Amazing Jon Asher Article (1 Viewer)

Well it's my first 2012 return to mater, happy 2012 for one. A lot of good points were made. Some truly crazy. Throttle Stops is the # 1 reason? Are you kidding me? I don't buy that for a second. Either way I like to address some posts:

Excellent point Chris.

Cannot disagree with any of that.

I am not a fan of this post. Unless there's an actual occupy Glendora (don't get any ideas) this is never going to change from the fans side of the fence. The only way to get NHRA to even blink at what the state of the sport is, is to let the experience the bitter taste. The NHRA never changes anything until they go through a negative experience. Fan feedback means much of nothing there. Promote the sport? Won't work cause people are not buying what the NHRA is selling, and no matter how good a promoter you are, it's pretty hard to sell the sport when the NHRA has the same ol, "it's not all broken, so why fix it" ticket that they sell.

The only way to get this sport growth and longevity is if and only if it comes from within, meaning that unless the NHRA makes a change and runs with it and utilizes it, no one outside HQ is ever going to make a difference. NHRA needs to make a change and back it and promote it, or nothing will ever change. You could promote the sport all day, even if your successful the key is to have fan retention where they comeback at minimum once a year to the big nationals in their area, and if you look at 2011, the NHRA is clearly not doing that. What people have to understand is this sport is having trouble selling to the people who love the sport, but who cares about that. Rich you have to look further cause your using the same method the NHRA uses, you can't keep selling the sport over and over again to the same markets and hope that maybe it will sell a little more.

This sport needs to be sold to markets that have members that know next to nothing or completely nothing about this sport. Screw tv, screw it. NHRA should be paying for general ad videos on yahoo.com, bing, etc... youtube, AIM, general web advertising. I understand it may seem like "oddball" advertising, but this is the point the sport has come to. Don't put an ad on ESPN2, put an ad on Fox during American Idol, it may seem crazy, but again, this is what I feel the sport needs, take risks on new markets and see if they fail before everyone says no never work.

NHRA is completely ignorant to it as their # 1 gameplan for 2011 was Fan Interaction. Polls, Twitter, Facebook, OK they woke up and joined the way to reach the fans and young market, but they are sitting there tooting their own horn saying "we hit 300,000 likes on facebook" when that truly means nothing. I guarantee you the stat on the likes vs. people who actually give the NHRA money are amazingly low. Why not even try coupons, NHRA store vouchers, so on? If I was the NHRA i rather fill the seat at 50% off what it should be then have it empty.

Just like my book, I'm doing my part to promote the sport because it's not just a stats book. Am I gonna sell any copies to a non NHRA fan? Maybe a handful. Of all the fans that buy my book are they gonna be going to a race in 2012, each and every one? Doubt it. It's not negatively affecting the NHRA, but it's not of any help.

Well like I say I have my critics.

Here's a hint to increase TV ratings: Shorten the show!! Three hours is to long to expect someone to sit in front of the tube especially in the summer.

100% on target. Although I do not see how it would improve the NHRA Financials, I am a huge fan of cutting the time. Maybe cutting the time would mean the NHRA pays espn less, who knows exactly how it works.

It's not that I don't like the shows I just can't sit there for that long to watch it. I know they feel obligated to show as many rounds as possible but I prefer to watch the top alcohol coverage instead because it's a shorter more compact show.

Judging by this thread I must be one strange 23 year old. I like old american cars, v8's, hotrods, land speed racing, and most of all drag racing and no I did grow up with it. I think there should be a drag race all day and night everyday. But I also thought it was a good idea to have an all day broadcast that shows every class. Though I remember mentioning that once before and Asher trashed that idea.

I must be crazy though.

I will admit though all this negativity about the future of this sport I love so much is very disilusioning and I find it harder and harder to get excited about what I might read on these great message boards anymore.

Judging by this thread I must be one strange 23 year old. I like old american cars, v8's, hotrods, land speed racing, and most of all drag racing and no I did grow up with it. I think there should be a drag race all day and night everyday. But I also thought it was a good idea to have an all day broadcast that shows every class. Though I remember mentioning that once before and Asher trashed that idea.

