4-wide small suggestion (1 Viewer)

Nobody

Nitro Member
Haven't seen any 4-wide debates started yet this year so thought I would throw this out there.
Moving the staging light to one row with the multi-element LED was a good idea IMO.
Why not take it one step further and offset the stage bulbs so the drivers would have a better perspective of where their bulb is?
Left tree: :cool: II :cool::cool::cool: Right Tree: :cool::cool::cool:II:cool:

4 wide is alright, but I'd rather them do it for just qualifying, if they have to do it at all. They really should do traditional side by side two wide for eliminations. That being said, my kids and I will be there this weekend, cause they love the 4 wide.

I have mixed feelings about 4 wide. Being from 'across the pond' and doing 1 trip a year I really want to do 4 wide but to do as a 1 off race with no races the weekend either side is not an option. For me it is seeing as much racing as I can for the big dollars I have to spend so to go to a race where I only see half the racing is not an option. If the NHRA put on a race a week either side I am there but no way I am going over to see half a race but I am told you gotta do it once. Maybe it will still be around in 25 years when I retire and buy a RV and follow the tour. That is if we are still burning nitro 25 years from now.

As an exhibition fine, but only 1 winner should move on. I would still like to see 4-wide jets go at it in person.
As a race no. I went for the tryout year and was excited to see it in person but was disappointed. It sounded and felt cool but had no idea what happened.
Thought maybe on TV it would be better...nope. Last year didn't even both watching it.

To those that mention only doing it in qualifying that doesn't work. Teams would only get 1 pass on each race lane then. That's gonna mess them up come Sunday.

As long as it stays as a once per year deal, then fine I can live with it. It's just not a race I'll go to anymore.

I don't like 4 wide. But I do think they should add one more round. When they get to the field of 4, they should take the first and second cars and make them run head to head for a final round.

I'm not really against doing something different that may possibly attract some new audience members. My biggest complaint is that I am simply unable to follow what is going on with 4 cars going down the track. I keep moving my focus from lane to lane with the net result of not really seeing anything. It may be my advanced years, or my ever shrinking attention span, but I just seem to miss what's going on. I often wonder when I'm trying to watch the 4 Wides if anyone else has the same trouble with seeing "the whole picture" or it's just me.

I have mixed feelings about 4 wide. Being from 'across the pond' and doing 1 trip a year I really want to do 4 wide but to do as a 1 off race with no races the weekend either side is not an option. For me it is seeing as much racing as I can for the big dollars I have to spend so to go to a race where I only see half the racing is not an option. If the NHRA put on a race a week either side I am there but no way I am going over to see half a race but I am told you gotta do it once. Maybe it will still be around in 25 years when I retire and buy a RV and follow the tour. That is if we are still burning nitro 25 years from now.

I agree totally with your wanting to see several races in a row while you're here. But, calling the 4 wide "half a race" puzzels
me. I guess it's a mater of opinion, like is the glass half empty, or half full.
We still have the same amount of cars (16) at both traditional, and 4 wide events.

Lets break it down to compare the two. Each time a car makes a pass, or run, we'll count it as 1.
4 - WIDE ) Sun. first rd we have 4 groups of 4 for 16 passes/runs.
second rd we have 2 groups of 4 for 8 passes/ runs.
third rd we have 1 group of 4 for 4 passes/runs.
TOTAL =28

Now traditional ) Sun first rd 8 pair of 2 for 16 passes/runs.
second rd 4pair of 2 for 8 passes/runs.
third rd 2 pair of 2 for 4 passes/runs
fourth rd 1 pair of 2.passes/runs.
TOTAL = 30

So to a point you are right, on race day we see 2 less passes @ 4wide than at a traditional race, per pro class.
Now at 4wide we have the bike class, so that means 2 less runs X 4 pro classes = 8 less runs.

If asked if I would trade 8 passes for double the roar, double the vibration, double the smell, I would say............
OH HELL YEAH!!!
there is truly NOTHING like it. PERIOD

All things considered, I still don't like the fact that a car/bike can lose twice and still win the race. That's just not quite right in my book.

Lets break it down to compare the two. Each time a car makes a pass, or run, we'll count it as 1.
4 - WIDE )
Sun. first rd we have 4 groups of 4 for 16 passes/runs.
second rd we have 2 groups of 4 for 8 passes/ runs.
third rd we have 1 group of 4 for 4 passes/runs.
TOTAL =28

Now traditional )
Sun first rd 8 pair of 2 for 16 passes/runs.
second rd 4pair of 2 for 8 passes/runs.
third rd 2 pair of 2 for 4 passes/runs
fourth rd 1 pair of 2.passes/runs.
TOTAL = 30

hmmmm....by my math that is 7 races per class in the 4-wide vs. 15 races per class for traditional 2-wide

I'm not saying if you enjoy the 4-wide there is anything wrong with that, but I don't enjoy only seeing half as many races (especially on TV when it gives them twice as much time for "fluff")

NOT WATCHING THIS WEEKEND... I'll skipped watching vegas because of this, will skip the frisco race, bristol, V2, C2.... 1/4 of the season I don't care about because of Mr. Smith

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back