A Message from Susie Oberhofer (1 Viewer)

FC Girl

Nitro Member
Susie would like to ask everyone who has a speculative opinion on what has happened involving Scott's crash, to please refrain from those posts.

She thanks everyone who has and is sharing sincere condolences for the families involved.

All of the families are experiencing extreme amount's of pain, and reliving every moment, every second, of this incident. Every issue of this accident is being addressed by the appropriate people and the direct parties involved.

She asks that you please remember Scott, share positive moments and his accomplishments in Drag Racing, on and off the track that will help people laugh and start the healing process.

Please do not try to contact her at this time, she will come back in Her Time.

I am honored to have a friend like Susie and this was a very simple request from her.

Thank you,

Nancy Matter for Susie Oberhofer

Thank you KC for posting this. Your name came up in one of mine and Susie's conversations yesterday, so I thought it fitting for a nice start to healing for her requested post.

Take care everyone and have a great day!!!

Written by KC Spurlock

A loss, any loss is difficult to come to terms with and to comprehend. THIS loss has been hard for many, myself included. Scott was my age, we shared the same zeal for life, love of friends and family and passion for driving. And ... Scott was one of two signatures on my upgrade Fuel license in 1990.

I would like to share a story of Scott that immediately came to mind .. and that in a time of sorrow, made me smile and laugh as I reflected on my friend.

I did not know Scott very well in 1990, but my crewchief Ronnie Swearingen did. Aftermaking my upgrade runs in Ennis I needed one additional signature on my license. We were at AFT in LA and so was the Kalitta crew. Ron asked Scott to watch the video in our lounge and sign my license. As he exited the lounge, Scott looked and me and said something to the effect of "I signed it" .... I thanked him and we went our separate directions.

Sunday night after the pictures were taken and the champagne sprayed, Ronnie and I were in the lounge relaxing while the crew loaded the car so we could go celebrate. The door to the lounge opens .. and there is Scott ... no wait, uh oh ... it looks like "Eddie Kalitti" is paying a visit. Beverage in hand, he looks at Ronnie and I, looks at the Wally sitting on the table and states "Do you know how damn long it took me to win one of those? I knew I shouldn't have signed that license!" With that he turned around and opened the door ... while "Eddie" walked on out ... Scott turned around. flashed a HUGE smile and said "Congratulations"

I knew right then, that I had a friend for life ...

Each of us will choose to mourn and celebrate Scott's life in our own way. Me? I am going to the bar tonight and drink through the sorrow, until only the wonderful memories of my friend remain.

And ... I am going to buy one and set it on the bar for Eddie ... you just never know when he may show up!
Last edited by KC "Hollywood" Spurlock; Today at 01:02 PM.

My thoughts, prayers and all my love are with EVERYONE involved with the Kalitta family!!!!!

Suzie better stay off the web if she don't want to read about speculation. It's the interweb, people can and will post there opinion about the crash and what happened. My heart goes out to the family and everybody in the Kalitta org.

Thank you Nancy!!!
I'm glad Susie has a good friend like you right now!

Please take care of yourself and let her know we all love her and are thinking of her.

:bighug:

And thanks for posting KC's great story!!!

Let's have some more cool Scott stories!

Wayne

THANK YOU Wayne!!!! Very Much, I will share this with her in a bit when I call her to check in.

any funny stories you may have, please feel free to share them!! She, along with everyone else, could savor in the fine memories of their loved one, Scott, aka Eddie, oh and that's Eddie Munster in case any one needs to know.

:)

Last edited:
THANK YOU Wayne!!!! Very Much, I will share this with her in a bit when I call her to check in.

any funny stories you may have, please feel free to share them!! She, along with everyone else, could savor in the fine memories of their loved one, Scott, aka Eddie, oh and that's Eddie Munster in case any one needs to know.

:)

Thanks Nancy.. I was wondering if it was an Eddie Munster reference.. Scott will dearly be missed.. I still have a pic the "ex" took of Scott down at the Texas Motorplex. He's standing in the transporter door holding his son.. Man that was like 14 yrs ago now.. I'll have to dig it out and post it up...

I was a crew guy for Darrell Gwynn from 1985 to 2002 and over the years off and on spent time at the track and off the track with Scott and all of the Kalitta gang,well 1988 I got engaged at the Cajun Nationals and when Scott
found out he came over and busted my chops about it and said why screw up all the fun we all were having,then at columbus when I walked over to Scotts trailer he starts singing "going to the chapel and your going to get married" all of the guys laughed there butts off... Scott was a great racer,father and friend and I will miss him very much....

Last edited:
I was a crew guy for Darrell Gwynn from 1985 to 2002 and over the years off and on spent time at the track and off the track with Scott and all of the Kalitta gang,well 1988 I got engaged at the Cajun Nationals and when Scott
found out he came over and busted my chops about it and said why screw up all the fun we all were having,then at columbus when I walked over to Scotts trailer he starts singing "going to the chapel and your going to get married" all of the guys laughed there butts off... Scott was a great racer,father and friend and I will miss him very much....

Thanks for sharing Tony!!!:)

To the family, friends, and extedned racing family of Scott Kalitta my deepest sympathy...No words, however kindly meant, can sooth your pain away, but may the thoughts around you help you make it through today. And may each day that passes bring you hope and comfort too, and through the memories and the heartfelt prayers of friends who mourn with you....God Speed Scott.

I Second The Request Of Susie Or Third And Fourth . That Family Over There Realize It Or Not , Is The Biggest And Tightest Group Going Out There At The End Of The Day . I Have Noticed That There Has Not Been A Lot Of Speculation , Even Though All Of Us Have A Heavy Heart And An Opinion . Lets Save That For Another Time And Let The Greatest Family In All Of Drag Racing Have Their Moment . This Is So Tough For So Many And Please Lets Grant The Request Of Susie And The Rest Of The Family .

