playing outside as I drove through neighborhoods. They were everywhere. Fast forward to the summers of the last 10 years. There are literally no kids playing outside. I do the inspection of the home and to a kid, they are all in the house on the internet.

The bulk of todays kids have no interest in hands on stuff like we did when I was young. We messed with Cox airplanes, radio controlled cars, fixed our own bikes, played with electric trains and even helped dad work on the car.

I think John Ratzenberger (Cheers mailman) makes a good point in this Q & A article:

John Ratzenberger On Why We're Becoming A Third World Country

From the article:

"You have said we as a country are running out of workers. What do you mean by that?

The average age of the American factory worker is around 57 years old. A lot of people aren't aware of that. Many major corporations, especially in manufacturing, can't find enough workers. The companies can't say anything because it will affect their stock prices. There's a ton of work out there, it's just that there aren't enough skilled people to fill them. We need to inspire the next generation before we run out of people who can make a building and invent things. We've got maybe six to 10 years before the entire workforce is impacted."

Age kinda fits the drag racing demographic.

And this from the article:

"How come this is happening? How come kids don't have these skills anymore?

At the end of World War II, people came back from the war and started raising families -- the baby boomers. The focus was on education because our parents worked with their hands and did hard work. So in the '50s and '60s, the mantra was you have to go to college -- don't work as hard as I did. So everybody had it in their head you had to have a college education in order to succeed. So what we did was cancel shop courses. Manual training, carpentry, plumbing, electricians, masonry. So what we did was mistakenly send everyone to college, and now we have a big void in an area where there's nobody to fill.

How does the Information Age affect your campaign?

There's no such thing. You can make money on the buying and selling of information, but you can't sustain an economy on that. Someone has to grow corn. A computer is not going to do that. Somebody has to pack it, ship it, make it into succotash or popcorn. That's where the economy is. But the Information Age helps in sending out the message. We have to turn to our young people and make sure they have skills. That they know how to use a hammer, know how to use a wrench. That's important if we want to sustain a society."

In a sense it's what I have seen in homes across all of Southern California lately. Internet and video games have become the parent and are the new reality. Some have even suggested that kids today have lost communication skills because they'd rather be texting than actually talking. Even my own nephews struggle to adjust the electric seats in their cars. Need the oil changed? Jiffy Lube.

When I was 21 years old I wanted a 1971 SS 454 fully loaded El Camino to tow my race car trailer. All I could find were manual transmission El Caminos that fit the requirement but I had to have an automatic. So, I bought a manual tranny 'Camino, ripped out the bucket seats, ripped out the console, changed out the steering column with one I got from the wrecking yard out of a 1970 Monte Carlo SS so I could have column shift, bought the bench seat out of it too, got a 400 turbo and converter from Champ Racing transmissions, changed the driveshaft yoke, and installed a tranny cooler. I sold the bellhousing, clutch and Muncie 4 speed I took out of it to help pay for it. I told my nephews (who are 23 and 26 years old) about all this and they think I was nuts. Back when I did it any one of my friends could have done the same thing. Today, except for the kids I know at the races, I can't think of anyone under the age of 45 who would attempt to pull this off.

The problem is a lot bigger than the NHRA marketing department. We've had a fair amount of success in the past with my TA/FC and I have never been able to get my nephews the least bit interested in going or being a part of my racing program. They'd rather be texting their friends.

RG

All through the 80's and early 90's I was a Mac Tool distributor and was heavily involved in Drag Racing. I help promote the building of Heartland Park. After the track was built Mac Tools started getting involved in promoting their product through NHRA. We as distributors were offered the opportunity to sell tickets and hospitality for the fall race. For the first four years we were selling out filling a whole section in general admission, during that time people were into bright colors and we would offer free hats and all you could see is a section full of pink or yellow hats. The tickets we sold weren't to mechanics only, they brought their whole family and everyone had a blast and couldn't wait till next year.
Then something happened, NHRA seen how successful Mac Tools was doing that they wanted part of the success so they raised the pot and killed it. Bottom line here is NHRA has no idea how to promote Drag Racing and if something isn't done soon it may not recover.
Look at Nascar the average age of driver now is in the late twenties, 10 yrs ago it was mid to late 30's. The young people are still interested in auto racing all you have to do is promote it to them.

I'm convinced NHRA could care less how full the stands look on Raceday as long as they break even! And until it effects sponsorship of Cars, or until Major sponsors choose NOT to renew cause NHRA isn't what it used to be....Until then nothing will be done to promote this sport!

Great article Jon.

The free handouts are such a simple idea. I always laugh at how NHRA treats their shirts like gold when the have the crew toss them out. I go to this Funny Car nationals race at a small Ohio track. They toss out more tshirts and Frisbees in one night then the NHRA does in 1/2 a season.

