Alan Johnson also going to Salinas (1 Viewer)

demo and recycling go hand in hand. When we "bid" big demo jobs we are actually buying the rights to recycle the scrap. Most big jobs the company has roughly figured out what the scrap value in the building is and then your bid is the price you are willing to pay them to tear down and recycle the scrap. The last big project we did we paid the company 2 million, up front, to be allowed to tear it down and recycle it. The building was an old GM plant and was full of production equipment at one time. The equipment was gone but all the wiring remained. As we tore the wiring out we had equipment that stripped it and we loaded it into 20 yd rollouts, each roll off scrapped out at $80,000. We had trucks running in and out 24/7 for 2 weeks, came out with 9 Million in scrap, all the scrap, copper, Al., steel, etc.

Bid meeting get real interesting sometimes. All the contractors show up and the company says we are not paying you to tear the building down, half the people leave. Then they say you are going to pay us to tear it down, another half leave. Then they say you are going to pay us upfront and you wind up with the same 3-4 companies bidding.

demo and recycling go hand in hand. When we "bid" big demo jobs we are actually buying the rights to recycle the scrap. Most big jobs the company has roughly figured out what the scrap value in the building is and then your bid is the price you are willing to pay them to tear down and recycle the scrap. The last big project we did we paid the company 2 million, up front, to be allowed to tear it down and recycle it. The building was an old GM plant and was full of production equipment at one time. The equipment was gone but all the wiring remained. As we tore the wiring out we had equipment that stripped it and we loaded it into 20 yd rollouts, each roll off scrapped out at $80,000. We had trucks running in and out 24/7 for 2 weeks, came out with 9 Million in scrap, all the scrap, copper, Al., steel, etc.

Bid meeting get real interesting sometimes. All the contractors show up and the company says we are not paying you to tear the building down, half the people leave. Then they say you are going to pay us to tear it down, another half leave. Then they say you are going to pay us upfront and you wind up with the same 3-4 companies bidding.

Interesting perspective Ken!

I typically am the one that takes our stainless shavings to the recycling place (1300lbs this morning, about 1 1/2 times a week on the way to my real job downtown). Very interesting to be somewhat of a regular there and see what comes in as "scrap" (to the extent that I'm surprised that some of the guys are willing to be fingerprinted and photo'd when I see many many spools of brand new copper wire on the spool in the back of their dump trailers). Owner seems to run a very profitable business and treats his employees well.

is it not amazing, my first thought always is, you know that wire is stolen. Who in their right mind is going to scrap new copper wire unless it is 100% profit.
My first career was in Aerospace, I worked for a major company. I also scrapped on weekends, I went to the scrap yard one time and there was guy there trying to sell two "drop" cut offs from a forged slab. The slab had a part number on it, the guy was trying to convince him it was legit. I recognized the part number prefix and called the scrap guy to the side and told him where it came from. He refused to buy it.

Very enlightening, thanks Ken.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back