Line Opens 4-Wide Nationals Qualifying in Second (1 Viewer)

Event: 2nd annual VisitMyrtleBeach.com 4-Wide NHRA Nationals

Day/Date: Friday, April 15, 2011

The first day of qualifying for the VisitMyrtleBeach.com 4-Wide NHRA Nationals challenged racers on numerous levels. Not only would they be racing in the four-wide format for the first time in over a year, but they would be doing so with a redesigned “Christmas Tree” intended to simplify the starting line procedure. As if that were not enough, with storms threatening to cancel Saturday’s action, there was added pressure on the competitors to make sure they were safely in the field on Friday evening.

Fortunately, Jason Line and the Summit Racing team were up to the task, making two solid passes down the zMAX Dragway quarter-mile, with their 6.576-second, 210.77 mph best in the afternoon session slotting them second behind teammate Greg Anderson.

“Our Summit Racing Pontiac was really good today,” said Line. “Although it rattled the tires a little bit tonight, it still made a decent run. However, Greg (teammate Anderson) went 6.56 so there is certainly room for improvement, but we’re still happy with our performance.

“The new tree is a big improvement, and I have to give the folks at Compulink and the NHRA credit. It’s ten times better than last year, and I think you saw the evidence of that in how many sets of four cars made it down the racetrack relatively close together.

“I’m still trying to get used to the four-wide racing. After all, I had been racing two cars at a time since I was 15, so it’s a little different. But honestly, tonight was kind of fun, because the staging process was a lot better, which made it more comfortable. I think it will grow on everyone as we get better at it, so kudos to Bruton for trying something to spice up our sport and do something for the fans, because they’re the ones that make it all happen. If they like it, I love it.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back