2023 Schedule (1 Viewer)

NHRA.com indicates full 2023 schedule will be announced on Labor Day. 21 races which I think they are going back to Houston or adding a new track.

VMP seems to always have weather issues. I would guess it’s the Franklins decision and not NHRA’s. I’m glad Bandimere is still on the schedule.

If accurate(not questioning or doubting Bobby and CP) VMP falling off is disappointing for me personally. My closest race.
Man.....WTF. It's my closest track as well. The Franklins have put a lot of effort and money into that track and facility. They are building a hospitality structure/real building to replace the tents at the end of the grandstands. The rough in site work was in process during this last race. Have done some plumbing work in the rest room etc. The franklins run 2 PDRA races there as well as well as the Shakedown Nationals. I can't imagine it being the Franklin decision to not have race if this is true. Since its return to VMP it's been well attended.
Man, this is gonna suck hard if true. I will be surprised if it is,

EDIT: They've also added new LED lighting and wireless (at least for facility needs).

Last edited:
NHRA.com indicates full 2023 schedule will be announced on Labor Day. 21 races which I think they are going back to Houston or adding a new track.
I've seen quite a few people mentioning another race in Houston next year. What is the situation with HRP and is it staying open afterall?

So does Maple Grove tho.
Rain really affects the ability to turn a profit. Losing a day of ticket sales is the difference of turning a profit and taking a loss. Houston has always seem to have rain issues and that is a large part of the reason they are off the schedule as well.

In '18 I only went on Sunday, but the weather was good, no rain.
In'19 I went for all 3 days....great weather no rain.
'20 and '21 damn COVID and no VMP races.
This year, rain off and on for Fri and Sat but all pro qualifying got in. Sunday was good weather. Unless one considers hot bad weather. There was a couple of issues with the tree this year, not sure what the issue was though.

I've seen quite a few people mentioning another race in Houston next year. What is the situation with HRP and is it staying open afterall?
The track will be open for at least the first half of next year. The big TX2K race for street cars announced months ago that they're having a race there in mid-March. NHRA said earlier this year that despite that, they weren't planning on having another national event there in 2023. But we'll find out tomorrow if they changed their mind.

looks like may 2023 will only have one race (joliet). wonder if they are trying to schedule a div. 3 regional a week before so the track can host back to back races?
also 3 weeks off between norwalk and bandimere. maybe not a bad idea, as bandimere starts first of 5 races in 6 weeks.

May in Chicago often has cold weather and rain, September and October have fantastic weather, favorable for car performance and customer comfort, plus the sun is @ an angle that showcases the cars, giving an otherworldly effect
The three Rt 66 races that were held in the fall were legend

Hopefully the next Joliet is drier than the last one. If you weren't on pavement, you were given the option to either park at the circle track or get stuck in the mud. We went circle track and measured it at 1.5 miles from the trailer to the staging lanes. The situation was handled very well by the staff in making sure we were taken care of and never missed a call, but it was definitely a bit inconvenient.

IFirst annual race at 66 was last week end of May 1998 and it was hot
Yup you're correct, the first one was hot. All new blacktop didn't help either. The summer weather around here seems to always break in after Memorial Day weekend. So having a race here the 3rd weekend of May will be a bit interesting.

Sounds as though this was the only viable weekend for scheduling without reshuffling the schedule.

The last race at Wild Horse will be in March. Feb is usually good weather here, but March could make a big difference. I'm going anyway. I really hope they have the Div 7 race as well.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back