2006 Countdown to the Championship update (1 Viewer)

Well, in that same breath, think of it this way. The 2006 season is a fluke in the points battles, the norm year after year has been that most of the Pro Class Champions have already crowned with three races still left in the season. At least this way most fans will still have a horse in the race up until Vegas, and like it or not, the last 2 races will be extremely exciting, and everyone of us will be glued to it watching it unfold.

AMEN! ESPECIALLY your last sentence, agree with you 100%!

Let nature take its course . . .

The 2006 season is a fluke in the points battles, the norm year after year has been that most of the Pro Class Champions have already crowned with three races still left in the season.

As we move ahead I'm not sure the statement above will hold true, I think the level of competition in all the pro classes is getting tighter of its own accord and its likely that we don't need this artificial points tightening scheme to see close points races at the end of the year.

I sure don't like it based on what it would have done to the Top Fuel and FC races this year, if we see 2 or 3 years like that in a row then hopefully they'll deep six it, unless of course we can get them to dump it before next year (yeah I know, fat chance).

Paul T.

Well, in that same breath, think of it this way. The 2006 season is a fluke in the points battles, the norm year after year has been that most of the Pro Class Champions have already crowned with three races still left in the season. At least this way most fans will still have a horse in the race up until Vegas, and like it or not, the last 2 races will be extremely exciting, and everyone of us will be glued to it watching it unfold.

Every Drag Racing Fan, Yes. but the average channel surfer, the non-fan? Isn't that the reason for the points race change? To bring in the non-fan?

I'll try to keep it to the short version, I've posted more details in the past

actually no. What makes seasons like this as well as last years funy car battle is that it is special. I like lobster and crab legs but If I had it every day it would lose something.
You can only go to the emotional drama pool so many times before it becomes meaningless. Look at tv shows, especially in this new "reality tv game show era" Who wants to be a millionaire was HUGE until the forced drama of it wore off, then it disappeared. Right now Deal or no Deal is big. But how many times can Howie fake to the contestant into the commercial break and still keep people's interest. Eventually the constant over dramatizing wears thin, people go numb and they turn away. Perhaps next year there will be a spike in the drag racing ratings but once this happens year after year we go numb and look to other things. Is it really all that exciting when we know that they are going to bunch everybody up again? I don't think so. If only the last couple of races matter now then way pay attention to the entire season?

Nascars ratings have gone down after the initial spike, could it be that their chase is going numb.

Right now every year we have 23 races of excitement. Even in years where somebody runs away with it they don't clinch until at most 4 races to go? Thats still 19 races of a championship 6 races for a fake champ.

I want to know that the champions are decided on the track and not by a welfare points system.

I'll try to keep it to the short version, I've posted more details in the past

I want to know that the champions are decided on the track and not by a welfare points system.

LOL!
But they will still have to come to the track to qualify for the welfare points, not sit on their dead ass at home and watch the mailman bring their check to the front door. :D

Every Drag Racing Fan, Yes. but the average channel surfer, the non-fan? Isn't that the reason for the points race change? To bring in the non-fan?

The non fan needs to be introduced to the product first, before "new and improved" points chases mean anything to them. That my friends is what NHRA should be doing, marketing the sport year round, working with sponsors to do cross promotions and getting the word out about national/divisional events months, not weeks prior to rolling into the markets. The NHRA needs to take advantage of its place in the motorsports marketplace before open wheel kisses and makes up and sports cars get out of their own way.

S/F
D

And, the 'points race' has to be out where people can see and understand it, NOT on ESPN2 at who knows what time.... check your local tiddlly winks championship Live broadcast to see when we can shoe horn The Chase in...

Nope, If Tom and the Glendora Elite really want to bring Drag Racing Main Stream, They will do what ever it takes $$$$$$$, and stop sinking $$$$$ into their own pockets and NHRA owned Tracks, starting by selling off their (OUR) tracks... LIVE Sunday Broadcast 23 weeks a year... from Noon 'til 6 PM...

otherwise? keep things like they are, but still sell off all the real estate and get the f**k out of the track ownership business

LOL!
But they will still have to come to the track to qualify for the welfare points, not sit on their dead ass at home and watch the mailman bring their check to the front door. :D

3 out of the 4 classes would have had racers with losing round records qualify for the chase

Kind of like a Wildcard Team in the NFL going all the way to the Superbowl.............................people always like to root for the underdog!

fine but only the top 6 teams make it into the nfl playoffs, they don't have to worry abouyt The Lions and Raiders playing on the same field at the same time they are

And I'm only going to root for the top two people after the Reading... and it doesn't matter to me if it's a JFR car or not... and if the points lead is huge after Reading... I'm still counting points by today's system.... extra paper work, but so what

First off, Chris, many thanks for taking the time to up date everyone one on this insane points system for next year. One thing is for sure ladies and gentlemen, as the world finals approach us, we are watching history. This will be the last time the "True Champions" will really earn their championships on what they do during the season on their own. It will "TRUELY BE DESERVED" this one last time, when they pick up their trophies at the awards ceremony. At this years ceremony the champions will be able to hold their heads up high and be very proud of what they did on their own, they got where they are, without any handicap system. They did it with their own blood, sweat and tears. Take the time to read PJ Sapienza's signature, it says it all. :mad:

Tony Stewart is sure putting egg on the faces of NASCAR by winning race after race while out of contention? I suppose we'll be rooting more for spoilers than winners?

Watchin the roundy-round boys right now, and I am just imagining what the boys at Glendora and ESPN would be like next year at this time :)eek: :eek: :eek: ) if a driver does what Stewart has been doing to the NASCAR group these past couple of weeks...

So, we cut down to looking at 4 cars in the Pro classes, and out of the ashes some (well deserving) driver and team get their $%*# together and lays the "TV Time" teams to waste in the last 3 races, like Tony is doing today. At least with a 500 mile race, you can still advertise the other points challanging teams during the race. What's our coverage gonna look like- lots of pitside coverage of losing Top 4 teams loading up the trailer and starting line interviews of drivers sitting on their quads watching the continuing rounds of eliminations?? Sounds like it will really generate a TON of excitement for me...:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back