This Is So Hard To Accept For All Of Us Typers , Imagine The Family . God Speed Scott ; Father , Husband , Friend , Racer , And The Best Guy In The Other Lane A Racer Could Ask For .

Connie And The Rest Of The Family Is In Our Families Prayers .

Well this is a sad sad day....I have in my collection of photos a picture of Scotts car when he ran top fuel. It is a parting shot with chutes deployed. Now the interesting part is the chutes are pink and say cory mac on them!!! As far as the back story goes...Well from what I was told Scott and Cory used to play some good jokes on each other. Hopefully someone can give some more info on the whole story. If I had a scanner on this computer I would post it...Godspeed to Scott. and prayers to the family and team

I just spoke to her and she greatly appreciates the kind thoughts.

She sounded better as she has spoken at length to both of her brothers and of course her mom & dad.

Announcements will come very soon along with arrangements.

Please keep the good stories coming as I know she will love to read them when she is ready. Smiling and laughter will be the best therapy.

Take care,
Nancy

Well this is a sad sad day....I have in my collection of photos a picture of Scotts car when he ran top fuel. It is a parting shot with chutes deployed. Now the interesting part is the chutes are pink and say cory mac on them!!! As far as the back story goes...Well from what I was told Scott and Cory used to play some good jokes on each other. Hopefully someone can give some more info on the whole story. If I had a scanner on this computer I would post it...Godspeed to Scott. and prayers to the family and team

:D:D:D:D

Cory said today that he & Scott did in fact do a bunch of pranks; some x-rated & some pg-rated!!! :lol:
I'd love to hear the full story & see that pic!!! Thank you Ken!

Thanks for the update Nancy; we all appreciate it!!!

Susie is very proud of her brothers!!! I can't even begin to tell you how much.

I spoke to her at the end of the coverage, no words can express the emotions that her and her family are experiencing, as well as so many that are so close within the racing community.

I'm lost for words now, and for those of you who know me, I can talk a lot, but maybe we should all just take a moment and call our loved ones and tell them that we love them, or hug our kids or even hug the pet that we have.

You just never know.

God Speed Scott!

With love and kindness to Connie, Doug, Cathy, Corey, Colin and All of the Oberhofer Family and to everyone else that I dont' mention here.

Please keep these families in your thoughts and prayers. I know we will.

Nancy

Jim O & Jon O were awesome today. Those two are such a class act. Obviously good upbringing! Randy said the Kalitta teams and those from many other cars spent the late afternoon in the Kalitta hospitality area having adult beverages & telling "Eddie" stories. I even reminded Randy of one they'd forgotten about. Scott was quite a holy terror in his younger days and even more spectacular when "Eddie" came out to play! Of course, the rest of the boys never helped matters any. In some ways, it's a wonder none of them ever ended up in jail.....LOL

This has been a miserable weekend for so many. Hopefully, the wealth of memories about Scott will help dull the pain.

Susie, hugs to you & your folks. I'll see the boys in Seattle.

And, "Hello" to Tony Mills & K.C. Spurlock.

Pat "Ma" Green

Thanks Nancy!

Our thoughts and prayers go to the family, team, etc.

Please give Suzie a hug if you see her before me.

Thanks Nancy!

Our thoughts and prayers go to the family, team, etc.

Please give Suzie a hug if you see her before me.

X2

Nancy. Thank you so very much for doing this, and if you do see Suzie give her a big hug from myself and all of the drag racing community in Australia. This is such a tough deal. but lets keep those good stories coming through guys because they are the one thing right now that can all bring a smile to our faces.

I will write a little piece of my time spent with Scott (not that it was long) and some of the gang after Etown last year, even though I wasn't sure if I would add it, since it isn't a big story, but it is a moment I had.

Last year I was lucky enough to be with Andy who crews on Tim Tindles PM team (as they were giving me a ride back to the hotel) After we packed the car up, we headed over to the Kalitta bus, where Scott, The Cowboys, Hillary, Del and some of the Worsham crew, James and Sherri (James and I ended up talking each others heads off about Blaine and Drag Racing :) and there was also JR who was wearing some pimp style hat dancing on the golf cart, very funny at the time, were all hanging out winding down after a long weekend. Everyone was just kicking back having a good laugh, I was at the time just in awe to be around the presence of these people especially Scott, someone who I use to watch over and over on the 93 Diamond p review tape (Just loved that maroon Kalitta Air car) Anyway whilst James and I were talking, some tension between Del and Scott broke out, I thought "Oh my Scott is going to hit Del" The Cowboys cooled the situation down, keep in mind everyone’s had a bit to drink, and I believe from memory it was about… you guessed it racing, I'm sure someone will remember this particular evening. Anyway a few moments later Scotty had that big grin on his face. I can't give you any quotes because sadly I can't remember, probably because all I can remember was trying to take in what James was telling me. I remember at the time being so bummed my camera had died earlier, and even more so now. But least I have that as a little memory. It's not everyday a kid from Australia is allowed in with a circle of people like that, but that just goes to show what kind of a team the Kalitta family are.

I also remember getting to have a brief chat with Scott in Pomona 06 about his plans of going back to Australia, he was excited and seemed so interested to talk about it, even though he was getting hounded for autographs and had to get back to work. He was very easy to talk to, and it really shows us all what a guy Scott was, a hard racer but a nice guy outside of the roll cage.

RIP Champ.

And to the Kalitta family and friends just sending you all a big hug and lots love from down under.

Regards,

Michael

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back