2023 Schedule (1 Viewer)

GumbyWVU

Nitro Member
Was looking on NHRA.com, under "schedule", there is a drop-down option for 2023. Already posted is Gainesville (March 9-12), Phoenix (March 24-26), Pomona (March 30-April 2), then the Vegas 4-wides (April 14-16).

Anyone heard about when the rest of the schedule will be announced? Seems odd to have the "Winter"Nationals over April Fools Day, lol.

I hate to suggest this, and I hope it doesn't happen, but maybe NHRA is phasing out the California based Winternationals because of (insert your reason here).

I don't know about others, but I am absolutely hating the the season starting in March with the Gatornationals, instead of February in California
I've made a hand full of trips to the Winternationals over the years. The weather was always better than Chicago, but it was still sketchy. I canceled a couple of trips because or rain. Sat all weekend to watch one session of nitro cars another time. One year we raced out there it snowed. Hopefully once Phoenix drops, it'll get moved back a little earlier for tradition sake.

I've made a hand full of trips to the Winternationals over the years. The weather was always better than Chicago, but it was still sketchy. I canceled a couple of trips because or rain. Sat all weekend to watch one session of nitro cars another time. One year we raced out there it snowed. Hopefully once Phoenix drops, it'll get moved back a little earlier for tradition sake.
Sure, sometimes February California weather is not ideal, but how many years have we fried in Indianapolis or soaked in RT 66 rainstorms and tornadoes?

I don't know about others, but I am absolutely hating the the season starting in March with the Gatornationals, instead of February in California

I agree 100%. Season should start in Pomona. And I hate it starting in March. Nothing better than that cool, crisp air out at Pomona on a mid-February morning combined with the excitement of seeing the first race of the year. And that's a long-ass time from the Finals to the new date for the Gators. Grumble, grumble. Boo. Hiss.

But, I will still go to the drags at Pomona regardless of what date it is on. Even July! Enjoy it while we can, until CA outlaws it!

Last edited:
I liked the February start as well but I'm guessing the reason for the change is to reduce cost for the racers. Cost wise, it never made sense to me to go Pomona-Phoenix-Gainesville-Vegas.
Looks like I will catch the first four next year. Caught first five this year with Houston final race.

I liked the February start as well but I'm guessing the reason for the change is to reduce cost for the racers. Cost wise, it never made sense to me to go Pomona-Phoenix-Gainesville-Vegas.

Yes, in terms of travel, it makes a lot of sense. Probably the only real reason for the change. And with the Biden inflation to get much worse, it will hopefully help to hold the 2023 season together.

But I'm a guy who hates most changes in life, so I'm just blowing off a little steam here : )

I would imagine it would return to normal in 2024 with Pomona and then Vegas starting the season. I wonder if the Winternationals may move up a week to give Vegas more cushion time-wise for their traditional NASCAR race on the schedule.

NHRA sent out an e mail for those who want to renew tickets for 2023 Wild Horse AZ Nationals. So I renewed on line, same seat as last year, same price (!). Will go on Friday as I always do. Hoping they will have the Div 7 race a few weeks later.

NHRA sent out an e mail for those who want to renew tickets for 2023 Wild Horse AZ Nationals. So I renewed on line, same seat as last year, same price (!). Will go on Friday as I always do. Hoping they will have the Div 7 race a few weeks later.
Still can't believe that track is going away...

Sure, sometimes February California weather is not ideal, but how many years have we fried in Indianapolis or soaked in RT 66 rainstorms and tornadoes?
Well you're always going to fry at Indy. Those July RT66 dates were always sketchy, unfortunately those dates were a NASCAR punching bag.

I think with Pomona, here's a chance to save the racers some money and move the event to a little more predictable weather date.

I remember a few years ago (before the "Biden Inflation") the idea being floated of moving Gainesville to the first race of the season to save the racers some money. so I'm not completely surprised.

Same price eh? That's encouraging. It's been quite a few years since ticket prices were raised, that I can recall.

Thought it was odd at Norwalk we couldn't renew on Sunday for next year as we have in the past. That made wonder if there wasn't perhaps a schedule change coming there too.

Same price eh? That's encouraging. It's been quite a few years since ticket prices were raised, that I can recall.

Thought it was odd at Norwalk we couldn't renew on Sunday for next year as we have in the past. That made wonder if there wasn't perhaps a schedule change coming there too.
I heard from some friends in Norwalk that they were going to change the ticketing program they use and it would be difficult To use the old system with a changeover on the horizon.

Was looking on NHRA.com, under "schedule", there is a drop-down option for 2023. Already posted is Gainesville (March 9-12), Phoenix (March 24-26), Pomona (March 30-April 2), then the Vegas 4-wides (April 14-16).

Anyone heard about when the rest of the schedule will be announced? Seems odd to have the "Winter"Nationals over April Fools Day, lol.
It's time the NHRA considered the cost of transporting teams and equipment back and forth across the country. With Gainesville being the first race of the season, the teams then head west for the next three races and the costs are exponentially cut. Considerable savings are the result. Even for the big teams! Good thinking NHRA.

Spoke to Glen Cromwell at Sonoma yesterday. He indicated rest of 2023 schedule will be announced at the U.S. Nationals. No surprise there. I asked if any new races will be on schedule to replace Houston and he indicated maybe. The fact that he didn't say no makes me believe there is a good likelihood of a new venue in 2023.

Spoke to Glen Cromwell at Sonoma yesterday. He indicated rest of 2023 schedule will be announced at the U.S. Nationals. No surprise there. I asked if any new races will be on schedule to replace Houston and he indicated maybe. The fact that he didn't say no makes me believe there is a good likelihood of a new venue in 2023.
Id like to see columbus make a come back or rt 66

I believe Tulsa will be on the schedule around the previous Houston date. Thinking April 28-30th between Vegas1 and Charlotte1. Rumor was because of lack of pit space, it would be a race with Alky cars through the Pros. No sportsman racers on that weekend.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back