Who won the media race? (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
I watched the race today and I crudely timed the in focus, non racing, exposure of professional drivers at Indy today, from the start of the telecast to the end of the first round. Disclaimer, this is not scientific and not meant to portray an exact amount of media exposure. Make what you will from these numbers.

John Force-6:50 (in minutes, seconds)
Tony Schumacher-6:50
AFH-6:23
Cory Mac-3:40
Don Garlits-1:45
Larry Dixon-2:10
Jack Beckman-1:45
T. Pedregon-1:30 (thanks to the 09 incident)
TJ Zizzo-60 seconds
Hector Arana-60 seconds
Bob Tasca-60 seconds
Hagen-45
Troxel-45
Capps-45
Hines-40
Wilkerson-40
Hight-40
Langdon-30
Greg Anderson-25
Bernstein-10
Brown-10

Anyone see anything interesting here? If anyone taped the show, you could probably derive a much more accurate data set.

I think Antron got a lot more than ten seconds what with the "What can he do in less than four seconds" bit.

I watched the race today and I crudely timed the in focus, non racing, exposure of professional drivers at Indy today, from the start of the telecast to the end of the first round. Disclaimer, this is not scientific and not meant to portray an exact amount of media exposure. Make what you will from these numbers.

John Force-6:50 (in minutes, seconds)
Tony Schumacher-6:50
AFH-6:23
Cory Mac-3:40
Don Garlits-1:45
Larry Dixon-2:10
Jack Beckman-1:45
T. Pedregon-1:30 (thanks to the 09 incident)
TJ Zizzo-60 seconds
Hector Arana-60 seconds
Bob Tasca-60 seconds
Hagen-45
Troxel-45
Capps-45
Hines-40
Wilkerson-40
Hight-40
Langdon-30
Greg Anderson-25
Bernstein-10
Brown-10

Anyone see anything interesting here? If anyone taped the show, you could probably derive a much more accurate data set.

Watched live on ESPN3.... Saw cars on the track, some top end interviews, very little fluff... but did see the Ant Brown thing...

I suggest the same thing I used to tell my mother when she'd ***** about the scantily clad women on TV....change channels if you don't like it. No one is holding a gun to your head. Decisions are made on the make up of the show and they are obviously not going to be to everyone's liking every time. If it upsets you that much, either write or call to voice your opinion or quit watching.

the antron thing was part of an upcoming add for charlotte, i was very happy with todays show and all weekend coverage, loved the live show sunday minus football cutting in and delaying the show

Maybe what we should be thinking is, "why invest in an NHRA pro team if three racers get 90% of the non-racing coverage."

It is in NHRA's best interest to insure all pro teams get representative coverage, therefore adding to the pro's sponsors return on investment.

Every team has a story to tell and skilled reporters can make paint drying interesting.

I guess I'd say that Force's marketing guy is earning HIS money....what about the other guys. and why isn't anybody crawling Schumacher? He has the same amount of YOUR time as John does doesn't he?

Maybe what we should be thinking is, "why invest in an NHRA pro team if three racers get 90% of the non-racing coverage."

It is in NHRA's best interest to insure all pro teams get representative coverage, therefore adding to the pro's sponsors return on investment.

Every team has a story to tell and skilled reporters can make paint drying interesting.
How much coverage would the Forces' have had.....if they hadn't won the damn thing? Probably would have jacked that 6:50 down, huh?

Should we be shocked that three of the top 4 reached the finals in their ladder, and the other was trying to become the all time nitro winner at the Big Go?

Folks, look at the original post, he only timed to the end of first round. If all things were equal, then every driver should have equal time.

Ideally, if your team progresses, then of course your coverage would go up, with the winner getting top coverage (but that wasnt looked at on this thread).

What I get out of those numbers, the Forces' got twice as much coverage as the 2nd person, who got twice as much as the third...and so on. You could say that the the majority of coverage was by the Forces' and amount of time for other racers exponentially decays after that.

You could get that ESPN could care less about sponsors (other then those paying for commercial time) and care more about ratings (catering to the populartity of Force and hyping up the Schumacer at Indy / Garlits thing).

Isn't that the business? Unfortunate for those of us who don't care about Force and tune in to watch the racing.

how about the 'MOTORCRAFT' letters atop one of tasca's trailers?
don't know if they planned it or not (in view behind nhra today set) as it read backwards,
but it showed clearly for entire nhra today 1/2 hour broadcast. that's exposure

Last edited:
I found the original post instructive. It is possible to enjoy the coverage while suggesting improvements. That is what I took from the post.
It is, actually, possible to have a choice other than the current coverage or "change the channel."
I remember trying to watch the SuperNationals coverage on an antenna fed, and very weak, signal while going to school at the University of Wyoming. The picture was execrable and the commentators noted the unusual wheelstanding of the Super Stock AMX's. Do you remember when the wheelstand was to be avoided at all costs - except for the AMX? I do.
The coverage is much better today. I'm glad for that.
It could be better. So, don't change the channel. Keep watching and suggesting improvements. Some of the suggestions may actually be improvements.
We can all be glad for that.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back