I must be crazy though.

I will admit though all this negativity about the future of this sport I love so much is very disilusioning and I find it harder and harder to get excited about what I might read on these great message boards anymore.

How many kids your age are as jazzed about Hot rods as you are?

It's not that I don't like the shows I just can't sit there for that long to watch it. I know they feel obligated to show as many rounds as possible but I prefer to watch the top alcohol coverage instead because it's a shorter more compact show.

My whole argument since day 1

I miss that bumbling idiot Paul Page!

He's perfect for the nhra, he's as clueless on somethings and even classless at times as they are.

How many kids your age are as jazzed about Hot rods as you are?

Exactly. All 5. If it even is cars that they are into it's not drag racing. It's Imports, It's Drifting. I can't tell you how big a following this non sport has. People say drag racing is a waste, not nearly as much as intentionally destroying a pair of tires and acting like we are the best thing that ever drove a car. Drifting can't hold a candle to drag racing.

Last edited:
I must be crazy though.

I think the difference is that you are too young to have experienced "the other side" of the coin.

This reminds me of the music in our generation from the 70's through 90's versus the digitally generated, lack of talent covering "artists" of today.
You can't possibly imagine just how totally screwed you were when it comes to your generation's music. Just as simular, you can't even begin to understand just how screwed over you are right now by the quality of NHRA drag racing in it's current 1,000' joke of a format without a single rising, relevant, recognizable national star..

When the NHRA and Diamond P productions aired NHRA Drag racing on TV, you guarded the remote with a gun. Today, you turn the channel to something with more drama, like Billy The Exterminater.:rolleyes:

When the NHRA circus came to town in the 80's and 90's, if you didn't have a reserved ticket, you might not sit at all. In Fact, the fence line was four deep the entire quarter mile.
Now, nobody cares because there is really nothing exciting to watch.

Last edited:
I think the difference is that you are too young to have experienced "the other side" of the coin.

This reminds me of the music in our generation from the 70's through 90's versus the digitally generated, lack of talent covering "artists" of today.
You can't possibly imagine just how totally screwed you were when it comes to your generation's music. Just as simular, you can't even begin to understand just how screwed over you are right now by the quality of NHRA drag racing right now.

Dude, are you ever positive about anything? God....and people think I'm the complainer!:rolleyes:

Maybe we all should just say Screw NHRA, quit going let the ship Go down! That way we can all say "We told you so". We can all laugh when Pomona draws maybe 3-4,000 fans on Sunday. And we can start supporting Nostalgia drag racing, NASCAR or Dirt track! I wonder how many Doom and Gloomers live on those message boards???

Last edited:
It's not about being negative, it's about helping the NHRA to open their eyes before it's too late in order to save this sport from itself..
If you feel that the status quo is fine, then I'll go away.

It's not about being negative, it's about helping the NHRA to open their eyes before it's too late in order to save this sport from itself..

I completely agree George is not negative, George has a habit, like myself of wanting to try and make NHRA what it used to be and he's not being a guy who always sees the cup half empty, he's a guy that's always dead on for people who still like to see the NHRA as a body that is still running strong. It's just the opposite, this sport has been facing hard times with every increasing year and once the NHRA actually shows the fans that it actually IS concerned, I will go away just like George. At this point i'm waiting for the day when everyone thinks this sport is fine and teams are spending 5 million a year to go 800 feet with 30,000 in the stands and 100,000 watching every race on tv! Instead of the insult of comments that guys like me usually get for a post like this, it's 2012 when are people gonna wake up and stop this trend that has been going on for years. This was going toward hell long before 2009

Last edited:

Sounds to me you have already given up on this sport! Your beating a Dead Horse!

