Accuracy in the Media (1 Viewer)

None

Nitro Member
I received this in an e-mail from Speed Sport news, which I have subscribed to for many years. Sorry for the cut and paste but can't find a direct link and there is a link to a column by Mike Knight which is pretty good stuff.

Is The Media Always Accurate?

Dear Motorsports Fans;

In the wake of Danica Patrick's recent Indy Car victory in Japan, and Ashley Force's significant win over her father, John Force, in NHRA Funny Car competition, there have been a number of inaccuracies in the media.

We'd like for you to take a look at one of our colleague's blogs:

SpinDoctor500blog

Mike Knight is a veteran motorsports public relations representative and journalist. You can read his bio on his blog site. Mike has challenged the media the past two weeks regarding the reporting of these historic events, and we'd like to assure you that at National Speed Sport News we strive to be accurate and timely.

You won't find these kinds of mistakes in our paper or on our web site. And, if we do happen to get it wrong, we say so.

We appreciate your loyalty, and if you know of anyone else, who wants the real story in motorsports today, please direct them to National Speed Sport News!

Very truly yours,

Corinne Economaki
Publisher

Very interesting read.........and you have to love the Economaki name on the piece! :)

It amazes me how many "reporters" don't check facts. I see things all the time in the newspaper, TV, internet etc. that is factually incorrect. I know everyone makes mistakes, according to my wife I do it all the time but how hard is it now days to check your facts. With the amount of information from quality reliable sources on the internet there is no excuse to not check facts.

I had an article published in a national magazine a few years ago and I spent far more time checking facts then I did writing the article. I even check facts when I post thing here. The least a "reporter" could do if they are too lazy to check their facts is to use liberal amounts of "I believe" and I may be wrong" in their articles.

Man that was a great read. I wish we had more motorsports friendly people like that in the media.
S/F
D

You know, as a person who has worn many hats -- from professional journalist and marketing manager to pr person and publicist, I have always try to report the facts. That's the way I was taught in college, and I just have this thing about telling the truth. As I have progressed in the motorsports world, I have to say that there have been a few shining examples to follow, and Susan is right at the top of that list... Great job for calling them to task, Susan!

From a sponsorship standpoint, this whole event in our sport (Ashley winning FC) has the potential to bring in a lot more sponsors, and create interest in the "best value in sponsorship." BUT..... Together, as a community, we have to keep up the great work, and not let the ball drop!!! We're on a roll here!!!

just my 2¢ worth...

Matthew
--
Vice President Consumer Distribution
AmberAlert.com

“Have you ordered your AMBER Alert Child ID Kit yet?”
AMBER Alert Child ID Kit

Matthew, they actually taught you to just report the facts in college and not be a left wing political activist posing as a reporter? Wow, that had to be a long time ago! Just kidding Matt, continue to fight the good fight!

Rich

Thanks in part to people like Mike Knight, the whole Danica controversy has actually brought alot of exposure to Professional Drag Racing. It sure didn't hurt to have so many loyal drag fans cry foul immediately following, and to have Ashley win within a week later put the icing on top.

Humans are lazy, reporters are both human and lazy. You can get any ,or misinformation on the Internet and the lazy bleepers write what ever they find there right or wrong.

Back when you basically had to get news from someone who was there.
Not so much now you can get a thousand times removed opinion fresh off the Internet 2 hours after the event.
2 sides of the coin.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back