I thought it so sad when the had their fantasy pick em racing game and the weekly prizes were old shirts for race teams that didn't exist anymore. Just clueless.

It is such a simple thing but people leave feeling they got an extra bonus for their money. It is advertising for the track as people wear them away. The sponsors get a plug and in the case of a sample they have a great chance of someone trying something. That means a happy sponsor and in the end more money for them.

Obviously they need to make money, but they need to take the blinders off. The shortest route to a quick dollar tends to harm their long term potential and sustainability.

Just a little work on the NHRA mobile app would be a great start. Not only is it WAY overpriced at $4.99, if it does work the info is not nearly enough.

I could even see a fantasy league as part of the app...not that I want PJ out of a job. :D

Responding to Chris Williams post, I believe you seriously misunderstood some sections of what I wrote. I did not write, nor did I imply anything along the lines of “kids these days.” Every generation is different, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. And besides, this wasn’t about today’s young people. It was about the desperate need to get those young people interested in and excited about drag racing.

Chris, I work enough NHRA races to say that after one qualifying session most fans have had enough fun. If you watch carefully you’ll see that there are far more people in the stands for Saturday’s first session than for the second.

I do not believe that drag racing is stale. Only its marketing.

You are absolutely correct about fuel injection. Despite the moaning I can already hear coming from the Pro Stock people, it is long overdue in NHRA Drag Racing. We are so far behind the technological curve that it’s truly embarrassing.

Geez, Chris you said it yourself: “Look at the success of the Fast and the Furious franchise, the huge dollars in the amazing racing games…”
Drag racing lacks that kind of gaming excitement because we don’t have a game that’s worth anything.

You said it yourself – it’s almost impossible for kids to work on today’s cars.

Without meaning to be disrespectful or launch a barrage of hate mail, Wally Parks preached the gospel that the cars were the stars and the drivers were of secondary importance for literally decades. He finally changed his mind in 1985 when the late Hall of Fame Founders Award winner and then Dragster consultant John Raffa sat down with him and convinced him he had to change. He did, but NHRA had already missed the boat with outrageous personalities like Jungle Jim Liberman and others.

It’s also important to remember that for decades NHRA essentially ignored anyone who didn’t bother competing at their events (Jungle, the Chi-Town Hustler and too many others to mention). By ignoring those superstars, for many of them were indeed superstars, they ultimately damaged their own product.

Jesse Robinson’s story isn’t an isolated incident. NHRA has made the same mistake more than once by raising fees at an inappropriate time. And I’m not talking about their unconscionable decision to raise sportsman fees a while back. I’m talking about fees to sponsors. If you followed the bannering story that ran on CompetitionPlus you know what I’m talking about.

Joe Sherwood, you surprise me. NHRA absolutely cares about how many people are in the stands. It obviously affects the bottom line, but it’s also about marketing. The fuller the grandstands, the bigger the sport looks, and the more viable a marketing place it appears to be.

PJ, the shirt story is, alas, far too typical. In years gone by you might buy an event shirt from the Springnationals, only to open it and find the logo and artwork for the Winternationals on the other side. Never to throw out an unsold event shirt, they simply printed the other side and resealed ‘em in plastic so the buyer wouldn’t know what he had until he opened it. Makes me cringe just remembering it.

John Rogers, that app should be FREE. It’s a damn promotional tool, NOT a profit center!

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

This evening I had beers with a buddy of mine that used to work in PS and actually drove a PST, Dave Spitzer. He currently does cylinder heads for RCR in NASCAR. One thing we talked about was the state of drag racing in general, not just NHRA specific.

The point of our conversation was that for the most part, the new potential spectator for drag racing has so many other options for entertainment and also the fact the new generation of potential drag race fans really doesn't give a rats ass towards motorsports.

Dave is early 40's and I am late 30's. We talked about how our generation is really the last into anything involving an engine. Take 10 years off our ages and most people that age couldn't tell you the difference between a valve cover and valve stem yet tell you how to post on Facebook or send a text to all his/her friends.

Bottom line, the new generation of people willing to spend money are growing up with other avenues right in front of them to do it. They don't spend money on their cars to make them faster. They spend money on their cell phone or buying new games for their xbox or wi. 20 years ago the options to spend discretionary income was pretty small compared to today.

If any type of motorsports is going to be successful in the near future its going to take a complete change in direction. Yes NASCAR was successful but you have to admit its even on its own ass. Look at the stands at any race and you will see that the attendance isn't like it used to be 5 or 10 years ago. So you can't really say the NHRA needs to follow the NASCAR model. Anytime you are following someone else, you aren't the leader right?

I hate to say it but in order for our sport to survive in the long run, it sure as hell isn't going to be something we like to attend. We being the Joe Average drag race fan. We are a dying breed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back