The Fact remains, you either support this sport the way it is, or you don't! Pretty simple really...if any of you think NHRA is going to fly you out tomorrow to Glendora to hear your suggestions you need to get a life! It ain't happening...:confused:

Joe, I know you are very passionate, and you spend a lot to attend many events a year. I believe George hasn't given up, he, like all of us, is passionate, and is pointing out the obvious issues that the NHRA is really not addressing. This sport has been on a decline in crucial areas for years: Specators, participants, sponsors, and TV ratings. Ever hear the expression, "Nothing gets better by being left alone"? If the economy got real healthy, real quick, do you really see a bunch of companies coming in to spend millions? Will TV ratings suddenly go back to 2mil+? Will we get an influx of brand new Pro teams being created by new players? Truth is, these things weren't happening before the world crumbled in '08. I'm an eternal optimist, but we need leadership that can think to the future, and out of the box.

George, I feel the status quo is just fine, will you go away now? Oh, one more minor thing, would you please take the other deciple of doom with you, of coarse I'm speaking about the self imposed expert of drag racing,Patrick.:rolleyes:

You can't possibly imagine just how totally screwed you were when it comes to your generation's music. Just as simular, you can't even begin to understand just how screwed over you are right now by the quality of NHRA drag racing in it's current 1,000' joke of a format without a single rising, relevant, recognizable national star..

When the NHRA and Diamond P productions aired NHRA Drag racing on TV, you guarded the remote with a gun. Today, you turn the channel to something with more drama, like Billy The Exterminater.:rolleyes:

When the NHRA circus came to town in the 80's and 90's, if you didn't have a reserved ticket, you might not sit at all. In Fact, the fence line was four deep the entire quarter mile.
Now, nobody cares because there is really nothing exciting to watch.

I know exactly what you are saying and whats funny is I don't actually listen to the music that comes out today I listen to the stuff from back in the day because I like it better. I also agree on the diamond p coverage I have seen diamond p footage and its GREAT!!! I also watch all the time as much drag racing broadcasts from the 70's and 80's that I can find on youtube.

George, I feel the status quo is just fine, will you go away now? Oh, one more minor thing, would you please take the other deciple of doom with you, of coarse I'm speaking about the self imposed expert of drag racing,Patrick.:rolleyes:

Why don't you stop taking a shot at people like a 5 year old and voice an opinion about why YOU think this sport is fine, It's just so much more easier to attack isn't it? You guys can just remain clueless as you watch sponsors leave, stands get more empty and tracks get shorter. I'm not expert, I never said I was one, and how dare you try and take what my opinions are (right or wrong it's a free country, well I paid a dollar for it here) and tell me that I advertise myself as a genius and and expert. Your that naive? Anybody that needs to go away is you and you can come back when you dont make untrue assumptions about people and can learn to have an educated discussion. All this is, is just an open neutral attitude descussion and you have to come out this way. I take it Jon Asher is going to get alot of hate mail from you.

The Fact remains, you either support this sport the way it is, or you don't! Pretty simple really...if any of you think NHRA is going to fly you out tomorrow to Glendora to hear your suggestions you need to get a life! It ain't happening...:confused:

Did you ever think that's what's wrong? Corporations hire consultants all the time to take a look at the company and see how it can succeed. Can the NHRA try that? Can the NHRA actually value what they claim their "very important fans" and at least LISTEN to options instead of not listening at all. They stay in there building trying to fox problems on the outside from the inside. They need OUTSIDE help.

Last edited:
It seems ALL of us are consumed with or rather Obsessed with the notion that unless this sports' Popularity explodes beyond all of our expectations. Then it is doomed to certain Failure!

Jon Asher's column while making some valid points, is nothing New! How long have kids been playing video games, 15-20 years? Yet how many Junior Dragsters are there in this country, I bet it's in the Thousands!

I think Drag race fans cannot shake the NASCAR envy syndrome! The fact that since Major NASCAR races draw over 150,000 fans, why isn't NHRA? Or since the Daytona 500 pulls a 7.0 Ratings share (Just a guess...) why isn't NHRA pulling those numbers??

One thing I would have loved to see in the Asher Column is; where did all those Jr. Dragster racers go the past 20 years? Why did they quit? That's
the best place to start don't you think?

Since nobody commented on this the first time, here you go!

Right on Billy!

Drag Racing dies if we let it die!

This is my response:
[vbtube]wwAA01SN3j8[/vbtube]

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back