4-Lanes of Nitro (3 Viewers)

StarLink Now $299

Oh and to answer the other question, ONE winner. Just like a track meet, you may have runners in all 8 lanes, but only 1 winner.

Sunday, SunDAY, SUNDAY! Come see five passes of funny cars! Four passes in first round, then the FINAL! Don't be late or you'll miss the whole thing!

From one that has not been pleased with nhra's decisions in recent years, I give credit where it's due. They are on to something big here.
This year an exhibition -
next year perhaps ...an all run nitro elim. ;)

After thinking last night about the extra 2 lanes being used for the 4 wide exibition I got to thinking about the fact that there may not be much rubber in the right hand pair for traction. I'm glad to see from the Pinks All Out pic that there is some rubber going down on that pair. I hope there'll be enough out there for a good show.

I'm sorry, but it's a lot bigger angle from a car. From the stands, you're seeing it from the side.

As for "rocket science", have you ever raced? The goal is absolute focus. Minimum eye movement. You never want to move your eyes (let alone your whole head) very far. Just a few inches down from the stage bulb, there's your top yellow... focus... focus... GO.

What about cars that have little or no side view (eg most funny cars)?

And none of what you say addresses the staging process. How exactly does the courtesy stage work?

There is NO WAY they'll run four cars at once in a National Event. Even NHRA, as meandering and off the rails as it seems to be lately, isn't that silly.

That is nonsense. if you sit anywhere near the starting line you have a much smaller angle to the plane of the tree then any driver in a car. Were you sleeping during high school geometry?

Your reading comprehension needs work. I clearly said if worse came to worse they could just put a bulb on top of each tree which would be the logical or of anyone having lit both bulbs. Same could be done for courtesy staging except in that case it would be the logical and of the pre stage bulbs. It isn't rocket science just simple modifications to the present tree system.

Yes I have raced with greater then 3K passes. It is beyond silly to say a driver can't see to the side and still hit the tree. You have to do it now in order to courtesy stage. In fact the comp license physical checks for tunnel vision. You must have really poor peripheral vision if looking to the other side of the tree bothers you.

I'm always amazed about how some people view any change to what they know as a threat and impossible to accomplish. Good thing not everyone is stuck in the past or we would still be living in caves eating raw meat. If you don't want to see four lane racing fine but don't make up supposed problems which anyone thinking about it for a minute can solve.

Gang seeing the tree is an easy fix. (here I go, dateing myself again) If you think it will be hard to see just go back to an overhead tree. Yes, instead of being on a pole comming out of the ground, we had the tree hanging down from a wire....like a traffic light. Problem solved.

(side benifit) never lost a tree till they put them down on the ground. :D

Sorry Zap, you missed one.

About 1974, give or take a year or two, I was racing another Fiat, he was in the left lane, at Irwindale. He had taken off his wheelie bars...and when he left the line...did a giant wheelstand...both rear wheels off the ground with the body teetering on the push bar. Never lifted and when the rear wheels hit, it launched the car into the air...across the track. Fortunately, I was having ignition problems and mine was shooting some ducks...so I had a birds eye view of the Fiat, horizontal to the ground, striking the HANGING tree at Irwindale. I was on the brakes as could...and stopped just short of the wreckage from when he came back to earth, slamming into the right hand guard rail. There were parts and pieces of the tree...plus a lot of shattered glass to compliment the busted up Fiat. He came out of it with no injuries, except to pocketbook and pride.

There's still a bunch of folks that were there that night that remind me of it frequently.

So, there has been at least one hanging tree lost to an errant (and flying) race car!!!

Take care and stay well.

MaC

MaC you got me there sir. But you must agree, when they put the tree on the ground we started loosing them much more often.

Glad you & the other guy came out OK.
See you in Indy ???

Zap

Those in attendance are going to witness something big. I am fascinated by how it was approved so quickly with so little debate from an organization that is so focused on safety. Could this mean a 32 car show sometime?

... and I remember seeing a shot from Cecil County that had 4 floppers (Brutus and JJ being 2 of 'em) as well...
1972 at Budds Creek Dragway, now MIR. One of the first drag races I saw live, freaked me out as all I knew about drag racing was from drooling over issues of Car Craft back in Sweden

Few people believe it, good thing Steve Reyes was there -> 4-wide at Budds Creek

Regards
PiPPi
HarleyDrags.com

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back