All Friday Racing Canceled for Houston (1 Viewer)

Professional Fan

Nitro Member
Just received an email that all racing has been canceled for Friday to give them time to get the facility ready to race after all the rain this week.

Another Shit Show, It's bad enough we hafta deal with the Covid. Wonder how they work out scheduled FS1 broadcasts if they don't have content?

Houston is a great track, but when it rains..... Maybe they could build an elevated sportsmen pit area (heh heh) or a levee around the track, or..... Spectator parking can be an adventure after the rain.

Yes, had a chance to go there a few years ago w/ my family in College Station. Loved that track, but I remember it had rained the morning we got there. Had to dry out the track, & I made sure we parked on "high ground" in the spectator parking - cuz it was mud & mud. Just went on a Sat for Q, Had to leave to go back to Phx on Sun. Would love to go there again. Never been to a race at the Plex & would love to go there as well.

The track I have been to the most is Wild Horse. Started going when it opened, what, 1984? Went to the first nat'l event there, like 37 years ago. Saw the 2020 version & then got to see Div 7 at Tucson and that was my last live race. Hoping to go to Div 7 at Wild Horse, but web site says nada about that race.

So, Friday is cancelled, Why not run 3 Pro Q sessions on Saturday? There is plenty of time to do that even with the sportsmans classes running, being that they don't have P/S bike or pro-mod this weekend? That would give the "die hard fans and newbies" a well worth their money a day of drag racing. I guess NHRA hasn't thought of that yet for their marketing.

Looking at the weather forecast I don't think there's going to be any racing at all this weekend in Baytown.

So, Friday is cancelled, Why not run 3 Pro Q sessions on Saturday? There is plenty of time to do that even with the sportsmans classes running, being that they don't have P/S bike or pro-mod this weekend? That would give the "die hard fans and newbies" a well worth their money a day of drag racing. I guess NHRA hasn't thought of that yet for their marketing.
Ugh ... Why must we attempt to lay everything at the feet of NHRA as bad? Seriously? Still amazes that NHRA diehards feel they are the key demographic. I get the selfishness, but forget about it, we're "older". People are willing to spend $$ to attend these events but they want to get in and get out especially with family in tow. They also want to witness the outcomes like who qualified #1 or who won on Sunday without having to invest 12-15 hours of time. Sorry, but that's the demographic ALL motorsports must cater to for evolution and survival.

Several things to consider:
  1. Looking at the new 2 day schedule for Houston, don't see room for 3 Pro sessions. Maybe in a perfect world, but we all know how that goes. Crashes, oildowns, rain, etc. and the next thing you know it's 9pm or later. Other than die hards, no one is interested in that. Racers hate it and spectators are long gone for the most part.
  2. What do you do in between the 2nd and 3rd sessions? Can't have a dead track. Can't trim the remaining sportsman fields down to zero leading to dead track periods late on Sunday.
  3. Maybe the teams don't want 3 sessions in a day. More $$, more work for the teams, more potential carnage ($$), you get the point.
At the end of the day, spectators drive the revenue and are a critical/necessary part of the sport, but it can't be solely about them. There is a race to be contested and championships to be won. So at some point, team/driver priorities have to be the primary focus.

Regardless of COVID ... I think these compressed schedules are here to stay in some shape or form. Especially at venues that do not draw large car counts or large spectator volume. The lower cost from less runs, will grow participation. People like saving $$.

Weather forecast definitely is iffy for Saturday. Hopefully get at least one run in. Sunday looks better. Hate to have flown in from California and then see no racing although it has happened to me before.

As to having three runs, only Pro Stock has more than 16 cars so everyone is getting in for TF and FC. What would be the point of the cost of three runs for the teams when they are assured of getting in the field?

" Hoping to go to Div 7 at Wild Horse, but web site says nada about that race."
Current schedule is for Div. 7 LODRS regular race on Thursday-Friday, September 9-10 and a LODRS Regional on Saturday-Sunday, September 11-12.

DIVISION 7​

March 19 - 21The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Regional)Las Vegas, NV
September 9-10Wild Horse Pass Motorsports ParkChandler, AZ
September 11-12Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park (Regional)Chandler, AZ
October 7-8The Strip at Las Vegas Motor SpeedwayLas Vegas, NV
October 9-10The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Regional)Las Vegas, NV
October 15-16Tucson DragwayTucson, AZ
November 4-7The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Regional)Las Vegas, NV

In the absence of racing, turn on the SEC channel at 7 pm central today to watch my #1 Arkansas Razorbacks baseball team playing in front of a packed house at college baseball’s best stadium as they look to secure the series against #9 Florida. We won last night 6-1.

Edit - it’s raining in northwest Arkansas. The game is weather delayed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Dave. I guess I meant that the Wild Horse web site has no Div 7 info, so kinda made me wonder.

In the absence of racing, turn on the SEC channel at 7 pm central today to watch my #1 Arkansas Razorbacks baseball team playing in front of a packed house at college baseball’s best stadium as they look to secure the series against #9 Florida. We won last night 6-1.

Edit - it’s raining in northwest Arkansas. The game is weather delayed.
Us LSU baseball fans says "hello". Even if we are not that good this season, we always leads the nation in college baseball attendance. Anyway good luck to your Razorbacks and win the series.;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back