4-wide small suggestion (1 Viewer)

I'm not really against doing something different that may possibly attract some new audience members. My biggest complaint is that I am simply unable to follow what is going on with 4 cars going down the track. I keep moving my focus from lane to lane with the net result of not really seeing anything. It may be my advanced years, or my ever shrinking attention span, but I just seem to miss what's going on. I often wonder when I'm trying to watch the 4 Wides if anyone else has the same trouble with seeing "the whole picture" or it's just me.
The problem is the wall between lanes 1/2 and 3/4... Tear Down The Wall.... We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control... It's a boy Mister Compton, It's a Boy....

2nd round of qualifying, Funny Car fires the first engine at 4:55, Chad Head has a shut off, at 5:00 the rest of the cars start qualifying, they finish at 5:12, Top Fuel fires at 5:14 and is over at 5:28. 12 and 14 minutes of fuel qualifying. Somebody remind me what's so great about 4 wide racing.

2nd round of qualifying, Funny Car fires the first engine at 4:55, Chad Head has a shut off, at 5:00 the rest of the cars start qualifying, they finish at 5:12, Top Fuel fires at 5:14 and is over at 5:28. 12 and 14 minutes of fuel qualifying. Somebody remind me what's so great about 4 wide racing.
Only 16 Top Fuel, 17 nitro Funny Cars and 16 Pro Stock cars, I guess not even the race teams are excited about 4-wide!

TV keeps telling me (the viewer) how great it (4wide) is. It's a friggin snooze-fest. Too much going on in too brief a time span when it actually has a car or two make a full pass. It's like trying to count the number of flashes in a strobe light. I give up trying to keep up and just go microwave a hotdog and watch Game of Thrones.

Like someone said here already, it seems to give the TV folks more time for fluff, and they don't need it. Ditch all the flash backs of races two and three years ago (if they can't find interesting exciting stories at a drag strip on the day, they should just point the cameras at the track and join me for a hotdog because they're really not digging very deep at the track for a story). Ditch the huge overwhelming amount of stats they LOVE to shove my way (honest, historical reaction time, career best et, and performance trend over the last few races about covers it). Ditch all the "away" from track coverage unless there's a good tech story. They could have filled us in about the driver change story while the cars are backing up, but they insist on whipping that 'ole drama wagon into action and build a big story about it. The cars are why we watch. If I want the latest trend in trailer gossip, I'll watch the E channel.

Report Card

F - 4 wide
F - ESPN coverage
D - Exciting Qualifying (just call it jockeying for position, because it's hardly cars qualifying for an event anymore)

NHRA, your parents are gonna be pissed when you eventually get around to showing them your grades.

Does it seem to anyone else like the drivers are told to promote the 4-wide concept or told not to say anything negative about it? John Force was just interviewed and to quote" I'm not going to say if I like it or not", sounds like maybe that would be a big NOT!

He only wants it in Vegas to give the drivers more experience with it. Basically he said something to the effect of if they're going to do it they might as well do it in Vegas too so the drivers get more experience with it.

The problem is the wall between lanes 1/2 and 3/4... Tear Down The Wall.... We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control... It's a boy Mister Compton, It's a Boy....
Gotta love the Floyd reference. My 2 loves in life, drag racing and Pink Floyd

Why is it that one drag race can be contested 4-wide and the rest of them are 2-wide, and a few races can't be contested at 1,000 feet on short shutdown tracks and the tracks that have plenty of shutdown still race to 1,000 feet? Too difficult for crew chiefs to figure out? I have watched many drivers run well past 1,000 feet today under power.

NASCAR races on 1/2 miles, 1-miles, 2 1/2 miles and road courses.

Why is it that one drag race can be contested 4-wide and the rest of them are 2-wide, and a few races can't be contested at 1,000 feet on short shutdown tracks and the tracks that have plenty of shutdown still race to 1,000 feet? Too difficult for crew chiefs to figure out? I have watched many drivers run well past 1,000 feet today under power.

because so far bruton smith was probably told 'no racing to two different lengths', so his next idea was 4-lanes and
nhra had to say yes because bruton understands product diversity and he was going to have it @ his new zmax dragstrip
or it may have never been built.
I would think if bruton was asked about racing to 2 different lengths he'd be a supporter immediately.
yes, there are pros and cons, but so what, figure out how to overcome the cons and just do it.
Even for one year if 2-4 events would race to 1320', it mite be surprising the uptick in attendance we mite see.
Same goes for sat. nite elims. with at least the last 2 rounds under complete darkness.

The Lucas Oil Quartermile Northstar Nationals

Because the racers run the show, same reason only 1 night session, no more quickest 16 cars get in, no rules changes to slow cars/ cost. When a few teams make up the entire field their influence is disproportionate. Until the NHRA straps on a set the Pro end of the sport will continue to decline.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back